Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

Old March 29th 18, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ragnusen Ultred

Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint & with fonts?

I have someone making signs for me on a vinyl style printer where she says
she can't read in the Microsoft Powerpoint and fonts, even though I've
embedded the entire truetype set (not just what's used in the document) in
the PowerPoint file.

I don't have a Mac nor Adobe Illustrator to test it out, but can't
Illustrator just read in the PowerPoint file with the fonts?

She says it can't do either, so she has to re-create the sign from a JPEG
which seems pretty ridiculous to me but I don't know the technology at all
since I have never done it.

It's basically two question:
1. Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a PowerPoint file from Windows?
2. If yes, can't it get the font out of the embedded font in the PPT file?
Old March 29th 18, 04:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ragnusen Ultred
wrote:

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint & with fonts?

illustrator is the same on both platforms and can open a wide variety
of formats, except that powerpoint is not one of them (no surprise
there).

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/...mats-illustrat
or.html

I have someone making signs for me on a vinyl style printer where she says
she can't read in the Microsoft Powerpoint and fonts, even though I've
embedded the entire truetype set (not just what's used in the document) in
the PowerPoint file.

powerpoint is the *wrong* tool for making signs, which you were told
the last time you asked about that (and subsequently ignored all of the
advice).

*start* with illustrator.

otherwise, save the powerpoint as pdf and open that.
Old March 29th 18, 04:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Mar 28, 2018, Ragnusen Ultred wrote
(in article ):

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint & with fonts?

I have someone making signs for me on a vinyl style printer where she says
she can't read in the Microsoft Powerpoint and fonts, even though I've
embedded the entire truetype set (not just what's used in the document) in
the PowerPoint file.

I don't have a Mac nor Adobe Illustrator to test it out, but can't
Illustrator just read in the PowerPoint file with the fonts?

She says it can't do either, so she has to re-create the sign from a JPEG
which seems pretty ridiculous to me but I don't know the technology at all
since I have never done it.

Since we all know who is who in this pond I will accept your query as
genuine, but I am weary of all you post.

It's basically two question:
1. Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a PowerPoint file from Windows?

Sort of, but first there is no Mac Adobe Ilustrator. Currently there is Adobe
Illustrator CC for Win and Mac, and is available for monthly subscription.

https://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator.html

As to how a PPT file can be read into Ai there are a few steps to be
followed:

https://youtu.be/-1gCwdRwIsY

https://www.free-power-point-templat...-to-convert-a-
powerpoint-presentation-to-a-vector-image/

https://pptxtreme.com/powerpoint-to-photoshop-and-back-on-your-mac/

2. If yes, can't it get the font out of the embedded font in the PPT file?

https://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/m...s-illustrator-
4813.html

Probably, if you follow some of the tips above.

Personally, with my interest in photography rather than design, or
illustration I do not use Ai just Lightroom CC, and Photoshop CC along with
some othe photography centric software. If I want to open a PPT file, or
presentation on my Mac I use Keynote.

Savageduck

Old March 29th 18, 01:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Ragnusen Ultred" wrote

| Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint & with fonts?

Please cross-post if necessary, rather than multi-posting.
Your question is being answered in the Win10 group. The
consensus seems to be:

Convert the PPT to PDF. (In MS Office, or failing that,
in Libre Office.)

Import the PDF into Illustrator.

Old March 29th 18, 03:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Thu, 29 Mar 2018 08:48:34 -0400, schrieb Mayayana:

Your question is being answered in the Win10 group.

The answer is different on the two platforms since the entire set of
truetype embedded fonts are involved.

I would ask on the Mac group, but it's filled to the brim with little
children who have almost no technical competency so it would be a waste to
ask there, whereas adults reside here who own a Mac, and the Windows group
is always adults as can be seen by the responses there.

Moving forward, I'm leaning toward PDF, DOC, or WMF, but I don't think WMF
can embed the fonts (I never worked with WMF).
Old March 29th 18, 05:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Thu, 29 Mar 2018 07:15:31 -0700, schrieb Ragnusen Ultred:

Moving forward, I'm leaning toward PDF, DOC, or WMF, but I don't think WMF
can embed the fonts (I never worked with WMF).

Quick update.
Forget WMF. The PPT to WMF output looks nothing like the originals.

So it's only PDF and DOC/RTF (and other image-file formats) that are left
that AI will read in directly, but the DOC/RTF seems to only be the text
and not the graphics, so, without a 'converter' program of some type,
Microsoft Word DOC files are not feasible.

