Foveon to rock the DSLR world again, with 16.8MP sensor.

Old June 26th 04, 11:25 PM
Sander Vesik

Default Foveon to rock the DSLR world again, with 16.8MP sensor.

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Steven M. Scharf wrote:
"Sander Vesik" wrote in message

Really, the *main* stupid thing Sigma did was the development of the
'Sigma' mount. They should simply have picked one of Nikon / Canon /

Pentax.

Not so easy. These manufacturers are under no obligation to share the
technical details of their lens mounts with Sigma.

Sigma already makes lens for those mounts.

Look at all the problems Sigma lenses have with compatibility with other
manufacturer's cameras. Can you imagine if Sigma bodies had to be compatible
with Canon or Nikon or Pentax lenses? Well. we'll soon see if the Sigma
manufactured, Kodak DCS14/c works with all the Canon lenses.

yes but how much of that is real insurmountable incompat vs tradeoffs in making
all the same lens for 5 different mounts?

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old June 27th 04, 01:11 AM
Steven M. Scharf

wrote:
"Sander Vesik" wrote in message

Really, the *main* stupid thing Sigma did was the development of the
'Sigma' mount. They should simply have picked one of Nikon / Canon /

Pentax.

Not so easy. These manufacturers are under no obligation to share the
technical details of their lens mounts with Sigma.

Sigma already makes lens for those mounts.

Yes, but they reverse-engineer the camera to lens protocol. They often have
problems when a new Canon body comes out because the new body uses features
that were not present in the older Canon bodies that Sigma used during the
reverse engineering process. Genuine Canon lenses, even older ones, will,
except in extremely rare instances, be compatible with newer Canon bodies.
Sigma will, if possible (and for a fee), re-chip their lenses to be
compatible with Canon bodies--this isn't always possible.

Canon may have been willing to license Sigma to make lenses that fit the
Canon mount, but licensing them to do it doesn't mean that they tell them
how to do it. Unlikely that Canon will license their lens mount for a
non-pro camera. They probably licensed Kodak because Canon expect to sell
lenses, which are more profitable than bodies. And since the DCS14/c is
ostensibly a pro camera, Canon isn't worried about lost lens sales to Sigma,
since Sigma doesn't make pro lenses.

Old June 27th 04, 02:00 AM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

hlink.net...

wrote:
[...]

....yet pros do use Sigma lenses as David has already pointed out to
you. You continue to make statements that are blatantly false. You
made a statement earlier regarding "blind allegience" to Sigma on the
part of some - including me. I'm still waiting for you to cite proof
of that statement regading me. Let me save you some time and tell you
to forget about it because I don't have blind allegience to Sigma as
you have stated. You, however have a blind hatred towards Sigma.

Old June 27th 04, 04:54 AM
Skip M

[...]

Well, I just tried my 4 year old Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4 on my buddy's new 1D
mkII (I hate him) and it worked just fine. Maybe Sigma has overcome the
compatibility problems, or the EX series does better.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old June 27th 04, 06:15 AM
Ray Fischer

Georgette Preddy wrote:
The Sigma SA mount is the single best thing about Sigma DSLRs.

Because you don't have to worry about accidentally attaching one of
those lenses to your good camera.

--
Ray Fischer

Old June 27th 04, 02:10 PM
Bart van der Wolf

"Georgette Preddy" wrote in message
om...
SNIP
The Canon 1Ds has 2.76M RGB triplets,...

SNIP

Which is nonsense, because a Bayer CFA doesn't have RGB triplets.

Shooting center glass is also indisputable optically superior...

Can be, but requires more magnification of the resulting image, which
offsets the potential benefit. You reach the same result by cropping a
larger image.

What you *also* don't understand, is that the projection in the center of
the image is also using the refracted light from the lens' off-axis rays.
Only a smaller aperture will cut of those contributions, cropping won't.

SNIP
Outer frame glass is very, very poor in the 35mm format.
Again, anyone who disagrees is simply irrationally disregarding the
facts in a futile attempt to self-justify their own ignorance with
respect simplest concepts in camera optics.

It's apparent that YOU are the ignorant one.

The SD9 totally dominates the Canon 1Ds in all of those respects:

Which proves the point. You are ignorant.

Bart

Old June 27th 04, 05:42 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Skip M" wrote in message
newsxrDc.601$876.411@fed1read07...

Well, I just tried my 4 year old Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4 on my buddy's new 1D
mkII (I hate him) and it worked just fine. Maybe Sigma has overcome the
compatibility problems, or the EX series does better.

It's not every lens that has the problem. Four years old is relatively new.
I'd worry more about ten year old lenses.

Old June 28th 04, 01:54 PM
Mick Sterbs

"Giorgio Preddio" wrote in message
om...

The compatibility problems only occur if the Canon camera body is
newer than the Sigma lens. Even then, Sigma will rechip any lens, but
I fail to see why anyone would want to use Sigma lenses on a crappy
Canon body. The Kodak is a piece of crap. It may use the Sigma body
housing, but it is lacking the most critical gem of the Sigma SD*
series....the Foveon X3 sensor advantage.

Wow, how enormously clever and erudite you are. I so wish I was an
important professor of photography and master photographer of hard core
pornography and filth.