Gitzo Gt1530?

Old April 27th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tully Albrecht

Default Gitzo Gt1530?

Anyone using this or similar carbon fiber tripods? Would you recommend
this light a tripod for, say, a Nikon D200 with a 4.5 lb (2 kg) lens on
it?
--
"Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know."

Old April 27th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

Tully Albrecht wrote:
Anyone using this or similar carbon fiber tripods? Would you recommend
this light a tripod for, say, a Nikon D200 with a 4.5 lb (2 kg) lens on
it?

That is going to be a matter of opinion, where I suspect
the opinions will be evenly spread across the entire
range.

Here's a chart showing a few characteristics (Max
Height has with extented column and without):

Model Weight Load Max Min Closed
lbs lbs Height Height Length

GT1530 2.4 17.6 70/60" 16" 28"

GT2540 3.1 26.4 61/52" 11" 22"

GT2540LVL 3.7 26.4 68/59" 13" 24"

GT3540 4.6 39.6 64/52" 17" 26"

Without knowing what you'll be doing it's difficult to
say that one is better than another. Every ounce counts
if you'll be packing it for many miles. But for only
short hikes I'd think the extra load capacity of the
GT2540 would provide added stability for a big lense,
and might be worth packing the extra 6/10ths of a pound.

If you need the extra height too, the GT2540LVL looks
good, but it weighs 1.3 lbs more than the GT1530.

If you aren't actually hiking for miles, the even
greater stability offered by the 39.6 lb load capacity
of the GT3530 is well worth having, despite weighing
nearly twice what a GT1530 does.

If you travel, the 22" folded length of the GT2540
might be more significant than all the rest.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Old April 27th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tully Albrecht

On 2008-04-27 14:57:50 -0700, (Floyd L. Davidson) said:

Tully Albrecht wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the pointers. I wouldn't be trekking, but weight is always a
consideration. I wondered if anyone has experience using these new
generation (is it the third?) of CF tripods, as I'm soon going to be
changing from the Bogen-class aluminum units I have now. It's been many
years since I owned a really heavy studio-type support, but I still
hang a 35-pound case from the bottom of my center-column for added
stability. I assume you can do the same with the Gitzo.

I rarely use a tripod for portraits, but the stuff I shoot with long
exposures could be described as product photography with low-powered
strobe or available light.
--
"Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know."

Old April 28th 08, 06:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steve Dell

You might try looking at the Benro (not Benbo) tripods. These are very fine
Chinese knockoffs of the Gitzos.

B&H Sells them under the "induro" brand name.

I have two Benro's and love them.

Old April 28th 08, 09:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Floyd L. Davidson

On 2008-04-27 14:57:50 -0700, (Floyd L. Davidson) said:
If you aren't actually hiking for miles, the even
greater stability offered by the 39.6 lb load capacity
of the GT3530 is well worth having, despite weighing
nearly twice what a GT1530 does.

Thanks for the pointers. I wouldn't be trekking, but weight is always a
consideration.

I've trimmed the previous discussion down to my personal
choice for your stated criteria! :-)

I don't do any trekking, and therefore I think extra
weight is worth the extra stability. Basically if I go
out the door with a tripod, it's the GT3530. (I'm using
Nikon D2x and D3 cameras with lenses ranging up to
several pounds, such as an 800mm f/5.6.) The tripod
that I use for macro stuff in the studio stays there...
mostly because it weighs about 20 lbs.

I wondered if anyone has experience using these new
generation (is it the third?) of CF tripods, as I'm soon going to be
changing from the Bogen-class aluminum units I have now. It's been many
years since I owned a really heavy studio-type support, but I still
hang a 35-pound case from the bottom of my center-column for added
stability. I assume you can do the same with the Gitzo.

The hard decision I had was whether to go with a CF tripod
that has a center column, or not. Without the column is
significantly more stable; with the column there is a
bit more flexibility. I decided on "with column", but I
only use it where the purpose of the tripod is to
relieve me from the job of continuously holding the
camera for some length of time, as opposed to providing
a stable platform.

Hence, last Friday night while shooting graduation
ceremonies for the local college, I used flash and
mounted it all on a GT3530 with the column at maximum
extension. The tripod supplied support, not stability.

