Why are FF MILCs so Expensive !

Old September 13th 18, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Why are FF MILCs so Expensive !

Anyone ?
Old September 13th 18, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 13, 2018, David Taylor wrote
(in article ):

On 13/09/2018 18:41, wrote:
Anyone ?

The manufacturers wish to make a profit, as do their shareholders, and
the distribution and retail chain. Newcomers such as Nikon and Canon
will want to recover their development costs, and like to price the
items as "premium" products (and, of course, the great majority of users
don't need FF, so sales are likely to be relatively small, especially if
new lenses are required.

I think there's at least an element of truth in the above
tongue-in-cheek remarks!

....and there are a whole mob of non-pro individuals who are insanely brand
faithful, think they have the very best, and have been conditioned to believe
that FF is the only way, because that is what Canon & Nikon have told them.
Also FF sensors are more costly than M45, & APS-C sensors, just as MF sensors
are more costly than FF sensors. Just wait until folks hear what the new 100MB
MF sensor cameras are going to cost.

Remember, all the leading MILCs from Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, Fujifilm, and
even Leica have been going after the same pie eroding the sale of the Canon &
Nikon APS-C & FF DSLRs, and with Nikon 85% of their DSLR business is not with
FF, but APS-C. However, there has been massive loss of FF share to Sony, and
they are not going to take that sitting down.

Personally, I have no need for FF in a DSLR, or MILC, never have, and that is
one of the things which steered me away from Nikon 3 years ago.

Savageduck

Old September 14th 18, 01:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

You forgot the increasingly specious excuse about "wafer yields" for FF sensors. Or is that passe?

there's nothing specious about it.
Old September 14th 18, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 14, 2018, MC wrote
(in article ):

Savageduck wrote:

...and there are a whole mob of non-pro individuals who are insanely
brand faithful, think they have the very best, and have been
conditioned to believe that...

So, a bit like those who buy Apple products regardless of the obscene
Apple pricing model, maybe.
0)

Maybe for some.

Personally I buy and use Apple products, because they integrate well, and just
work for me. Before I started using iPhones (my first was an iPhone 4) I had a
Nokia “Brick”, a hard installed Alpine in my car, and various others
including Motorola, and Samsung. The iPhone just works for me, and I suspect
other folks have had the same experience, and are prepared to pay for that
familiarity.

I really don’t care too much what other folks use if it works for them, and
that goes for cameras. I still have, but haven’t used recently my analog film
Pentax, and Yashica cameras, along with my various digital cameras from Nikon,
Canon, and Fujifilm

Savageduck

Old September 14th 18, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 14/09/2018 01:30, RichA wrote:
[]
You forgot the increasingly specious excuse about "wafer yields" for FF sensors. Or is that passe?

Yes, that's a point. But just another reason to go for smaller sensors
which can do most jobs just as well.

--
Cheers,
David
Old September 14th 18, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , MC
wrote:

...and there are a whole mob of non-pro individuals who are insanely
brand faithful, think they have the very best, and have been
conditioned to believe that...

So, a bit like those who buy Apple products regardless of the obscene
Apple pricing model, maybe.

nothing like that at all, because there is no 'obscene apple pricing
model'.
Old September 14th 18, 09:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Davoud

MC:
So, a bit like those who buy Apple products regardless of the obscene
Apple pricing model, maybe.

Another pathetic case of Apple envy.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old September 15th 18, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

...and there are a whole mob of non-pro individuals who are insanely
brand faithful, think they have the very best, and have been
conditioned to believe that...

So, a bit like those who buy Apple products regardless of the obscene
Apple pricing model, maybe.

nothing like that at all, because there is no 'obscene apple pricing
model'.

I don't know if it's true, I heard Apple's profit-margins are something like
2x that of Samsung, etc.

it's not, not that it matters one way or the other.

if you don't think a given product is worth its asking price, don't buy
it.

meanwhile, apple and samsung are selling ****loads of phones. other
makers not so much...
Old September 15th 18, 02:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 15/09/2018 12:58, MC wrote:
Davoud wrote:

MC:
So, a bit like those who buy Apple products regardless of the
obscene Apple pricing model, maybe.

Another pathetic case of Apple envy.

Not at all. Just making a comparison in reply to a comment. In fact,
I have nothing against Apple (or Apple users). If Apple can get away
with their pricing structure and continue to profit as they do because
they can hold onto their customer base then good luck to them. To be
honest, I quite admire their business strategies for making such
profits, even though I find their pricing a tad obscene considering
their products, on the whole, do nothing more than fulfill the same
tasks as their competitors.

Just because I am a person who would rather pay substantially less for
a product to do a job just as well or, as is often the case, better
than products offered by other "overpriced" brand names, does not mean
I am envious of those who wish to spend a lot more for their products.
Why would I be?

To do a job just as well *for you*. I have an Android phone and iPhone,
and IME the iPhone gets stuff done with very little fuss and a very
shallow learning curve compared to the Android.

The Android is good - just not as good. For me.

--
Cheers, Rob