Flower Snaps: Suggestions needed

Old June 26th 04, 05:15 AM
Saji R

Default Flower Snaps: Suggestions needed

Dear Friends,
Please see some of the snaps I shoot at

http://community.webshots.com/album/130972503hTjeXE

And please send me some suggestions to improve.

I would like to decrease the DOF and thus to increase the blurring of
other objects other than subject. I am using Finepix S5000 (Fuji
film). For that, When i set Shutter speed manually, it automatically
selects Aperature. If I select the aperature, then it automatically
selects to shutter speed. So, there is a limitation for me to set
these settings customized. Any one using Finepix here?

I felt that my digital camera's DOF is more than that of my SLR.
Especially in wider angles. So, please tell me how to decrease the
DOF.

thanks,
Saji R
Old June 26th 04, 07:31 AM
Rob Davison

Saji R wrote:

Dear Friends,
Please see some of the snaps I shoot at

http://community.webshots.com/album/130972503hTjeXE

Those look quite nice to me.

And please send me some suggestions to improve.

I felt that my digital camera's DOF is more than that of my SLR.

Yes. Because the sensor is much smaller than 35mm.

Especially in wider angles. So, please tell me how to decrease the
DOF.

Get a camera with a larger sensor (a dSLR) and a fast lens or experiment
with processing your images on a computer (select your subject, invert
the selection and apply a gaussian blur to blur the background).

Its very difficuilt to make that look as good as the real thing though.

HTH,

Rob.
--
http://www.pbase.com/mapleglen/
Old June 26th 04, 09:17 AM
Photodad2

in article , Saji R at
wrote on 6/26/04 12:15 AM:

Dear Friends,
Please see some of the snaps I shoot at

http://community.webshots.com/album/130972503hTjeXE

And please send me some suggestions to improve.

I would like to decrease the DOF and thus to increase the blurring of
other objects other than subject. I am using Finepix S5000 (Fuji
film). For that, When i set Shutter speed manually, it automatically
selects Aperature. If I select the aperature, then it automatically
selects to shutter speed. So, there is a limitation for me to set
these settings customized. Any one using Finepix here?

I felt that my digital camera's DOF is more than that of my SLR.
Especially in wider angles. So, please tell me how to decrease the
DOF.

thanks,
Saji R

Try using a slower film or adding a polarizing filter to reduce the amount
of light coming through the lens. You can also try taking the pictures at
dusk to reduce available light or even at night with a flash. If using a
flash, use a diffuser to soften the light.

Walt Hanks

Old June 26th 04, 10:13 PM
RSD99

You've got the right idea(s) ... some of those images are actually pretty close.

Next time ... take your own background with you.

(1) Go to the fabric (cloth) shop, and get a piece of black wool felt (or even velvet ...
if you can afford it) that is something like 3 feet by 3 feet (1 meter x 1 meter). Make
SURE that it is NOT a synthetic (polyester and etcetera) felt ... as those fabrics will
"sparkle" if any light gets on them. Wool felts (or wool/cotton velvets) will NOT
"sparkle."

(2) Go to the hardware store and get a couple or three pieces of 3 foot or 4 foot (1 meter
to 1.5 meter) long pieces of aluminum rod (or even cut wood doweling or cut steel re-bar).

(3) Next time you find a nice looking flower, assemble the pieces of wood into a frame
behind the flower, and drape the black felt over the frame to provide a good background.

(4) Diffuse the light with some scrims or diffusers "as required" ... and ENJOY!

Old July 2nd 04, 09:22 PM
Petri Kero

Saji R wrote:

Dear Friends,
Please see some of the snaps I shoot at

http://community.webshots.com/album/130972503hTjeXE

And please send me some suggestions to improve.

I would like to decrease the DOF and thus to increase the blurring of
other objects other than subject. I am using Finepix S5000 (Fuji
film). For that, When i set Shutter speed manually, it automatically
selects Aperature. If I select the aperature, then it automatically
selects to shutter speed. So, there is a limitation for me to set
these settings customized. Any one using Finepix here?

I felt that my digital camera's DOF is more than that of my SLR.
Especially in wider angles. So, please tell me how to decrease the
DOF.

thanks,
Saji R

Get a close up lens and use wide aperture and max zoom. That is all you
can do..

Petri