Foveon to rock the DSLR world again, with 16.8MP sensor.

Old June 24th 04, 11:40 AM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

Default Foveon to rock the DSLR world again, with 16.8MP sensor.

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
ink.net...
David Kilpatrick wrote in message

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

The disastrous Sigma digital SLRs didn't do anything to
inspire confidence in Foveon. Even though it wasn't just the

sensor that
was
the cause of all the problems, the sensor justifiably got a lot

of the
blame.

Steven, the SD10 is not 'disastrous' - it's really very good - and

if
there are problems with the sensor for sports and action, or low

light news,
etc, then the shortcomings of the SD9/10 body are quite well matched

avoiding those users.

I meant disastrous in terms of sales.

And for many people the shortcomings you list above are quite

significant. I
do note in a couple of places that for studio photographers, and for

well
lit landscapes, the SD10 is okay.

If a mainstream manufacturer had adopted Foveon, rather than all

of them
deciding the technology was not for them, a larger number of

photographers
would have been working with it and discovering some of the unique

qualities
of its odd colour sensitivity and response, and how to defeat its

gremlins.

But the first and second tier manufacturers didn't adopt if for some

of
those very reasons. Kodak, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Minolta, were all
potential customers (Canon is doing their own sensors), and they

chose
something else because of the shortcomings of the Foveon sensor.

Mine even managed to disposed of its own dust-on-sensor problem. I

suspect
a bumpy car ride managed that. I am now considering marketing a

captive bolt
device to place against the body of your DSLR while holding it

face-down -
to give the entire body the same 'shock' as the Olympus E-1 gives to

just
the sensor to shake off dust...

Funny.

IMVAIO, 5.6 Mpixel/16.8 megaphotodetector, is too little too late

unless
they defeat the gremlins and odd color sensitivity and response,

that you
noted.

At least you understand and acknowledge the issues with the SD10. I

don't
understand the blind devotion of people like Peter, GP/LM/OW/SQ/DG,

to a
product. I can take any product I own, including my digital cameras

and tell
you the issues with them; I'm not emotionally attached to them or

the
company that made them. Telling me that there are problems with a

product I'
ve chosen to buy doesn't offend me. But some people take it

personally when
facts about a product they own are presented.

Blind devotion? Please cite any posts I've made to show I have blind
devotion to the Sigma cameras. Don't forget to include the posts
where I've praised the 10D and the D70. If anyone borders on blind
devotion it is you - a blind devotion to trash the Sigma cameras at
every opportunity. Your stating that I have blind devotion to the
Sigma is another example of your inaccuracies.

Old June 24th 04, 03:28 PM
Mick Sterbs

"Georgette Preddy" wrote in message
m...
Foveon Pro 10M (that is, it shoots dead center glass ON TOP of the
huge advantages above).

Think.

Same old spin from Preddy. Or do you prefer sg10.3?

Old June 24th 04, 04:00 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Mick Sterbs" wrote in message

"Georgette Preddy" wrote in message
m...
Foveon Pro 10M (that is, it shoots dead center glass ON TOP of the
huge advantages above).

Think.

Same old spin from Preddy. Or do you prefer sg10.3?

Shooting center glass does reduce CA. But of course there is a huge
trade-off in the crop factor. You could get the same reduction in CA in a
film camera by making some cropping all but the center of the photo!

Professionals want as small of a crop factor as possible, preferably 1. The
EOS-Mark II isn't bad though. If Foveon and Sigma ever want to get into the
pro or prosumer segment, then they'll need a larger sensor.

Old June 24th 04, 04:38 PM
dylan

Latest review I read put Nikon 12-24 zoom ahead of similar Stigma EX on
resolution, contrast & chromatic abberation.

"Georgette Preddy" wrote in message
om...
Crownfield wrote in message

Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:

"Mick Sterbs" wrote in message

" Miro" wrote in message
u...

I suppose that anything called SD11 might give a clue.

And when we reach SD23 we might some hope that they'll have moved

out of the
toy camera market.

If you ever used an SD9 or SD10 then you would realize what a
ludicrous statement you've made.

my cameras are all nikon based.

