Window on Wildflowers in Rocky Mountain National Park ?

Old December 4th 03, 07:52 AM
Robertwgross

Default Window on Wildflowers in Rocky Mountain National Park ?

Rick wrote:
Would like to hear from anyone who knows the best estimate for the window on
wildflowers in Rocky Mountain National Park.
I realize this can vary from year to year...but would sure like to get an
idea of when I can schedule the most likely 2 weeks to shoot the park with
this in mind.
Thanks in advance...
Richard Ellsbury
http://nwnaturephoto.com

Rick, it depends on what elevation you want to work at. The Springtime starts
down low and works its way up as the snowfields melt off.

---Bob Gross---

Old December 4th 03, 08:55 AM
Rick Ellsbury

Bob,

Thanks for the response...

I'd most likely be interested in the mid to higher elevations.

Probably more in the 8000'-10000' +/- range.

What I would be looking for would be higher valley/stream/lake stuff with
the peaks above....figure valley floor in the 8500-10000 range and peaks
accordingly 2-3 k +/- higher. I usually shoot more in the alpine arena, and
remember tree line kicked in at 9500, 10000 more or less.

I grew up in Colorado and have lived in Seattle for the past 15 years or so
and am just blank on my memories of RMNP seasons.

Like I said I realize the window varies, but would sure like to get a take
if possible when making some plans for next summer now. Kinda trying to
figure out if July or August time frame would be better. The usual window
on wildflowers here in WA is last week of July and first couple of weeks of
August for most of the locations I have shot. I am pretty sure this is much
later than I would see at RMNP?

Rick

Old December 4th 03, 08:18 PM
Robertwgross

Rick, what Bill stated is good advice. However, it will vary from year to year
depending on the winter snows.

One of my favorite spots in a national park is usually full of flowers on July
25. One year I went there on July 27, and it was still covered by a foot of old
snow.

---Bob Gross---
Old December 5th 03, 05:04 AM
Roger N. Clark (replace username with rnclark)

Rick Ellsbury wrote:

Bob,

Thanks for the response...

I'd most likely be interested in the mid to higher elevations.

Probably more in the 8000'-10000' +/- range.

What I would be looking for would be higher valley/stream/lake stuff with
the peaks above....figure valley floor in the 8500-10000 range and peaks
accordingly 2-3 k +/- higher. I usually shoot more in the alpine arena, and
remember tree line kicked in at 9500, 10000 more or less.

I grew up in Colorado and have lived in Seattle for the past 15 years or so
and am just blank on my memories of RMNP seasons.

Interesting. I grew up in Seattle (Seattle U grad) and have spent
the last 20 years in Colorado!

July in general is the best month. Lower elevations early in the
month, higher elevations later, but it varies by a couple of weeks
(at least) from year to year. There are much better pleaces
for wildflowers, like the central part of the state.
I try and get out a lot the last 2 weeks in July for wildflower
photography. Check the dates on my photos at
http://www.clarkvision.com (the c071698.... number is
month, day, year on the image id).

Roger