D80 question: I'm completely new

Old June 16th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Corey

Default D80 question: I'm completely new

Hi, I just baught a Nikon D80 and it's my first SLR. My question is: When
I take pictures, the total white or black parts of my pictures blink.
Could someone please tell me if this is able to be turned off? I have
looked at the manual, but don't even know what to look up. It kinda annoys
me.

Thank you for your time in advance

corey
Old June 16th 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

Corey wrote:
Hi, I just baught a Nikon D80 and it's my first SLR. My question is: When
I take pictures, the total white or black parts of my pictures blink.
Could someone please tell me if this is able to be turned off? I have
looked at the manual, but don't even know what to look up. It kinda annoys
me.

See manual, page ix, question 3: "Why parts of my photos blink" which
will direct you to page 62f in the manual proper (it's actually on top
of page 63).
However I haven't found any way to turn off this warning feature,
either.

jue
Old June 16th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frankster

"Corey" wrote in message
Hi, I just baught a Nikon D80 and it's my first SLR. My question is: When
I take pictures, the total white or black parts of my pictures blink.
Could someone please tell me if this is able to be turned off? I have
looked at the manual, but don't even know what to look up. It kinda
annoys
me.

Thank you for your time in advance

corey

Try this...

While viewing, move the multi-selector up or down or rotate the subcommand
dial to cycle through the picture information (including the blinking mode).

-Frank

Old June 16th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dev/Null

"Corey" wrote in message
Hi, I just baught a Nikon D80 and it's my first SLR. My question is: When
I take pictures, the total white or black parts of my pictures blink.
Could someone please tell me if this is able to be turned off? I have
looked at the manual, but don't even know what to look up. It kinda
annoys
me.

Thank you for your time in advance

That's the "Out of gamut" range, that means the subject brightness range
exceeds what the camera can actually record. So there will be no detail in
the blinking white or black areas.

Old June 16th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:03:16 GMT, Jürgen Exner wrote:

Hi, I just baught a Nikon D80 and it's my first SLR. My question is: When
I take pictures, the total white or black parts of my pictures blink.
Could someone please tell me if this is able to be turned off? I have
looked at the manual, but don't even know what to look up. It kinda annoys
me.

See manual, page ix, question 3: "Why parts of my photos blink" which
will direct you to page 62f in the manual proper (it's actually on top
of page 63).
However I haven't found any way to turn off this warning feature,
either.

The way to turn off the blinking ("Highlights") is described at
the top of pages 61 and 62. Page 61 has sketches of the multi
selector and the sub-command dial, a brief description of how to get
to different playback views, and refers you to page 62 which shows :

Photo Information

Photo information is superimposed on images displayed in full-frame
playback Press the multi selector up or down or rotate the sub-command
dial to cycle through the following information: Basic Information -
Shooting Data Page 1 - Shooting Data Page 2 - Retouch History
(retouched copies only) - Highlights - RGB Histogram - Basic Information

Old June 16th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Corey[_2_]

Wow thank you guys. I've been scared to post in newsgroups, especially
ones I know I am very new at. I really appreciate the friendly helpful
replies, and damn you're fast!

Thank you so much!

corey
Old June 16th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Corey wrote:
Hi, I just baught a Nikon D80 and it's my first SLR. My question is: When
I take pictures, the total white or black parts of my pictures blink.
Could someone please tell me if this is able to be turned off? I have
looked at the manual, but don't even know what to look up. It kinda annoys
me.

It's warning you about parts of your photos that are exposed out of the
range of the sensor. (over or under).

A little of this generally won't bother a photo too much.

Get in intimate touch with the histogram as well.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old June 17th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Don R.[_2_]

You really don't want to turn it off. It is giving you important info about
the quality of your photo. If that is flashing, you have blown the
highlights in the photo, and will have lost all detail in that area. When
that shows, you need to adjust where you are metering your exposure or use
exposure compensation in order to get a good picture. Go to www.dpreview.com
and read some of the forums to get some good tips.

Old June 17th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Corey[_2_]

"Don R." wrote in
m:

"Corey" wrote in message
Hi, I just baught a Nikon D80 and it's my first SLR. My question is:
When I take pictures, the total white or black parts of my pictures
blink. Could someone please tell me if this is able to be turned off?
I have looked at the manual, but don't even know what to look up.
It kinda annoys
me.

Thank you for your time in advance

corey

wow thanks again! I was wondering where I should go to get to learn about
stuff like that. I am sooo new. The manual explains the features and how
you can turn them on and off, but assumes you know what all the terms mean.
I am not complaining, I am going to look into taking a photography class or
buy books in the near future. So far I love my SLR!
Old June 17th 08, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 14:15:39 GMT, Corey wrote:

I am sooo new. The manual explains the features and how
you can turn them on and off, but assumes you know what all the terms mean.
I am not complaining, I am going to look into taking a photography class or
buy books in the near future. So far I love my SLR!

Hi, newbie! I'm not surprised. The D80 is an excellent
camera. You may also want to check out Thom Hogan's web site. It
contains a wealth of Nikon related information, and he has written
what many consider to be the best guides to Nikon digital and film
SLRs. He recently updated his " Complete Guide to the Nikon D80"
and added a shorter, printed "Nikon D80 To Go" that can be easily
carried when you're out taking pictures.

http://bythom.com/
http://bythom.com/nikon.htm