Love that ISO 200.

I can get lenses from nikon, sigma, tamron, quantaray, vivatar, ...
you can get lenses from sigma.

I can get cameras from nikon, fuji, kodak,
You can get cameras from sigma.

I look for quality and open system design,
you look for cameras and lenses
from an off brand supplier of odd cameras and shoddy lenses.

Sigma is the largest lens maker in the world. Their newer EX line is
optically beating up everything else made, even at 5 times the cost.
Sigma is the only lens maker that has the technology to build lenses
for digital, the others are currently playing catch up. No, I'm not
talking about DC, but rather DG.

Old June 24th 04, 05:33 PM
David Kilpatrick

dylan wrote:

Latest review I read put Nikon 12-24 zoom ahead of similar Stigma EX on
resolution, contrast & chromatic abberation.

Quite correct, though it does have aberrations. However, the comparison
is between a lens covering ANY sensor size including full frame (Sigma)
and one which only covers APS, DX size 1.5X factor sensors. The Nikon is
a much simpler design and has a cleaner image centrally, but the Sigma
has slightly better geometry, even on a 1.5X sensor, and better
illumination on the DX format too. It has awesome light-fall of full
frame, but you can't expect much else with a 12mm for simple reasons
affecting all lenses - good or bad.

The Sigma 12-24mm is much better than it should be - two years ago it
might have been described as impossible to make. Well, they made it. Now
it is up to Nikon and Canon to make better full-frame 12-xx mm lenses.

This is the usual way it works - Sigma produces something no-one has
made before, to an acceptable standard but not exceptional, and the
others follow. One big exception - Canon's 35-350mm zoom. They were the
first to do a 10X tele zoom of this range, and I don't think anyone has
matched it to date (Sigma made their 50-500mm later and it's nothing
like as good).

David

Old June 24th 04, 05:39 PM
Georgette Preddy

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

The disastrous Sigma digital SLRs didn't do anything to
inspire confidence in Foveon. Even though it wasn't just the sensor that

was
the cause of all the problems, the sensor justifiably got a lot of the
blame.

Steven, the SD10 is not 'disastrous' - it's really very good - and if

there are problems with the sensor for sports and action, or low light news,
etc, then the shortcomings of the SD9/10 body are quite well matched to
avoiding those users.

The SD10's servo focus mode is infinitely better than the 10D's, which
has a virtual 100% AF miss rate. FPS (which is about the same as the
SD10 at only 6MP interpolated) is useless without an AF system that
works. As a result the 10D is the worst possible DSLR choice for
action, and the SD10 is one of the very best due to its truly superb
sharpness compared to any Bayer.

The SD10 body is also the best in the world ergonomically (nothin
remotely close--with Canon being total junk) and near the best in the
world in terms of ruggedness, if not the best. That is exactly why
Kodak chose Sigma to produce their highest end DSLR's body.
Old June 24th 04, 07:30 PM
Mike Kohary

David Kilpatrick wrote:
Mike Kohary wrote:

If that's the case, then why isn't Sigma dominant in the
professional market over Canon and Nikon, the two widely
acknowledged leaders in the field?

It's obvious why Sigma isn't, and it is because Sigma isn't that
Foveon isn't...

Talking in circles isn't a very good start to your argument.

if Foveon's sensor had been found in a Nikon or Canon
attitudes would be a little different. The quality of the images has
nothing at all to do with the Sigma involvement.

Non-responsive. My question stands.

And as for the status quo...

I understand that you feel that this is the way things are (though I happen
to think you're quite misguided in your assessment). But again, my
question: WHY is this the way things are, if Sigma/Foveon technology is so
superior?

Mike

Old June 24th 04, 08:27 PM
Alan D-W

"David Kilpatrick" wrote in message
I don't personally know any pros who use Sigma anything either. And
I've seen enough of their products through the years to know what
they're about - crap.

Most DSLR-using pros I know have one or more Sigma lenses, usually the

I wonder which pro world you are associated with? In what context do you use
the abbreviation 'pro'?
If it's supposed to be an abbreviation for 'professional' then I'm wondering
about which dictionary you used for the definition of the word 'most'?