Jobo LPL 7700 Contrast Settings?

Old October 29th 04, 08:09 PM
John McGraw

Donald Qualls wrote in message .com...
Andrew McCall wrote:

I would love to use the correct equipment all the time - but at the
moment a Jobo/LPL 7700 is all I have!

What sort of condenser machine would you recommend?

Andrew, he's a troll. Don't listen to him, and don't respond to him --
we're hoping he'll eventually starve.

There's no good reason not to use your LPL -- while it might not be the
best enlarger on the market, it has the advantage that you already have
it and don't have a lay out more money to get it, and if you have a
color head, it should do anything you want to do with an enlarger that
doesn't involve tiny negatives (those work best with condensers or even
point-source light, because they require so much enlargement as to
emphasize light scattering from a diffused light source, including color
heads).

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Hay Donald
Just curious, what do you mean by tiny? 35mm; 35mm; APS (I think
it's called APS); instamatic; something else?
I once worked w/ an old fart that called 4x5 "minature". Now I'm an
old fart.
Thanks, John
Old October 29th 04, 10:40 PM
Donald Qualls

John McGraw wrote:

Donald Qualls wrote in message .com...

There's no good reason not to use your LPL -- while it might not be the
best enlarger on the market, it has the advantage that you already have
it and don't have a lay out more money to get it, and if you have a
color head, it should do anything you want to do with an enlarger that
doesn't involve tiny negatives (those work best with condensers or even
point-source light, because they require so much enlargement as to
emphasize light scattering from a diffused light source, including color
heads).

Hay Donald
Just curious, what do you mean by tiny? 35mm; 35mm; APS (I think
it's called APS); instamatic; something else?
I once worked w/ an old fart that called 4x5 "minature". Now I'm an
old fart.
Thanks, John

I was referring to 35 mm half frame and smaller, where the combination
of small negative area and required large magnification lead to long
exposures; anything that increases the light level at the negative (as a
condenser does, when focused for the small mask) helps shorten exposures.

I think about those things because I have a couple Minolta 16 cameras;
the negative is a bit less than 1/4 of the 35 mm frame (actually, the
last couple models used a larger mask and were exactly 1/4 frame, 12x18 mm).

--
The challenge to the photographer is to command the medium, to use
whatever current equipment and technology furthers his creative

and don't expect them to be perfect.