Kodak CX6200 vs. Old NiMH batteries

Old June 24th 04, 07:05 PM
Roger Stone

Default Kodak CX6200 vs. Old NiMH batteries

Hello,

I've just gotten a Kodak CX6200, and I'm perplexed by the variety of
battery choices (disposable Li AA, disposable CRV3, rechargable CRV3,
rechargable NiMH AA). For the short term, I've settled on using
rechargable NiMH AA's, as we have lots of them deployed around the
house, and a good charger (MAHA CH-401FS).

The trouble is, some of my NiMH AA batteries seem to work in the camera,
and others don't work at all, or work only for a few minutes. Based on
a small sample of fully chared batteries (according to the charger), it
appears that the oldest batteries (1500mAH NexCells) are worst - a pair
of them won't even start up the camera. The charger thinks they're OK,
and they work in other appliances (including a Nikon Coolpix 700 from
prehistoric times).

A pair of new NiMH AA batteries, even strange off-brand ones I got at
Fry's, seems to work, though I haven't seen how long they last.

What are the symptoms of aging in MiMH AA batteries? They're about 5
years old, and have been in very regular use. I've gotten my value out
of them, I'll admit, but I'm looking for some sort of test that will
tell me it's finally time to toss them out.

Are the entry-level Kodaks known to be especially picky about voltage,
impedance, or other battery characteristics?

Old June 24th 04, 08:22 PM
Ron Hunter

Roger Stone wrote:
[...]

I think you have already concluded that they have reached a point in
their use life where they aren't up to the demands of a digital camera.
You could use them for other things, or just throw them out. It seems
that after 5 years they have returned your investment, several times over.

Old June 24th 04, 08:50 PM
Roger Stone

Ron Hunter wrote:

Roger Stone wrote:

What are the symptoms of aging in MiMH AA batteries? They're about 5
years old, and have been in very regular use. I've gotten my value
out of them, I'll admit, but I'm looking for some sort of test that
will tell me it's finally time to toss them out.

I think you have already concluded that they have reached a point in
their use life where they aren't up to the demands of a digital camera.
You could use them for other things, or just throw them out. It seems
that after 5 years they have returned your investment, several times over.

Unquestionably - I'm just wondering if I should consider something else
(e.g. RCR-V3) for this camera or if new NiMHs are the way to go.
Not to mention, it might be time to replace _all_ our old NiMHs with new
ones...
Old June 25th 04, 12:46 AM
hfs2

What about loading a charged set into flashlite? I think a pr3 will draw
1/2A, the hals will draw more. Come back after a movie. If you still
have a light the batteries must be pretty good.

Specs claim a 1.8AHr battery should go about 3 hours. Never checked
it out though.

Old June 25th 04, 12:51 AM
hfs2

About Kodaks and voltage. I have a dx4330 that goes nuts if
I try and take pictures with the monitor on. I assume it must
be a voltage thing - but that's a guess. It draws over an amp
when viewing - I measured it.

Old June 25th 04, 09:18 AM
Ron Hunter

Roger Stone wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:

Roger Stone wrote:

What are the symptoms of aging in MiMH AA batteries? They're about 5
years old, and have been in very regular use. I've gotten my value
out of them, I'll admit, but I'm looking for some sort of test that
will tell me it's finally time to toss them out.

I think you have already concluded that they have reached a point in
their use life where they aren't up to the demands of a digital
camera. You could use them for other things, or just throw them out.
It seems that after 5 years they have returned your investment,
several times over.

Unquestionably - I'm just wondering if I should consider something else
(e.g. RCR-V3) for this camera or if new NiMHs are the way to go.
Not to mention, it might be time to replace _all_ our old NiMHs with new
ones...

At this point, it doesn't seem economically beneficial to make a change
of type. For those who haven't already invested in NIMH and charger,
the choice isn't so clear. If I were at that point, I might go with the
newer technology, were it not for the fact that I use the AA NIMH in
other devices, ie., a GPS receiver.
Old June 28th 04, 03:39 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Roger,

I can appreciate your interest and am glad to help.

You choice is a good one although the dock has a charging feature that will
make the camera easier to use. Something to consider for the future. The
battery charging method you did choose should provide great results as well
and under normal conditions the batteries should last a long time. Digital
cameras do take a certain amount of power that is higher than many other
devices, so peak levels may be high and sustained, depending on what you are
doing. The newest batteries we offer (2100 MAH) are very good and long
lasting.

I would also note that due to the nature of their chemistry, Ni-MH batteries
perform better when used regularly. When they are not used, their internal
chemicals can crystallize. This is very similar to how a jar of honey that
has sat on the shelf a long time can crystallize. The crystallized part of
the battery does not hold a charge and therefore reduces the overall charge
capacity of the battery. In the case of honey, you can heat the jar to
un-crystallize it. For the Ni-MH batteries, the conditioning process below
will help reverse the crystallization and increase the capacity for holding
a charge.

If you use the camera infrequently, you may wish to consider using
disposable CRV3 or AA lithium batteries. Many of our infrequent users have
found the long storage capacity of this battery to outweigh the additional
cost of it being disposable.

If this conditioning process did not correct the charging issue with your
battery, please respond to this email with your name, address, and phone
number. To ensure priority service, please do not change the subject line
of the reply. We will send a replacement battery along with a return
envelope for your old battery.

Talk to you soon, Roger, let me know if you have additional questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company