which PC

Old June 7th 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randall Ainsworth

Default which PC

In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

The record shows that there are less attacks on Macs not that they are less
suseptical.

What record? You're full of ****.

If I were a Windows user, my next box would be an Intel Mac, so if I were
still afraid of a new OS, I could boot right into Vista or whatever.

My next PC is going to be a tablet.. something lacking in apples line up.

A tablet? Oh, you're the *one* that's going to buy one. Hurry up before
they stop making them because of the high demand.
Old June 7th 07, 03:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randall Ainsworth

In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

No its embedding personal data when a serial number would do the job without
giving away personal data that other people are not entitled too.

Who else is going to get that song that they didn't pay for?
Old June 7th 07, 08:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dennis@home

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

No its embedding personal data when a serial number would do the job
without
giving away personal data that other people are not entitled too.

Who else is going to get that song that they didn't pay for?

Other family members like yours do.Then its anyone's guess.

Old June 7th 07, 08:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dennis@home

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

the patches that is.
You may not have as you appear to be invulnerable.

There are none now, nor have there been since it was introduced way
back in 2001 - no viruses or spyware for OS X.

Learn about computer security and stop thinking about viruses as being the
problem.

Old June 7th 07, 08:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dennis@home

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

What do you think makes OSx invulnerable?

That's an easy one. By default, you're not logged on as an admin with
root access. DOH!

You don't understand computer security at all do you?

Old June 7th 07, 08:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dennis@home

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

The record shows that there are less attacks on Macs not that they are
less
suseptical.

What record? You're full of ****.

If I were a Windows user, my next box would be an Intel Mac, so if I
were
still afraid of a new OS, I could boot right into Vista or whatever.

My next PC is going to be a tablet.. something lacking in apples line up.

A tablet? Oh, you're the *one* that's going to buy one. Hurry up before
they stop making them because of the high demand.

Someone who has never used one I see.
Mine will be a replacement as my daughter took mine to uni.
It appears that they are very useful for notetaking amongst other things.

Old June 7th 07, 09:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

John McWilliams wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
Shawn Hirn wrote:

Not true at all. Try the latest Macs with Photoshop and see for
yourself or just check out iPhoto 6, which is great for the typical
amateur photographer. I use Macs and Windows XP daily. Mac OS X runs
rings around Windows for functionality, reliability, and ease of use,
plus I spend a lot less time doing maintenance stuff such as
installing OS updates and no security issues.

Oh? You mean you haven't been installing the updates to Mac OS X?
Maybe you should pay attention to them. I understand there are
several. It pays to keep up with such things. And ALL computers are
subject to security issues.

Can't speak for Shawn, but when I say I spend less time with updates is
because they are automatic, sure, and easy. It does pay to be up to
date, and it's more important on 'Doze due to sheer number of exploits.

WinXP supports automatic updates, but I don't do them that way because
it often reboots the machine after the update is performed and I often
leave work open on the computer for several days at a time, and I don't
want to come back and find that the changes I have made weren't saved
before the reboot. Most annoying!
Seems to me that if one can't allow a few minutes a month for management
of the computer, (s)he is just too busy to mess with a computer, and
should hire someone to do this job. Like a car, some attention must be
given to maintaining the thing or it WILL break down.

Old June 7th 07, 09:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

the patches that is.
You may not have as you appear to be invulnerable.

There are none now, nor have there been since it was introduced way
back in 2001 - no viruses or spyware for OS X.

sigh.
You go on thinking that, but the facts are not as you believe.
Old June 7th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Ron Hunter wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:
Shawn Hirn wrote:

[...]

Ron-
Not saving periodically is just asking to lose work. Not being bothered
to save in order to avoid an update seems also like you're playing
unnecessarily with fire.

--
john mcwilliams
Old June 7th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 6/6/07 9:01 AM, in article , "dennis@home"
wrote:

"George Kerby" wrote in message

On 6/6/07 7:36 AM, in article , "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
In article , "dennis@home" wrote:

Yes.. Apple.. they know how to exploit style over function.
Style makes money while you have to work harder with function.

I bet that if Apple took PC and put a logo and a white case on it you
would
say it was the best PC ever.
Hang on that's what they have done.

Have fun with your virus-ridden, bloated OS.

Which one?
I use at least five (and none have a virus).

Would you know? Course not...

Why not?

What do you think makes OSx invulnerable?
How do you know yours hasn't been infected or do you rely on some mythical
protection offered by the fruit badge?
You sound like an easy target for a virus.. you don't think you can get one.
It would probably be easy to get you to install some malicious software
which is the biggest danger computer users face.
Just think yourself lucky that virus writers can't be bothered with Macs or
you may find your invulnerability is worthless.

PS OSx is just a "shell" ontop of a unix kernel and there is nothing that
says unix is safe. The first worms were unix based and there have been
plenty of problems since. There is nothing that Apple does to make sure
there are no security issues that M$ doesn't do so your faith is not based
on fact.

Unix was designed to work with several users and has built in protection. Of
course, the first worms were UNIX based. It is one of the oldest OS there
is. Your assertion of many problems since is not based on fact.

Windoze was built with a single operator in mind and from the get-go could
be compromised. Vista has made that a little more difficult but it is a
sloth.

To this date, NO successful trojan, worm, viri, etc., has compromised OS X,
partially due to the fact that the OS automatically updates itself, with the
owner's permission, of course. Windoze has more unknown holes than swiss
cheese.