Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

Old April 19th 18, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Alan Baker

Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 2018-04-18 4:27 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:20:31 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

Bull****.
So it was the 10 layers of compound paths, not the conversion of text to
paths.

Hi Alan Baker,

*Are you technically competent with Adobe Illustrator?*

I'm not, but the printers are supposed to be.
I can only tell you that I gave them a perfectly good set of files.

1. PPT 2007 with entire "Roadgeek 2005 Series B" font set embedded.
file.pptx

2. That file, saved as PDF, with fonts embedded, using the official MS Office SAVE-AS-PDF Utility.
file.pdf

3. That file sucked into Adobe Illustrator CS2, & with fonts substituted.
file_after_embedding_font_but_before_converting_to _shapes.ai

4. That file with fonts converted to shapes in AI CS2.
file_after_embedding_font_and_after_converting_to_ shapes.ai

5. That #4 AI-shape file saved as EPS from AI.
file_after_embedding_font_and_after_converting_to_ shapes.eps

6. That #4 AI-shape file saved as SVG from AI.
file_after_embedding_font_and_after_converting_to_ shapes.svg

7. The download of the font set where the only font used was:
Roadgeek 2005 Series B

If you're technically competent, maybe you can explain why the printers are
telling me that Adobe Illustrator created the "compound paths".

They didn't tell you that. You are CLAIMING that.

" I can normally fix it, but the file from you has 10 layers of compound
paths, which is not normal. You didn't do anything wrong."

Nothing in there says that Illustrator created those 10 layers, and how
could he possibly know from just examining the files that you played no
role in the problem?

But even beyond that, why do you claim that it was Illustrator that
created the problem when it could easily have been your "official
SAVE-AS-PDF Utility"?

If you're not technically competent, then you'll just say "bull****", which
is what all the Apple Apologists say when they are confronted with facts
that they don't like.

I've worked in Illustrator since version 1.

So post all these files, and let's see if there's anything you've said
that ISN'T bull****.
Old April 19th 18, 12:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Alan Baker

On 2018-04-18 4:30 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Wed, 18 Apr 2018 23:18:28 +0000 (UTC), schrieb Ragnusen Ultred:

When importing a file from an older version of AI into a newer version, the
layers collect information into what are called "compound paths". This
messes up what has been outlined somehow.

BTW, while it's a fact that the Mac Adobe Illustrator screwed up,

That is not a fact.

it might
be the Adobe Illustrator and not the Mac that screwed up - which I can't
test and which wasn't tested - since we don't have a newer version of Adobe
Illustrator on Windows to test that out with.

So all I can state is the facts as they are presented to me.

You wouldn't know a fact if it jumped up and bit you in the ass.

I was hoping (beyond hope, as it turns out) that someone would be
technically competetent on this newsgroup - but there's zero chance of that
(which is why this thread was filled to the brim with Apple Apologists
bull****).

What does "competetent" mean?

I've posted the same information to the adult newsgroup, where I expect a
solution or at least a technically competent explanation soon.

Post the files, and lets see.

I've got up-to-date versions PowerPoint and Illustrator.
Old April 19th 18, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:36:51 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

So post all these files, and let's see if there's anything you've said
that ISN'T bull****.

The initial files had been posted for quite some time in the OP of
Can the latest Mac Adobe Illustrator read in Windows Adobe Illustrator CS2 "ai-format" files?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.mac.apps/xiJFl-xbD1o

The latest batch was updated where this is the most recent post:
Here are the updated files from Adobe Illustrator in CS2 on Windows.

0. With the Roadgeek 2005 Series B font set already installed into the
system font directory on windows...
http://www.fontspace.com/michael-d-adams/roadgeek-2005
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/333rxp7d/file.html

1. Starting with signs.pptx from MS Office 2007 on Windows which has the
entire font set embedded but which only uses "Roadgeek 2005 Series B"
fonts.
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/EqdGVdCQ/file.html

2. I saved that as PDF using the official Microsoft Office Save-as-PDF
plugin, with embedded fonts saved into the PDF as signs.pdf.
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/Zf65nNnd/file.html

3. I opened that PDF with Adobe Illustrator 12.0 from CS2 on Windows, which
popped up a form saying:
- Illustrator PDF: Warnings
- The document contains PDF objects that have been reinterpreted:
- The font Roadgeek#202005#20Series#20B is missing. (sic)
- Affected text will be displayed using a substitute font. (sic)
- I substituted the RoadGeek font

4. I then selected all with control a, and then pressed
AI: Type Font (I selected "Roadgeek 2005 Series B"
using the dumbest GUI there could possibly be for a font selection,
which is to endlessly scroll, manually, since typing "R" doesn't
work and AI is too stupid to have a scroll bar - but no big deal,
eventually it scrolled to the Roadgeek 2005 Series B font to then
save as "signs_with_font_substituted.ai".
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/Dm3XIJJm/file.html

5. I then pressed control+a and then control+shift+o to create outlines
and saved that ai file as "signs_with_outlines.ai"
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/JGit6LU6/file.html

6 And then I chose EPS to save as "signs_with_outlines.eps"
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/Vj43bvg2/file.html

7. And then I saved as SVG as "signs_with_outlines.svg".
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/KMSPgaup/file.html

When the #4 signs_with_outlines.ai is read into a current Mac Adobe AI at
the printers, the outlines are all screwed up.
Old April 19th 18, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:39:26 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

Post the files, and lets see.

I've got up-to-date versions PowerPoint and Illustrator.

