Canon 17-55 2.8 Launch Date

Old March 10th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Canon 17-55 2.8 Launch Date

Anyone know when the Canon 17-55 2.8 launch date is?

I have already seen 30D's for sale, but not this lens.

Old March 10th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Mmm, so informative. Care to expand?

"John A. Stovall" wrote in message

Why should anyone care? It's just another EF-S and limited from the
start to Canon's lower end models.

Old March 11th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

John A. Stovall wrote:
On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 19:50:50 -0000, "Colin" wrote:

Anyone know when the Canon 17-55 2.8 launch date is?

I have already seen 30D's for sale, but not this lens.

Why should anyone care? It's just another EF-S and limited from the
start to Canon's lower end models.

Then my advice to you is not to buy it.

----- Paul J. Gans
Old March 11th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Colin" wrote in message
Anyone know when the Canon 17-55 2.8 launch date is?

I have already seen 30D's for sale, but not this lens.

It will be available in May in the US. The 30D is available for pre-order,
won't be shipped from dealers until late March at the earliest - it's
available in Australia right now.

Mark

Old March 13th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Well, I would like to go full frame eventually, but not until the prices of
the bodies come down. The problem is it is either the 17-55 or a 24-70 2.8,
but the 24-70 is not really ideal at the wide end.

"Zed Pobre" wrote in message

He's a full frame snob. EF-S lenses only work on crop-sensor cameras
such as the 20D and 30D. There are tradeoffs in both directions, cost
being only one of which, in deciding on a full-frame or 1.6 factor
camera, and if you think that you might eventually not only purchase a
full-frame camera in the future but never again use a 1.6 factor
camera, EF-S lenses may be a bad long-term investment. If you are
likely to stay with the 1.6x line for the next decade or so, or like
me may eventually acquire full frame cameras but keep crop-sensor
cameras around for the better pixel density, then EF-S lenses are well
worth considering.

As to the release date, I'm afraid I don't know.

--
Zed Pobre a.k.a. Zed Pobre
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.

Old March 13th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:43:26 -0000, Colin wrote:

Cheers. Any idea when the UK will be getting it?

Park Cameras say 'New lens expected June 2006'

see http://www.parkcameras.com/cameras/slrcameras/canon.htm

--
Richard