Calibrating the monitor of an iMAC

Old March 22nd 09, 10:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
D-Mac[_11_]

Default Calibrating the monitor of an iMAC

wrote:
I have an iMAC about a year old. I am trying to calibrate the monitor
to assist in making photos. I have used the Spyder3 software and
colorimeter in the process. The problem is that the prints all come
out noticeably darker than the image on the screen. The Spyder people
say this is Apple's fault. The brightness control (really the
backlighting control) on the display will not sufficiently reduce the
brightness to get an accurate calibration. The only work around I see
is to reduce the brightness in Photoshop below what looked good on
the
screen and hope the printer responds by yielding a print of the
correct brightness. But this adjustment is completely ad hoc and is
just the kind of fiddling I hoped to avoid using the calibration
routines.
Two questions: 1) Does anybody have a better way to use Spyder3 to
compensate for this problem? 2) If not, what alternative calibration
system might be used that will avoid (or at least mitigate) this
problem? I read good things about the Macbeth systems, but will they
run into the same problem?
Thanks for the help.

Your problem is in the monitor set-up. Apple (for some odd reason) use a
gamma of 1.8 for their screens when every other computer on the planet
uses 2.2. Try setting your Gamma to 2.2 (The screen will darken) and
then calibrate it again.

Almost 100% of Apple monitor calibration problems are because the
starting point has nothing to do with colour. You need the get the gamma
right before you start.

Unless you paid $2000 plus for the monitor alone, it is not a backlit
monitor and you have no control over that function.

D-Mac.info

Old March 22nd 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , D-Mac
wrote:

Your problem is in the monitor set-up. Apple (for some odd reason) use a
gamma of 1.8 for their screens when every other computer on the planet
uses 2.2. Try setting your Gamma to 2.2 (The screen will darken) and
then calibrate it again.

they *used* to use 1.8, which started long ago so that the screen
matched the old laserwriter printers. they now use 2.2, but it really
makes no difference as whatever setting it's at is incorporated into
the display profile.

Almost 100% of Apple monitor calibration problems are because the
starting point has nothing to do with colour. You need the get the gamma
right before you start.

nonsense.

Unless you paid $2000 plus for the monitor alone, it is not a backlit
monitor and you have no control over that function.

all lcd displays are backlit.
Old March 23rd 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
D-Mac[_11_]

nospam wrote:
In article , D-Mac
wrote:

Your problem is in the monitor set-up. Apple (for some odd reason) use a
gamma of 1.8 for their screens when every other computer on the planet
uses 2.2. Try setting your Gamma to 2.2 (The screen will darken) and
then calibrate it again.

they *used* to use 1.8, which started long ago so that the screen
matched the old laserwriter printers. they now use 2.2, but it really
makes no difference as whatever setting it's at is incorporated into
the display profile.

Almost 100% of Apple monitor calibration problems are because the
starting point has nothing to do with colour. You need the get the gamma
right before you start.

nonsense.

Unless you paid $2000 plus for the monitor alone, it is not a backlit
monitor and you have no control over that function.

all lcd displays are backlit.

You are so full of bull****, nospam, I thing you ought have a bowl scan
for the pox.
Old March 23rd 09, 07:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
isw

In article ,
D-Mac wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Apple chose 1.8 specifically because it's representative of a printed
page (WSYWIG); the riddle is to figure out why M$ decided to use 2.2 (I
have my own suspicions).

Almost 100% of Apple monitor calibration problems are because the
starting point has nothing to do with colour. You need the get the gamma
right before you start.

Apple's included calibration app includes a pane to select gamma; it's
at the end of the process -- as it should be. Before you pick a gamma,
you need to correct the monitor's color tracking over the widest
possible range. After that, picking any particular gamma is easy.

Isaac
Old March 23rd 09, 07:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
isw

In article ,
D-Mac wrote:

nospam wrote:
In article , D-Mac
wrote:

[...]

Which parts are wrong, please -- I'd really like to know.

Isaac
Old March 23rd 09, 08:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

isw wrote:
In article ,
D-Mac wrote:

nospam wrote:
In article , D-Mac
wrote:

[...]

So would I. Sure, some B&W LCD displays are not backlit but all of
the ones that serve as TVs and computer monitors are.

--
Ray Fischer

Old March 23rd 09, 04:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 3/22/09 4:46 PM, in article , "D-Mac"

[...]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As usual, a spigot of ****ty information.

Macs haven't used 1.8 since the laserwriter days.

Go away.

Old March 23rd 09, 04:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 3/22/09 8:14 PM, in article , "D-Mac"
wrote:

nospam wrote:
In article , D-Mac
wrote:

[...]

Pot = Kettle

Old March 23rd 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
D-Mac[_11_]

Ray Fischer wrote:
isw wrote:
In article ,
D-Mac wrote:

nospam wrote:
In article , D-Mac
wrote:

[...]

For you who walk around with eyes closed.

"The XL20's LED-based backlighting system is another in a long line of
technology firsts". Read the whole story he

http://www.samsung.com/au/news/newsR...q=5064&gltype=

Just because a cheap monitor has a light behind the screen to let you
see an image in the dark does not mean it is a "Backlit" monitor.

If idiots who think they know it all bothered to do some research before
dribbling off at the mouth, they might gain a grain of knowledge. It's
hard to imagine your pea brain having enough space to do that Ray, but
at least try occasionally would you?

If you got your head out of your ass for a while and washed your face,
you'd realise you ain't that cool dude with sunnies you thought you were.

D-Mac.info
Old March 23rd 09, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , D-Mac
wrote:

"The XL20's LED-based backlighting system is another in a long line of
technology firsts". Read the whole story he

http://www.samsung.com/au/news/newsR...q=5064&gltype=

that refers to *led* backlighting as opposed to cold cathode
fluorescent tubes.

Just because a cheap monitor has a light behind the screen to let you
see an image in the dark does not mean it is a "Backlit" monitor.

then what does it mean? front lit?

If idiots who think they know it all bothered to do some research before
dribbling off at the mouth, they might gain a grain of knowledge. It's
hard to imagine your pea brain having enough space to do that Ray, but
at least try occasionally would you?

so not only do you not understand what backlit means, you spew insults
too.