Hi Alan,

I posted all the files, bearing in mind that the actual file to be printed
is 20 odd pages and it contains location data, so I posted the smaller
template that was sent out to everyone, for obvious privacy reasons.

In my previous note, moments ago, to you, I gave you all the files, the
fonts, the powerpoint, the Adobe Illustrator files with and without
outlines, the SVS and EPS files, etc.

The only file that likely matters though is this one, which is the adobe
illustrator outline file "signs_with_outlines.ai" which is located here.

https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/JGit6LU6/file.html
Old April 19th 18, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:39:26 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

BTW, while it's a fact that the Mac Adobe Illustrator screwed up,

That is not a fact.

This is the technical gist of what Neil said, just now, on the Windows
newsgroup...

It's good that they're being so nice to you, because they want your
business. However, what you ran into is no surprise to me.

Illustrator is a complex program that requires users to have a good
understanding of vector graphics programs.

I've used the AI program for over 30 years.
Old April 19th 18, 02:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Alan Baker

On 2018-04-18 6:27 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:39:26 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

Post the files, and lets see.

I've got up-to-date versions PowerPoint and Illustrator.

Hi Alan,

I posted all the files, bearing in mind that the actual file to be printed
is 20 odd pages and it contains location data, so I posted the smaller
template that was sent out to everyone, for obvious privacy reasons.

Riiiiiiight.

Because if I knew the location of signs about dog poop...

Old April 19th 18, 02:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Alan Baker

On 2018-04-18 6:21 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:36:51 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

So post all these files, and let's see if there's anything you've said
that ISN'T bull****.

The initial files had been posted for quite some time in the OP of
Can the latest Mac Adobe Illustrator read in Windows Adobe Illustrator CS2 "ai-format" files?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.sys.mac.apps/xiJFl-xbD1o

The latest batch was updated where this is the most recent post:
Here are the updated files from Adobe Illustrator in CS2 on Windows.

0. With the Roadgeek 2005 Series B font set already installed into the
system font directory on windows...
http://www.fontspace.com/michael-d-adams/roadgeek-2005
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/333rxp7d/file.html

OK. Got it, installed it, validated it.

1. Starting with signs.pptx from MS Office 2007 on Windows which has the
entire font set embedded but which only uses "Roadgeek 2005 Series B"
fonts.
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/EqdGVdCQ/file.html

2. I saved that as PDF using the official Microsoft Office Save-as-PDF
plugin, with embedded fonts saved into the PDF as signs.pdf.
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/Zf65nNnd/file.html

3. I opened that PDF with Adobe Illustrator 12.0 from CS2 on Windows, which
popped up a form saying:
- Illustrator PDF: Warnings
- The document contains PDF objects that have been reinterpreted:
- The font Roadgeek#202005#20Series#20B is missing. (sic)
- Affected text will be displayed using a substitute font. (sic)
- I substituted the RoadGeek font

So you substitute one RoadGeek font for another, or did PowerPoint ****
up the embedding?

4. I then selected all with control a, and then pressed
AI: Type Font (I selected "Roadgeek 2005 Series B"
using the dumbest GUI there could possibly be for a font selection,
which is to endlessly scroll, manually, since typing "R" doesn't
work and AI is too stupid to have a scroll bar - but no big deal,
eventually it scrolled to the Roadgeek 2005 Series B font to then
save as "signs_with_font_substituted.ai".

OK. I did it with the find/change dialog that came up in AI CC 2018. Not
my problem if you use bad software. Also not a Mac problem.

But I did it, and I noted that some of the text in the file was already
converted to paths before it was imported. All this

"CURB ‘UR" (where you used the wrong character for the apostrophe).
"PUPPY"

....was already converted to paths.

So how did that happen? Magic?

Your story starts to fall apart.

https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/Dm3XIJJm/file.html

And that file too shows the "magical" text which converted itself to
paths...

5. I then pressed control+a and then control+shift+o to create outlines
and saved that ai file as "signs_with_outlines.ai"
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/JGit6LU6/file.html

Where you stupidly added a stroke to the type you converted to totally
**** up the letter forms...

6 And then I chose EPS to save as "signs_with_outlines.eps"
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/Vj43bvg2/file.html

7. And then I saved as SVG as "signs_with_outlines.svg".
https://www119.zippyshare.com/v/KMSPgaup/file.html

When the #4 signs_with_outlines.ai is read into a current Mac Adobe AI at
the printers, the outlines are all screwed up.

Looks like operator error to me.
Old April 19th 18, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
Alan Baker

On 2018-04-18 6:30 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:39:26 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

BTW, while it's a fact that the Mac Adobe Illustrator screwed up,

That is not a fact.

This is the technical gist of what Neil said, just now, on the Windows
newsgroup...

It's good that they're being so nice to you, because they want your
business. However, what you ran into is no surprise to me.

Illustrator is a complex program that requires users to have a good
understanding of vector graphics programs.

I've used the AI program for over 30 years.

Yet you understand it so little...

....that probably did a web search, saw there was a version called "88"...

....and decided to put together a little brag.

Tell me little twit:

If you know Illustrator so well, why did you apply a 1.43 point stroke
around the letters you converted to paths?

Don't you know how bad that makes the text look?

Not only that, you applied strokes with rounded caps and corners,
further distorting the letter forms that were so very important to you.
Old April 19th 18, 03:23 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.system
Jolly Roger[_2_]

Old April 19th 18, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system
nospam

In article , Alan Baker

On 2018-04-18 6:21 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:

Your story starts to fall apart.

imagine that.

Looks like operator error to me.

was there ever any doubt?