spots in lens

Old September 3rd 06, 08:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bucky

Default spots in lens

I discovered that I have spots in my lens on my Canon SD200, which is
an ultracompact. The spots are in the exact same places (upper right)
in every photo. It is very obvious when at maximum zoom, although you
can see faint spots with no zoom as well. I'm pretty sure it's not on
the outside of the lens because I wiped it with lens cleaner and
tissue, and it made absolutely no difference.

max (3x zoom):
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...999/zoom3x.jpg
wide (no zoom):
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...999/zoom1x.jpg

Do you think they are water spots or dust inside the lens? Is this
fixable? Can I do this myself, or have to take it to a repair shop?
This really sucks because it pretty much ruins every photo, especially
when I zoom in and the background is light.

Old September 3rd 06, 10:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"Bucky" wrote in message
ups.com...
I discovered that I have spots in my lens on my Canon SD200, which is
an ultracompact. The spots are in the exact same places (upper right)
in every photo. It is very obvious when at maximum zoom, although you
can see faint spots with no zoom as well. I'm pretty sure it's not on
the outside of the lens because I wiped it with lens cleaner and
tissue, and it made absolutely no difference.

max (3x zoom):
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...999/zoom3x.jpg
wide (no zoom):
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...999/zoom1x.jpg

Do you think they are water spots or dust inside the lens? Is this
fixable? Can I do this myself, or have to take it to a repair shop?
This really sucks because it pretty much ruins every photo, especially
when I zoom in and the background is light.

Hi

The spots are inside the camera and probably on the sensor.

They are not on any part of the lens. Anything on or in the lens will just
degrade the whole of the image area.

While you might well get the camera stripped down sufficiently far to clean
the sensor, it would be unlikely that you could re-assemble it and get it
back in full working order.

It is much easier just to remove the spots using an editing program.

Roy G

Old September 3rd 06, 10:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

"Roy G" wrote in message
"Bucky" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Add some clouds to improve the composition.

Old September 3rd 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Bucky wrote:
I discovered that I have spots in my lens on my Canon SD200, which is
an ultracompact. The spots are in the exact same places (upper right)
in every photo. It is very obvious when at maximum zoom, although you
can see faint spots with no zoom as well. I'm pretty sure it's not on
the outside of the lens because I wiped it with lens cleaner and
tissue, and it made absolutely no difference.

max (3x zoom):
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...999/zoom3x.jpg
wide (no zoom):
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...999/zoom1x.jpg

Do you think they are water spots or dust inside the lens? Is this
fixable? Can I do this myself, or have to take it to a repair shop?
This really sucks because it pretty much ruins every photo, especially
when I zoom in and the background is light.

If they are definite well defined spots they are NOT on the lens.
Spots on the lens, especially near the middle of the lens, do not
appear focused at the image plane. They create ghosts or flares. For
instance, you do not ordinarily see the aperture polygon as you stop
down.

More likely these are something inside the camera.

This is not to say you should not keep lenses clean, but the effects
are flare, ghosts, loss of contrast, not spots in the image.

Old September 3rd 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Bucky wrote:
I discovered that I have spots in my lens on my Canon SD200, which is
an ultracompact. The spots are in the exact same places (upper right)
in every photo. It is very obvious when at maximum zoom, although you
can see faint spots with no zoom as well. I'm pretty sure it's not on
the outside of the lens because I wiped it with lens cleaner and
tissue, and it made absolutely no difference.

max (3x zoom):
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...999/zoom3x.jpg
wide (no zoom):
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...999/zoom1x.jpg

Do you think they are water spots or dust inside the lens? Is this
fixable? Can I do this myself, or have to take it to a repair shop?
This really sucks because it pretty much ruins every photo, especially
when I zoom in and the background is light.

These are almost certainly the result of dust on your sensor. This is
unusual for point-and-shoots, but quite common for DSLRs. Unfortunately,
it's just abou impossible to clean the sensor in a non-DSLR...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old September 4th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bucky

Thanks for contributing your opinions.

These are almost certainly the result of dust on your sensor.

One thing I'm confused about though, if it were dust on my sensor,
shouldn't the spots be identical regardless of zoom? Yet in my case,
the spots are very defined at 3x zoom, but very faint with no zoom.
Doesn't this seem like it is more like dust on one of the internal
lens?

This is
unusual for point-and-shoots, but quite common for DSLRs. Unfortunately,
it's just abou impossible to clean the sensor in a non-DSLR...

Yeah, I had read that digital point and shoots have sealed sensors,
which is supposed to prevent this scenario.

Old September 4th 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Bucky wrote:
Thanks for contributing your opinions.

These are almost certainly the result of dust on your sensor.

One thing I'm confused about though, if it were dust on my sensor,
shouldn't the spots be identical regardless of zoom? Yet in my case,
the spots are very defined at 3x zoom, but very faint with no zoom.
Doesn't this seem like it is more like dust on one of the internal
lens?

Hmm... Take several shots of a clear blue sky at different focal lengths
(avoid using "digital zoom"...only use optical zoom, since digital zoom will
give odd perceptions of the size of the spot). If the spots remain in the
same place...it's dust on the sensor. If it moves around...then you're
right, and it's definitely NOT on the sensor. Either way...there's little
you can do about it short of sending for cleaning/repair.

Old September 4th 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Clara

"Bucky" wrote in message
ps.com...
Thanks for contributing your opinions.

These are almost certainly the result of dust on your sensor.

One thing I'm confused about though, if it were dust on my sensor,
shouldn't the spots be identical regardless of zoom? Yet in my case,
the spots are very defined at 3x zoom, but very faint with no zoom.
Doesn't this seem like it is more like dust on one of the internal
lens?

In my experience, it's not the zoom, it's the aperture.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old September 6th 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

Bucky wrote:

I discovered that I have spots in my lens on my Canon SD200, which is
an ultracompact. The spots are in the exact same places (upper right)
in every photo. It is very obvious when at maximum zoom, although you
can see faint spots with no zoom as well. I'm pretty sure it's not on
the outside of the lens because I wiped it with lens cleaner and
tissue, and it made absolutely no difference.

max (3x zoom):
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...999/zoom3x.jpg
wide (no zoom):
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...999/zoom1x.jpg

Do you think they are water spots or dust inside the lens? Is this
fixable? Can I do this myself, or have to take it to a repair shop?
This really sucks because it pretty much ruins every photo, especially
when I zoom in and the background is light.

Hello, Bucky:

My Kodak DX6490 (12x "super zoom") has the same problem. It's similar
to your "zoom3x.jpg" example, except there's a single spot, on the
lower-left quarter of the image. It even appears in the EVF (electronic
viewfinder) and LCD panel, in fact, and with very few exceptions, is
only visable in sky shots.

As others have already publicly replied, with this type of issue, the
sensor, itself, must be affected. Someday, I may work up the courage to
dismantle the camera and try to remove the spot. g

Good luck!

Cordially,
John Turco