Pentax Optio 555 - 110volt only charger ??

Old June 23rd 04, 11:04 PM
Texy

Default Pentax Optio 555 - 110volt only charger ??

OK, so I contacted an on-line US digi-cam dealer with a view to
purchase the above camera. I,m from England, but working in the US for
2 months or so. I was hoping to purchase the camera here, but still be
able to charge the battery back in the UK, by using a plug adapter.
Most items these days will accept 100v - 240v, but still require
a plug adapter (note : NOT a voltage converter).
The dealer is saying that the standard charger (in the US) is 110volt
only, so is trying to sell me the 110/240 volt version, which is
another $50.
Whilst I don't disbelieve him, I,d appreciate a 2nd opinion.

Cheers,

Texy
Old June 24th 04, 03:57 AM
Engineer

"Texy" wrote in message
om...
OK, so I contacted an on-line US digi-cam dealer with a view to
purchase the above camera. I,m from England, but working in the US

for
2 months or so. I was hoping to purchase the camera here, but still

be
able to charge the battery back in the UK, by using a plug adapter.
Most items these days will accept 100v - 240v, but still require
a plug adapter (note : NOT a voltage converter).
The dealer is saying that the standard charger (in the US) is

110volt
only, so is trying to sell me the 110/240 volt version, which is
another $50.
Whilst I don't disbelieve him, I,d appreciate a 2nd opinion.

Cheers,

Texy

I just bought a Sanyo NiMH charger for NiMH AA size cells. It's model
NC-MQH01U. Input 100 to 240 VAC (self adjusting, no switch), 50-60
Hz. Output 1.2 VDC, 2.3 amps. Cost was about CDN$35 at COSTCO (in
Canada), including 4 NiMH AA size cells.

Is this what you are looking for?

Cheers,

Roger

Old June 24th 04, 11:30 PM
Texy

"Engineer" wrote in message ...
"Texy" wrote in message
om...
[...]

No - I already have AA battery chargers.
The optio 555 uses a lithium ion cell and comes with a seperate charger.
I find it hard to believe that the charger is only 110v in this mordern day.

Texy
Old June 25th 04, 08:21 PM
Matthew Dranchak

"Texy" wrote in message
om...
"Engineer" wrote in message

"Texy" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Your original message did not specify the type of batteries that you wished
to charge.
Look at:
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/c...arch/search.pl
for a long list of Li-ion battery chargers and you should find one or more
that are capable of accepting 100-240 volt 50/60 Hz inputs. I am not
familiar with the optio 555 camera so I am unable to say whether or not
there is a charger specifically made for the batteries it uses. Peruse this
list and/or even call Thomas Distributing for help. I found them are very
friendly and helpful.
Matt D

Old June 26th 04, 07:20 PM
Texy

"
Your original message did not specify the type of batteries that you wished
to charge.
"

Well, it seems I was incorrect to assume that you'd know I was talking about
the battery and charger that came with the camera in question.
I,m still none the wiser - did anyone purchase this camera in the US ??

If so, what does the charger state its input voltage as being ??

Texy