PDF with embedded fonts is the main option, it seems, although the MAC
Windows suite can't handle embedded fronts in Windows documents but I'm not
sure about whether the Mac Adobe Illustrator can handle embedded fonts in
PDF documents.

Another option, which came up on the helpful Windows newsgroup, is to
convert the font text to curves using this option (assuming the
no-longer-available MS Office 2007 plugin is already installed).

Office Logo Save As (choose PDF) Tools Publish

Tools contains these subsections
a. Map Network Drive...
b. Save Options...
c. General Options...
d. Web Options...
e. Compress Pictures...

In the "Save Options...", there is
A. Popular
B. Proofing
C. Save
D. Advanced
E. Customize
F. Trust Center
G. Resources

Under "Advanced" is a "Print" section, and under that is:
[_]Print TrueType fonts as graphics

However, I just ran a quick test, where the results of looking at a small
"e" zoomed tightly on saving to PDF with and without that option doesn't
seem to make any realistic difference at the size of two-inch letters
typical of road signs.

http://i.cubeupload.com/3Zbidh.gif

--
Assumes "SaveAsPDFandXPS.exe" is already installed:
2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS
Old March 29th 18, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ragnusen Ultred
wrote:

Your question is being answered in the Win10 group.

The answer is different on the two platforms since the entire set of
truetype embedded fonts are involved.

no it isn't, since illustrator is the same on both platforms.

I would ask on the Mac group, but it's filled to the brim with little
children who have almost no technical competency

troll attempt confirmed.
Old March 30th 18, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Thu, 29 Mar 2018 15:39:01 -0400, schrieb nospam:

troll attempt confirmed.

I only speak valid verified fact that any adult can verify for himself.

What's confirmed, time and again, is that once any of the Apple-based
child-like posters, such as you, nosmap, and Jolly Roger, Lewis, BK@OnRamp,
Alan Baker, Tim Streator, etc. infest a technical-question thread, it's
dead.

Witness, for example, the *immense* progress the Windows adults made on the
same question, by the same poster, at the same time, with many excellent
technical questions and answers resolved by adults.
Can Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint & with fonts?
http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?t=1103517

On the adult platform newsgroup, we not only proved out all the necessary
steps, the adults there also found where to get the AI software (apparently
for free but I need to doublecheck that), with a valid Windows license,
using the valid free TT fonts, and outputing and inputting the right file
formats, and running the requisite steps inside the free AI tool suite:
1. Import the AI format file into AI CS2
2. Use the CutContour command
3. Use the embedded fonts
4. Print to vinyl

On the Mac group, which, for decades, has been proven time and again to be
filled to the brim with child-like responses to any technical question they
don't like, the valid technical question wouldn't likely have received a
*single* purposefully helpful technical answer, and as a result of the
children who are proven time and again to infest the Apple newsgroups, the
thread would have been miles long, getting nowhere, as this simple Mac
question recently was.
Can a Mac edit an iOS file over WiFi without iTunes existing on the Mac?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.mac.system/qjSmqEa-P8k/khhfEbzBAAAJ

What's going on?
I don't know, but it seems that simply asking a technical question that
Apple users don't like results in them purposefully destroying the thread
with their childish rants.

Examples abound where this thread simply supplies valid verified proof:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.mac.system/HS86K5NJBgU/zcn_LvqcBgAJ

Notice, as that thread proves, on the Windows and Linux newsgroups, we ask
the same questions as we ask on the Apple newsgropus, and lo and behold,
adults answer the same question by *purposfully* providing helpful answers.

Fancy that.
It's only the select set of, admittedly prolific, Apple posters, who, over
the decades, have proven time and again that they're incapable of handling
technical questions they don't like, as adults would.

There is so much proof on the net that these Apple-based half-dozen or so
posters purposfully ruin any technical thread they don't like, that you may
as well assume any thread that they, or you infest, is dead the moment you
join it.

Like what happened to this thread, the moment you joined it.

Luckily, adults are proven to exist on the other newsgroups, so fantastic
technical progress was made despite the child-like Apple posters that you
represent.

Proof positive is he
Old March 31st 18, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps
Ragnusen Ultred

Am Thu, 29 Mar 2018 08:48:34 -0400, schrieb Mayayana:

Please cross-post if necessary, rather than multi-posting.
Your question is being answered in the Win10 group. The
consensus seems to be:

Convert the PPT to PDF. (In MS Office, or failing that,
in Libre Office.)

