Book Review: Collecting and Using Classic Cameras , Ivor Matanle

Old June 16th 04, 01:51 AM
Paul

Default Book Review: Collecting and Using Classic Cameras , Ivor Matanle

A useful but not authoritative text

Ivor Matanle may be the first writer on classic cameras to write of
them not merely as baubles but working photographic equipment for
contemporary use, and for that alone he deserves a certain kudos.
However, I have several problems with this book, especially in this
edition. From the other works he has done it's evident he's a good
black-and-white photographer, but this printing doesn't reveal this:
the quality of photoreproduction is not excellent.

Matanle is British, and the American reader will note that there are
differences in nomenclature, in the cameras and lenses that are
readily available (many items common in Britain would never be seen
here), and in practices and attitudes regarding using cameras and
lenses. While it's good to be exposed to foreign viewpoints, we are
two nations separated by an almost-common language sometimes.

As a prime example, how could one cover "classic cameras" and not
discuss Graflex? Simply put, although technically "large format" (at
least in the most common 4x5 size, although there are smaller
Graphics),no photographer's experience is complete without having used
a Speed or Crown Graphic-handheld, with sheet film or a rollfilm back.

Although most of the cameras available today would seem like alien
implements to photographers of fifty years ago, the principles of
photography have not changed, and in fact many of the best cameras-M
Leica, Hasselblad, Rollei TLR (yes, still in production)-are
substantially similar today as when Frank, Dean and Sammy were on the
charts, Marilyn was still the hottest movie star, and John Glenn
getting ready to orbit the Earth. Others are very different from
anything made now, yet sometimes capable of very good work with a
little knowledge, and more conducive to doing so than today's popular
microprocesssor-controlled polycarbonate affairs which often simply
get in the way of, rather than facilitate, good photography. In
addition, a camera that's still working-or easily made so-after fifty
years stands a good chance of working fifty years from now, which is
almost certainly not true of some modern cameras.
Old June 16th 04, 09:04 PM
Norm Fleming

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
A useful but not authoritative text

Ivor Matanle may be the first writer on classic cameras to write of
them not merely as baubles but working photographic equipment for
contemporary use, and for that alone he deserves a certain kudos.
However, I have several problems with this book, especially in this
edition. From the other works he has done it's evident he's a good
black-and-white photographer, but this printing doesn't reveal this:
the quality of photoreproduction is not excellent.

Interesting observation. I have seen two different copies of this book.
The first, from my local library, contained photos that were sharp and
contrasty. The second, which I was later given as a present, had the
identical photos, but by comparison, extremely bad reproduction - low
contrast, flat, gray, and often quite fuzzy with no oomph at all.

I did however, find it an interesting read - Matanle is certainly
enthusiastic in his quiet British way, and has a rather an old fashioned,
but engaging , style in his writing. It got me keen enough to begin using
old cameras, and I now have a nice, but modest, little collection of
35mm/medium format rangefinders, SLRs, TLRs, folders, all fully functional,
mostly costing peanuts. A bonus is that once people know you are into this
kind of thing, they will root around in the back of a cupboard and actually
give you cameras/light meters/flash units etc just to get rid of them. e.g
just recently I've been given a Retina II, an original Spotmatic, a Canon
FTb and a YashicaMat 124G, all in pristine nick, working perfectly and
producing great pics. Needless to say, I am a tremendous advocate of
digital photography, if it encourages users to part with traditional goodies
like these.

Cheers

Norm Fleming