When I put that 800mm f/5.6 lense on it, the column is
_never_ used.

I rarely use a tripod for portraits, but the stuff I shoot with long
exposures could be described as product photography with low-powered
strobe or available light.

I'd expect you'll like using a CF tripod. CF dampens
the vibrations much better than aluminum. That has
benefits for long exposures, shooting where there is a
wind, shooting with long telephotos or doing macros work.

But if you aren't carrying it for miles, I'd go for one
of the more substantial units rather than give much
concern for weight. If stability is the unique or even
the major concern, I'd forego models with a center
column too.

For big lenses I'd put a gimbal mount on it, and
otherwise use a very good quality (high load capacity)
ballhead. But it is also true that if rapid adjustment
is not necessary, an old Majestic gearhead is a
_wonderful_ platform for macros and product photography.
Given your description, you might like a gearhead better
than a ballhead???

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

Old April 28th 08, 11:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson[_2_]

"Steve Dell" wrote:

You might try looking at the Benro (not Benbo) tripods. These are very fine
Chinese knockoffs of the Gitzos.

B&H Sells them under the "induro" brand name.

I have two Benro's and love them.

I'm not sure about them being "very fine", but the Benro tripods are
certainly acceptable for the price. I was given one to review and was
quite impressed.

The Benro offset ball heads are also good value but they are no longer
available in the UK, possibly for copyright reasons. As with the
Benro tripods, there are similarities to a Gitzo product.

Old May 5th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tom Hook

On 2008-04-28 08:29:50 -0700, Ray Paseur said:

Tully Albrecht wrote in

Tully, I have considerable experience with these - I have the 2540EX
and another one - I forget which number - with a straight center
column. I use them with Acratech ballheads. They are worth every
penny. They will support their rated loads, assuming your ballhead
will also support the load (add the weight of the ballhead to the
weight of the camera to get the effective load on the tripod).
The 2540EX has an articulated center column that makes it possible to
hold the camera close to things on the ground, at odd angles, etc. You
may need to counterweight it if it is extended in a very asymmetrical
way.
I don't like the angle locks on the legs very much (there is no detent
to stop the legs at an exact angle on the 2540EX) but that is picking a
very small nit.

That's my $0.02 worth. ~Ray

---

On 2008-04-27 14:57:50 -0700, (Floyd L. Davidson)
said:

Tully Albrecht wrote:
[...]

Thanks for this and the other excellent answers. Several people have
given me food for thought in this thread.

I don't know if I can force myself to buy a Chinese 'pod, but I will
give them serious consideration.

If I get a Gitzo, I'm leaning toward the heavier-duty models, thanks to
the experiences of those who shared. Thanks again to everyone who took
the time to respond, and don't let me shut this off if anyone else has
thoughts on carbon fiber in general.

I got a Gitzo 1298, which is small enough to fit in my bag:

Model Weight Load Max Min Closed
lbs lbs Height Height Length

GT1530 2.4 17.6 70/60" 16" 28"

GT2540 3.1 26.4 61/52" 11" 22"

GT2540LVL 3.7 26.4 68/59" 13" 24"

GT3540 4.6 39.6 64/52" 17" 26"

Gitzo 1298 3.4 12.9 58.3" 16.5" 19.3"

Your numbers are off: my Gitzo 3540 LS weighs 3.8 pounds and folds up
to 21.5 inches and is 57.5 inches high. There is also the 3540 XLS
which is 78 inches high and weighs 4.3 pounds and folds up to 27.6
inches. I chose the smaller of these two because of weight and packing
size. All and all, a splendid tripod and so much lighter than the
aluminum Bogen it replaced. My 60 year old shoulders and back need all
the help they can get!

Gitzo contact?? T.O. 35mm Photo Equipment 1 May 7th 06 05:26 AM
Gitzo Mike 35mm Photo Equipment 3 April 18th 06 08:01 PM
FS: Gitzo 340 tripod... Jim Dawson 35mm Equipment for Sale 0 January 12th 06 03:15 AM
FS: Gitzo Tripod Joe 35mm Equipment for Sale 0 July 14th 03 05:08 PM
FS:Gitzo w/ pic Joe 35mm Equipment for Sale 0 July 13th 03 07:40 PM