Selling images around the world

Old January 19th 06, 07:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Selling images around the world

It would appear that the world of photography does not want me to leave
its ranks just yet. This morning I was notified that my application for
accreditation to photograph the A1GP racing series here in Durban has
been approved. I am thrilled that this happened before I sold all my AF
equipment!

What I need to know from people who would be in the know is this; what
is the going rate for selling images to international picture agencies
or specific publications? Obviously I have my local customer base, but I
will also want to sell internationally. How does one deal with the
billing and pricing as a freelancer?

--
DD
www.dallasdahms.com
Old January 19th 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"DD" wrote in message
It would appear that the world of photography does not want me to leave
its ranks just yet. This morning I was notified that my application for
accreditation to photograph the A1GP racing series here in Durban has
been approved. I am thrilled that this happened before I sold all my AF
equipment!

What I need to know from people who would be in the know is this; what
is the going rate for selling images to international picture agencies
or specific publications? Obviously I have my local customer base, but I
will also want to sell internationally. How does one deal with the
billing and pricing as a freelancer?

--
DD
www.dallasdahms.com
Central Scrutinizer

In all seriousness Dallas...
If you get any truly remarkable pictures. Ones suitable for sales as
posters, I will pay you cash up front and a royalty for the exclusive rights
to market them for 5 years. Motor racing is boring stuff photographically
speaking. Cars going round and round, sometimes sideways, sometimes not.

Get a shot of one rolling over or a couple of international recognisable
drivers punching it out or a picture of an International driver doing
something, (provided you have a model release) and you can look forward to
paying all your debts from the royalties alone.

You know my contact detail for when (if) you get the shots.

Old January 19th 06, 09:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

In article ,
p says...
In all seriousness Dallas...
If you get any truly remarkable pictures. Ones suitable for sales as
posters, I will pay you cash up front and a royalty for the exclusive rights
to market them for 5 years. Motor racing is boring stuff photographically
speaking. Cars going round and round, sometimes sideways, sometimes not.

Get a shot of one rolling over or a couple of international recognisable
drivers punching it out or a picture of an International driver doing
something, (provided you have a model release) and you can look forward to
paying all your debts from the royalties alone.

You know my contact detail for when (if) you get the shots.

Thanks Douglas, just looking at the Media Accreditation Terms &
Conditions, I don't think I would be allowed to sell commercial rights
to any images I take. Unless I am reading it wrong, I am limited to
editorial usage only, unless otherwise authorised by the series owners,
namely A1GP.

The Durban race definitely promises to be interesting though. We've been
having one of the hottest, most humid January's I can remember for a
long, long time. Today we have some respite, but it has been bucketing
down randomly since about 9pm last night! The circuit, while tight and
short, looks like it might just produce some good racing.

Can't wait!

--
DD
www.dallasdahms.com
Old January 19th 06, 10:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"DD" wrote in message

The Durban race definitely promises to be interesting though.

Nah - it would have to be a Formula 1 race for that to happen

Old January 19th 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"DD" wrote in message

Thanks Douglas, just looking at the Media Accreditation Terms &
Conditions, I don't think I would be allowed to sell commercial rights
to any images I take. Unless I am reading it wrong, I am limited to
editorial usage only, unless otherwise authorised by the series owners,
namely A1GP.

The Durban race definitely promises to be interesting though. We've been
having one of the hottest, most humid January's I can remember for a
long, long time. Today we have some respite, but it has been bucketing
down randomly since about 9pm last night! The circuit, while tight and
short, looks like it might just produce some good racing.

Can't wait!

I knew that Dallas! In Australia some joker sent a load of wannabe amateurs
on to the race tracks to take pictures without accreditation. Guess who's
black banned now?

Old January 19th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"DD" wrote in message

What I need to know from people who would be in the know is this; what
is the going rate for selling images to international picture agencies

You don't sell images to agencies. You place them there, hope somebody buys
from them, and await your commission.

Old January 19th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"DD" wrote in message

Pssht! The last time something interesting happened in F1 was when Jos
Verstappen's Bennetton Renault caught fire. I think that was back in
1995 (or was that Johnny Herbert?). Since then it's been about as
interesting as watching paint dry! ;-)

From what I've seen of A1GP thus far, it is wheel-to-wheel racing where
the driver makes all the difference, not the car.

That was the theory anyway. Unfortunately it's not just the driver - 90% of
the battle is in the ability of the team to setup the car. At the moment I
think France is a lot further ahead in A1 the Michael Schumacher ever was in
F1 - that sounds rather boring to me.

But we digress ...

Old January 20th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm

DD wrote:
It would appear that the world of photography does not want me to
leave its ranks just yet. This morning I was notified that my
application for accreditation to photograph the A1GP racing series
here in Durban has been approved. I am thrilled that this happened
before I sold all my AF equipment!

If you really wanted out...you wouldn't be "thrilled" at all.
You'd merely yawn...say, "ho hum" and reach for the remote control.

What I need to know from people who would be in the know is this; what
is the going rate for selling images to international picture agencies
or specific publications? Obviously I have my local customer base,
but I will also want to sell internationally. How does one deal with
the billing and pricing as a freelancer?

Ah...if only "being there" meant you automatically get purchase-worthy
pics...

If only...but alas...