Today's Eagle

Old May 31st 07, 06:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell

Default Today's Eagle

This Bald Eagle was visiting our front yard. She let me photograph her
for the better part of an hour before I took this one of her departing.

http://www.photography-cafe.com/gall...007___3795.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/3cvwaa
--

Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old May 31st 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
just bob

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
This Bald Eagle was visiting our front yard. She let me photograph her for
the better part of an hour before I took this one of her departing.

Nice!

http://www.photography-cafe.com/gall...007___3795.jpg

May I suggest less DOF and a faster shutter speed?

Old May 31st 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charles[_2_]

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
This Bald Eagle was visiting our front yard. She let me photograph her for
the better part of an hour before I took this one of her departing.

Great shot! I'd title it "Count Eagula."

Old June 3rd 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Warren

"just bob" kilbyfan@aoldotcom wrote in message

"C J Campbell" wrote in message
This Bald Eagle was visiting our front yard. She let me photograph her
for the better part of an hour before I took this one of her departing.

Nice!

http://www.photography-cafe.com/gall...007___3795.jpg

May I suggest less DOF and a faster shutter speed?

How do you get both without changing ISO? I am only a newbie but as far as
I can gather, to increase the shutter speed you would need to open the
aperture for the same exposure. Is this right?

Old June 3rd 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 11:40:36 +1000, Warren wrote:

May I suggest less DOF and a faster shutter speed?

How do you get both without changing ISO? I am only a newbie but as far
as I can gather, to increase the shutter speed you would need to open the
aperture for the same exposure. Is this right?

Correct. When the shutter speed is made faster (letting in less
light) and the aperture is made larger by the same number of
exposure stops (letting in more light), you get the same exposure
without changing the ISO, and because the aperture is larger, the
resulting DOF is smaller. This is why lenses intended to be used
for portraits, where a small DOF is desired usually have 'fast',
wide apertures (f/2.0, f/1.4, etc.), and if you need a large DOF,
such as for landscapes that have near and far subjects, you go with
a smaller aperture.