New lens for XT ?????

Old December 17th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Steve Dell

Default New lens for XT ?????

You could use the Tamron 18-250 or the 28-75. The latter one is
exceptionally sharp.

Steve
"jazu" wrote in message
There is my story of my SLR camera
I bought last xmass Canon XT with kit lens 18-55. Not having budget for
new lens I basically got stuck with unused equipment for one year. I don't
like much pictures made with this lens. Now I want to buy some lens. My
budget is not to high this year either. Let's say $500.
I want to buy just one walk around lens. I read many reviews. To stay with
canon lens or rather to buy Sigma, Tamron replacement.
If you had $500 budget and just one lens to choose, what that would be?
thanks

Old December 17th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

jazu wrote:
I bought last xmass Canon XT with kit lens 18-55. Not having budget for new
lens I basically got stuck with unused equipment for one year. I don't like
much pictures made with this lens.

Can you tell us why you don't like the pictures? What's
wrong with them?

If you had $500 budget and just one lens to choose, what that would be?

Probably the Canon 50mm f/1.4.

Does that help you? No?
Then tell us what you are missing with the 18-55mm.

-Wolfgang
Old December 17th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Annika1980

On Dec 17, 3:08 am, "Wilba" wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
jazu wrote:

If you had $500 budget and just one lens to choose, what that would be?

I get to answer this question at least once a week and the answer is
always the same. The Canon 28-135 IS.

OK. What would be your second lens, to cover the wide end on a 1.6x sensor?

My wide lens is the 17-40 f/4L, but that's a bit above his $500
cutoff.
Like Steven Wright says, "You can't have everything .... where would
you put it?"

Old December 17th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

jazu wrote:
I get to answer this question at least once a week and the answer is
always the same. The Canon 28-135 IS.

28mm is wider that most P&S, so how it works for indoor shots when comes to
group of people around the table?

Still not wide at all, just 'normal'. You can get a 24mm f/2.8 for $270
plus a 50mm f/1.8 for under $100.
Old December 17th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Fred Anonymous

"jazu" wrote in message
There is my story of my SLR camera
I bought last xmass Canon XT with kit lens 18-55. Not having budget for
new lens I basically got stuck with unused equipment for one year. I don't
like much pictures made with this lens. Now I want to buy some lens. My
budget is not to high this year either. Let's say $500.
I want to buy just one walk around lens. I read many reviews. To stay with
canon lens or rather to buy Sigma, Tamron replacement.
If you had $500 budget and just one lens to choose, what that would be?
thanks

Hello Jazu.

You pose a nice question.

If I couldn't afford new Canon lenses then I would look at second-hand Canon
lenses and then Tamron lenses.
In a UK magazine test of fixed-length lenses the Tamron 90mm macro
outperformed the Sigma 105mm.

I avoid Sigma wherever possible - because Sigma do not pay for the licence
to the EOS lens mount their lenses aren't always forward compatible. A new
Sigma lens bought to-day might not work with a Canon EOS body you buy next
year. Had this with a friend's Sigma 500mm which would not work with her EOS
30 film camera in all the modes.

Personally - see what you can find second-hand. Here in the UK there are a
lot of bargains in little-used second-hand Canon lenses.

Good hunting.

Ian,
Nottingham, UK.

Old December 18th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_2_]

Annika1980 wrote:
Wilba wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
jazu wrote:

If you had $500 budget and just one lens to choose, what that would be?

I get to answer this question at least once a week and the answer is
always the same. The Canon 28-135 IS.

OK. What would be your second lens, to cover the wide end on a 1.6x
sensor?

My wide lens is the 17-40 f/4L, but that's a bit above his $500
cutoff.

Mine too. :-)

Like Steven Wright says, "You can't have everything .... where would
you put it?"

Everywhere?

Old December 18th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Annika1980

On Dec 17, 8:58 pm, Scott W wrote:

Here's a shot I took with mine in the McDonalds parking lot on Maui.

Ok, a very nice lens, but who would go to McDonalds on Hawaii?

Kinda gives new meaning to the word "homesick."

Of course the correct answer to your question is, "Someone who had to
pee."

Old December 18th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Graber

I have the Tamron 18-250 as a walking around lense with my Rebel XTi. I
really like the pictures taken with it. I also have the Canon IS 28-135
and like that also. While the Tamron does not have IS, I find that I like
the Tamron better when traveling. But, that is just my humble opinion. I
have no complaints about the Canon IS 28-135, either. The Canon is
probably a little better in low light when my tripod is not handy.

Tony

P.S. I have taken some really good pictures with the kit lense (Canon 18-
55). It was a really good lense to learn with, for me, that is.

"Steve Dell" wrote in
:

Old December 19th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jazu

I bought last xmass Canon XT with kit lens 18-55. Not having budget for
new
lens I basically got stuck with unused equipment for one year. I don't
like
much pictures made with this lens.

Can you tell us why you don't like the pictures? What's
wrong with them?

They look to me too soft. I don't like to sharp it in PC3.
Most people complain about lens kit. Maybe they don't know how to work with
them (including myself)
Anyone have good tips how to get the best from kit?

Old December 19th 07, 08:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jazu

I just ordered Sigma 18-200 DC
About $300, so I'm below my budget.
I hope I wont regret this purchase