which PC

Old June 5th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mogh baba

Default which PC

hi,

I have a question which I hope someone can give me e good answer.
Recently, my computer died and the serviceman says the usual word: You
do not win by repairing this and it is better to get a new pc.
the only sertiouse requirement I have from a new pc is that it is good
for working with digital RAW files. The specifications suggests that
the new computer with 250 G HDD and 1024 ram and an Intel Core 2 duo
2.0 desktop seems to be good enough for me. My only question is about
the integrated garaphic card. the seller says it is very good and if
i want to get a seperated card it will cost me more than 150 US
dollar. shall I go for the integrated card or get a seperate one?
Shall I think about other specifications? The integrated card is
called: "onboard Intel GMa3000 256mb".

I hope I have given enough information.

best regards,

Mojtaba

Old June 5th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dennis@home

mogh baba wrote in message
hi,

I have a question which I hope someone can give me e good answer.
Recently, my computer died and the serviceman says the usual word: You
do not win by repairing this and it is better to get a new pc.
the only sertiouse requirement I have from a new pc is that it is good
for working with digital RAW files. The specifications suggests that
the new computer with 250 G HDD and 1024 ram and an Intel Core 2 duo
2.0 desktop seems to be good enough for me. My only question is about
the integrated garaphic card. the seller says it is very good and if
i want to get a seperated card it will cost me more than 150 US
dollar. shall I go for the integrated card or get a seperate one?
Shall I think about other specifications? The integrated card is
called: "onboard Intel GMa3000 256mb".

If its just normal photo editing then integrated graphics should work fine.
Its 3D games performance that you pay extra for.

You may want more RAM you never have enough IME.

Make sure you get a good monitor.
You need to be able to see what you are editing.

If expense is not a problem have a look at a tablet PC..
they are notebooks but they have a full screen graphics tablet built in.

Make sure you get one with a Wacom compatible screen as some of the newer
low cost ones just have a touch screen and not a graphics tablet.
If it only works with the supplied stylus it should be a wacom.
If it works with your finger nail its not.

You may still want a monitor but they all support that AFAIK.

Old June 5th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen

dennis@home wrote:
mogh baba wrote in message
[...]

Assuming that you are looking at an IBM-type new PC, it will almost
certainly come with Windows VISTA installed, so your first requirement
should be at least 2064 Mb of RAM. Also, you should investigate the cost
of adding a second HD of at least 250 Gb or larger. Especially in the
case of memory it is cheaper to get these things as part of a new machine.
Allen
Old June 5th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Allen wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
mogh baba wrote in message
[...]

I agree with the RAM statement, it's reasonably cheap and more can never
hurt. However, I would consider an external hd as an alternative to a
2nd internal. The machine is otherwise ok assuming it includes a good
19" or better monitor.
Dave Cohen
Old June 5th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
babaloo

For use with Photoshop what you describe is more than adequate.
However if you use a large LCD panel or a wide (16:9) LCD panel integrated
graphics may not be able to drive the panel at its native resolution and
refresh rate. If that is the case the image you see will be seriously
degraded. Intel integrated graphics are the most anemic in this respect.
This is something you should understand before you buy . . .

Old June 5th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
plb49

On Jun 5, 9:54 am, "dennis@home"
wrote:
mogh baba wrote in message

[...]

If you do consider a tablet, you will definitely want a monitor for
color correction, etc. My work Toshiba Tecra tablet has such a heavy
protective layer on the screen that it dulls the display. Maybe other
brands/models are better . . .

Paul B.

Old June 5th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
just bob

"Dave Cohen" wrote in message
Allen wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
mogh baba wrote in message
[...]

I would get a 512MB video card or the 256MB video card, minimum.

Old June 5th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dmaster

Allen wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
mogh baba wrote in message
[...]

I would get a 512MB video card or the 256MB video card, minimum.- Hide quoted text -

Given that the O.P.'s intent was photo work, why? He's not going to
be swapping large texture files or doing anything else that might take
advantage of even a fraction of the video memory. Nor is he planning
to run any intense 3D games that might make use of the GPU that is
presumably on the "512MB video card" you recommend.

And if you changes his mind and wants a capable game card, then I'd
suggest picking a good GPU since that's probably going to be way more
important than the difference between 512MB and 256MB of video memory.

Dan (Woj...)

Old June 5th 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? mogh baba ?????? ??? ??????
[...]

You don't mention the motherboard, which is quite important.The best brand
is supposed to be asus, while all well-known brands are good enough.And
check also the guarantee that comes with each part-my hitachi hard disk 80
GB came for instance with 3 years full guarantee.I think that $150 for a
graphic card is way too much unless you're a hardcore gamer, I'm sure you
can get an 128 MB one for 60 euros (here).The integrated is fine for
starters,mainly word processing and internet but eg an asrock motherboard
has a PCI Express slot so if you want you can switch off the internal
graphic card and put a normal graphics card.If the mobo has only onboard
video then it's probably not one of the best.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Old June 6th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Randall Ainsworth

In article , M-M
wrote:

Macintosh, of course!