30D image quality...

Old June 11th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default 30D image quality...

Hi Guys,
I have a Canon 300D & a 20D; I'm hoping to purchase a 30D in the
near future... But... I have just read in a photo mag, that, in there
opinion, the images are a little flat out of the 30D.
I have no problem with the images from my 300D or 20D... is
there something I should know re. the 30D before I make a purchase?... I
believe the 30D has the same sensor type & the same Digic 11 processor,
therefore, the images should be the same...???

Best regards... Rob

Old June 11th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Rob B wrote:
Hi Guys,
I have a Canon 300D & a 20D; I'm hoping to purchase a 30D
in the near future... But... I have just read in a photo mag, that,
in there opinion, the images are a little flat out of the 30D.
I have no problem with the images from my 300D or 20D... is
there something I should know re. the 30D before I make a
purchase?... I believe the 30D has the same sensor type & the same
Digic 11 processor, therefore, the images should be the same...???

Unless you really need a larger LCD and spot meter, there is very little
reason to jump from the 20D to the 30D--especially if you shoot in RAW mode
(which makes the new picture modes rather useless).
Same sensor...same images.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old June 11th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Rob B wrote:
Hi Guys,
I have a Canon 300D & a 20D; I'm hoping to purchase a 30D in the
near future... But... I have just read in a photo mag, that, in there
opinion, the images are a little flat out of the 30D.
I have no problem with the images from my 300D or 20D... is
there something I should know re. the 30D before I make a purchase?... I
believe the 30D has the same sensor type & the same Digic 11 processor,
therefore, the images should be the same...???

Best regards... Rob

On dpreview.com Canon 10/20/30 D forum, they seem to find them pretty
alike.
However, the 20D has been known to experience shutter failures and the
30D has
a more robust shutter system. This would probably be the biggest
reason to invest
in one.

Old June 11th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Im sure its a good camera but why not buy something that will be an
improvement you will notice like a 5d

Old June 11th 06, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

I've frightened myself by reading about vignetting when using full frame
sensors. Quite a few lens tests I've seen show that even 'L' glass can be
problematic in this area... At least I'll be able to use the lens's 'sweet
spot' with a 1.6 crop sensor.

Rob...

Old June 11th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Rob B wrote:
I've frightened myself by reading about vignetting when using full
frame sensors. Quite a few lens tests I've seen show that even 'L'
glass can be problematic in this area... At least I'll be able to use
the lens's 'sweet spot' with a 1.6 crop sensor.

Rob...

There is some when shooting very wide angle at large apertures, but for
landscapes, it would be unusual to shoot these wide open anyway. As someone
who was also concerned, I can tell you that the images I'm getting from my
5D are truly amazing. I haven't yet had the chance to do anything very
serious yet, as my schedule has been unbelievably horrible, but when you
view shots at 100%, the detail is stunning. Portraits are incredible, with
very nic eskin renditions and detail down to individual "peach fuzz" hairs.

The 5D is not for everyone, but that's as it should be. Rarely are cameras
of this calibre the best for the casual shooter. If you are a serious
shooter, and deliberate in your technique...the 5D's imaging capability is
really something.

-MarkČ

Old June 11th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Rob B wrote:
I've frightened myself by reading about vignetting when using full frame
sensors. Quite a few lens tests I've seen show that even 'L' glass can be
problematic in this area... At least I'll be able to use the lens's 'sweet
spot' with a 1.6 crop sensor.

I recall this was discussed at length, if "discussion" is the right
word. Prolly not. I don't recall the conclusion, if any, but it seems a
starting point is to wonder if the vignetting on ff digital is different
from (ff) film.

--
john mcwilliams
Old June 12th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

John McWilliams wrote:
Rob B wrote:
I've frightened myself by reading about vignetting when using full
frame sensors. Quite a few lens tests I've seen show that even 'L'
glass can be problematic in this area... At least I'll be able to
use the lens's 'sweet spot' with a 1.6 crop sensor.

I recall this was discussed at length, if "discussion" is the right
word. Prolly not. I don't recall the conclusion, if any, but it seems
a starting point is to wonder if the vignetting on ff digital is
different from (ff) film.

I think many folks have simply forgotten what ff film was like.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old June 12th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Rob B wrote:

I've frightened myself by reading about vignetting when using full frame
sensors. Quite a few lens tests I've seen show that even 'L' glass can be
problematic in this area... At least I'll be able to use the lens's 'sweet
spot' with a 1.6 crop sensor.

There are some who go around acting like every minor difference between
camera brands or models is a disaster so huge as to make WWII look like a
schoolyard squabble. Yes, there is some variation of light levels across
the frame with some lenses. No, it is not the end of the world, or even
more than a very minor annoyance. Remember, lenses with similar or lower
performance have been in use with full-frame sensors (aka "film") for more
than 70 years and during that time quite a lot of very, very high quality
images have been produced.

Rob...

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Im sure its a good camera but why not buy something that will be an
improvement you will notice like a 5d

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old June 12th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Shutter failures? Once again, you're full of ****.