Photographing the sun

Old August 24th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
TT

Default Photographing the sun

Using a Canon Rebel XT and was wondering if this is difficult? Can I
burn out the sensor if the solar filter doesn't work properly? Are
there solar filters one can buy that are reasonably priced? Could one
make one? I'm just using the 17-55 mm lens. But I thought if I could
blow it up a bit I might get some sunspot detail. And certainly no
camera shake as I could shoot at the highest shutter speed available.
And should the aperture setting be in the middle for best optical
quality?
Old August 24th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charles Schuler

http://thehowzone.com/how/Sun_Photos

Old August 24th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
TT

http://thehowzone.com/how/Sun_Photos

OK - I realize I have to have a solar filter. Are they reasonable? Any
good place to get them? 58 mm or larger I guess.
Old August 24th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
g n p

"Rita A Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message

TT wrote:

OK - I realize I have to have a solar filter. Are they reasonable?
Any good place to get them? 58 mm or larger I guess.

We get ours from the Pop-Tart box. The Mylar wrapping is perfect for this
task. Start off with two layers and see how that works for you. If you
want to spend a few bucks you can get a "Shade 10" welding lens for about
Rita

Please, please, please do NOT listen to CRAP advice like the above.
Sun photography (astronomical or otherwise) is serious and DANGEROUS, both
to equipment and to the eye.
Check out any amateur astronomy equipment vendors for safe and satisfying
solutions.

Old August 25th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
TT

OK - I realize I have to have a solar filter. Are they reasonable?
Any good place to get them? 58 mm or larger I guess.

We get ours from the Pop-Tart box. The Mylar wrapping is perfect for this
task. Start off with two layers and see how that works for you. If you
want to spend a few bucks you can get a "Shade 10" welding lens for about
$5.00.

I would never test it with my eyes but I wonder how many layers would
guarantee safety for the 350xt using a 17-55 kit lens? And should I
block off the viewfinder?
And I wonder if it filters all the suns rays uniformly? This is my
biggest worry.
I just went downstairs in my apartment building and somebody had left a
potato chip bag there - shiny inside. I looked at a bright light and
could barely see it. I could start with 4 layers I guess. Too bad its
cloudy today. What a neat tip Rita.
Old August 25th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

TT wrote:
Using a Canon Rebel XT and was wondering if this is difficult? Can I
burn out the sensor if the solar filter doesn't work properly? Are
there solar filters one can buy that are reasonably priced? Could one
make one? I'm just using the 17-55 mm lens. But I thought if I could
blow it up a bit I might get some sunspot detail. And certainly no
camera shake as I could shoot at the highest shutter speed available.
And should the aperture setting be in the middle for best optical
quality?

http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries...v1.4-800b.html

The full aperture solar filter I use (5-inch diameter)
is an Orion telescopes model and cost about $70.
Try googling orion solar filters. I think Celestron
also has them for a higher price.

Roger

Old August 25th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

TT wrote:
And I wonder if it filters all the suns rays uniformly? This is my
biggest worry.

And so you should!!

The trap with solar viewing is that it may not be the visible light
that damages (although it can, of course) - it's also the IR and UV
components. There are substances/methods that will reduce the visible
light, but not greatly affect the IR and UV - hence you (or your
sensor) may feel safe while you burn......

Welders filter - of grade 12 or greater - does a reasonable job, but
unfortunately it usually sucks optically. Take Roger's advice!

Old August 25th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mark

TT wrote:
Using a Canon Rebel XT and was wondering if this is difficult? Can I
burn out the sensor if the solar filter doesn't work properly? Are
there solar filters one can buy that are reasonably priced? Could one
make one? I'm just using the 17-55 mm lens. But I thought if I could
blow it up a bit I might get some sunspot detail. And certainly no
camera shake as I could shoot at the highest shutter speed available.
And should the aperture setting be in the middle for best optical
quality?

Hi,
Cokin now do a filter that I think they call the Eclipse Filter, which
is designed specifically for photographing the sun. You'll have to
check the details, but I seem to remember it's optical density 5, or
about 12 stops (please don't flame me if I'm a bit out on these figures
- they're something like right). This would give you exposures of
around 1/250 at f/8 and ISO100. Your biggest problem is going to be
that you'll get a very small image with your lens. It will be less
than 1mm on the sensor, so you'll not be able to get a lot of detail.
You'd need a 35mm-equivalent of around 2000mm to fill the frame, so you
should be looking for at least 400mm for a decent image size. Hope
this helps.
Mark

Old August 25th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
TT

[...]

I might be picking up a zoom that goes to around 180 mm (film) so that
will help. I should get a teleconverter for oddball times like this.
Its interesting: because the sun is so bright we assume its much bigger
than it is.
Old August 26th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sheldon

"TT" wrote in message
[...]

The sun is pretty small (when viewed from earth), so I'm not sure what you
would see, even with a telephoto and the proper filter. I would guess if
you really want great photos of the sun you should shoot through a telescope
with the "proper" filters.

I did take a photo of a total solar eclipse, which is very cool, but your
not going to see a corona, or anything like that, without all kinds of
special filters, or finding the next solar eclipse and praying for clear
skies.