Canon TLb resale?

Old September 12th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.35mm
Cynicor[_3_]

Default Canon TLb resale?

Could anyone tell me what near-mint condition Canon TLb cameras fetch
these days on resale? I have a friend who found one in her parents'
house, and is wondering about value. I can't find comparables on eBay or
at used sellers like B&H. Thanks!
Old September 12th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.35mm
Eric Miller

"Cynicor" wrote in message
t...
Could anyone tell me what near-mint condition Canon TLb cameras fetch
these days on resale? I have a friend who found one in her parents' house,
and is wondering about value. I can't find comparables on eBay or at used
sellers like B&H. Thanks!

The last time I saw one of those for sale on Ebay, it went for around
$60-$80 IIRC. That was around 2000 or 2001.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Old September 12th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.35mm
Cynicor[_3_]

Eric Miller wrote:
"Cynicor" wrote in message
t...
Could anyone tell me what near-mint condition Canon TLb cameras fetch
these days on resale? I have a friend who found one in her parents' house,
and is wondering about value. I can't find comparables on eBay or at used
sellers like B&H. Thanks!

The last time I saw one of those for sale on Ebay, it went for around
$60-$80 IIRC. That was around 2000 or 2001.

Cool, thanks for the info.
Old September 12th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.35mm
Advocate54

The last time I saw one of those for sale on Ebay, it went for around
$60-$80 IIRC. That was around 2000 or 2001.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

This is hardly significant. The bottom has fallen out of 35mm prices since
then.

Yoshi

Correct, closed auctions on eBay show they are selling for around $20 with
full kits going for $40 tops.

Old September 12th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.35mm
Fred Anonymous

"Cynicor" wrote in message
t...
Could anyone tell me what near-mint condition Canon TLb cameras fetch
these days on resale? I have a friend who found one in her parents' house,
and is wondering about value. I can't find comparables on eBay or at used
sellers like B&H. Thanks!

Hello Cynthia.

There is one on ebay at the moment.
http://search.ebay.co.uk/canon-TLB_W...Zm37QQfromZR40

It is priced at £25 UK and there are no bids so far.

Regards, Ian
Nottingham, England.

Old September 15th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.35mm
xenarshooter

"Cynicor" wrote in message t...
Could anyone tell me what near-mint condition Canon TLb cameras fetch
these days on resale? I have a friend who found one in her parents'
house, and is wondering about value. I can't find comparables on eBay or
at used sellers like B&H. Thanks!

I think you should keep it and get a film scanner, such as a Minolta scan dual III.
Lenses are cheap too. Tripod? Cable release? Why not? Canon's old SSC breechlock
lenses are quite awesome.

--
xenarshooter
Old September 16th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.35mm
Fred Anonymous

"xenarshooter" wrote in message

"Cynicor" wrote in message
t...
Could anyone tell me what near-mint condition Canon TLb cameras fetch
these days on resale? I have a friend who found one in her parents'
house, and is wondering about value. I can't find comparables on eBay or
at used sellers like B&H. Thanks!

I think you should keep it and get a film scanner, such as a Minolta scan
dual III.
Lenses are cheap too. Tripod? Cable release? Why not? Canon's old SSC
breechlock lenses are quite awesome.

--
xenarshooter

I agree about the lenses. I have some from new (bought them in the 1970s for
use with EF, A1 and T90 bodies).
They are very, very nice to use and give very good results.
Of course, in those days Canon make "good" and "very good" lenses.
If you wanted the "okay" lenses then you bought one of the independent makes
of lens.

Regards,
Ian
Nottingham, England.

Old September 17th 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.35mm
xenarshooter

I agree about the lenses. I have some from new (bought them in the 1970s for
use with EF, A1 and T90 bodies).
They are very, very nice to use and give very good results.
Of course, in those days Canon make "good" and "very good" lenses.
If you wanted the "okay" lenses then you bought one of the independent makes
of lens.

Regards,
Ian
Nottingham, England.

Yeah... and the other "okay" lenses are Canon's later non breechlock FD mounts,
totaly average, not so sharp or contrasty, except for one 80-200 two touch zoom
which was incredible.

--
xenarshooter
Old September 22nd 07, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.marketplace.35mm
darkroommike

TLb was marketed as an entry level camera, solid, heavy and
well made. Canon's of a certain age (and many other makes)
can suffer from deterioration of the light seals--and may
need to be resealed. If you plan to keep and use the camera
it is a DIY job (look for Interslice on eBay for the correct
materials). If you are planning to sell the camera sell it
AS IS for a low price or have it professionally CLA'd
(that's clean, lube and adjust). Unfortunately the CLA will
cost more than the camera is likely to fetch.

The TLb was preceded by the TL (stop down metering not as
desirable) and succeeded by the TX (hot shoe). The next
step up was the FTb (faster top speed and a couple of other
nice features) and the F-1 (original) which was and still is
Canon's best MF camera. I bought mine in 1976 and it's been
to the shop twice in 30 years (first time was all my fault
and the second time was to correct the loss of flash
synch--which I suspect was caused by lack of use)!

If you decide to sell it via eBay be careful about using
terms like near mint, buyers have varied interpretations of
that term stick to factual descriptions and photos. EG,
unit seems to have been in eveready case most of the time,
no scratches in metal (or whatever) or have your camera
evaluated by a dealer and use his ratings!