Import the PDF into Illustrator.

Hi Mayayana,

By now, you realize why you can't have any Apple users on any thread where
you actually expect three things:
a. Technical competency
b. Purposefully helpful responses
c. On-topic technical responses

Over the past two decades, that maxim has held out in spades, where recent
experiments show that it doesn't even matter /what/ the topic is, if the
Apple users are involved, it devolves instantly into childish drivel.

I was wrong when I thought the Apple children just didn't like facts that
were 'inconvenient' for them, such as anything truthful about either iOS or
the Mac OS.

I know this because I ran an experiment earlier this week about cable
strain relief, where I purposefully asked the same question, not as me, of
a set of non-Apple newsgroups, and a set of Apple newsgroups.

Remember, this experiment was about a cable strain relief, for heaven's
sake, which shouldn't /threaten/ the Apple posters in the least - and yet -
as always - the Apple posters alone destroyed the thread!

*Experiment showing the more Apple posters, the more unhelpful garbage*
From: Erholt Rhein
Title: What do you use as a USB cable strain relief?
Newsgroups: alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.mac.system,misc.phon e.mobile.iphone
Proof: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/RDTYTGMX_iM/SQmXbIRuBAAJ

*Experiment showing lack of Apple posters always comes to a helpful solution!*
From: Erholt Rhein
Title: What do you use as a USB cable strain relief?
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.repair,comp.mobile.android,alt.hom e.repair
Proof: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.home.repair/bzlhAN_xYOM/OP7iFPBeAgAJ

The proof is astoundingly reliable over the decades, that no matter what
technical question is asked, if Apple posters are involved, the thread will
almost never come to a technical solution - while if you eliminate the
Apple posters, you almost always come to a great solution.

Like all experiments that involve the Apple newsgroups, only the Apple
thread went to hell in a hand basket instantly, simply because when gnats
buzz a picnic, they will /always/ ruin the thread.

Sure, you can attempt to swat away the Apple gnats, or you can try to
ignore them, but the moment these Apple parasites find your picnic, the
thread is as good as ruined already.

Since I only speak valid facts verifiable by any sentient adult, here are
the links to that simple non-operating-system related experiment.

Apple posters posting incessant drivel to the simplest of questions:
Adult posters posting purposefully helpful answers to the same questions:

As just another pertinent example that the Apple posters have no intention
to ever be helpful, nor can they be helpful, just look at this simple
summary from the /same/ thread topic, where the difference between the lack
of technical competence on this newsgroup versus the adult newsgroup is
stellar.

High purposefully unhelpful ratio:
*Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?*
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.photo.digital/zdVFRNwhdA8/UXTcwOiUBgAJ

High purposefully helpful ratio:
*Can Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint & with fonts?*
http://www.pcbanter.net/showthread.php?t=1103517

*** *** *Summary of the progress on the _adult_ newsgroups* *** *** ***
0. The best format, by far, for output from PowerPoint 2007 to suck into
Adobe Illustrator is PDF, particularly a PDF with the entire embedded font
set, simply because the /native/ format of Adobe Illustrator /is/ PDF.

1. A screenshot of the template, where the users are instructed they can
change anything but the last line (the ordinance legalities) and the
outside border. For example, if they want to draw a picture, they can, but
nobody bothered. They all just changed the text, which is why PowerPoint is
the right tool for that job.
http://i.cubeupload.com/pK8NQE.gif

2. The powerpoint 2007 file with the entire font set embedded.
http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/H5GDdHA1/file.html

3. The PDF output from PowerPoint, with the entire font set embedded.
http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/abXkQMAN/file.html

4. The entire "Roadgeek Series B Regular" font set, where distribution
requires only that the copyright notice be kept intact.
http://www.fontspace.com/michael-d-adams/roadgeek-2005

5. Free licensed copy of Adobe Illustrator:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4948-adobe-creative-suite-free.html

6. Instructions for importing PDF into Adobe Illustrator:
How to edit PDF files in Adobe Illustrator
http://blog.globalizationpartners.com/using-pdf-in-illustrator-when-source-files-are-lost.aspx

Search archived for leverage at:
http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-os-windows-10
*** *** *Summary of the progress on the _adult_ newsgroups* *** *** ***

More proof positive of the same purposefully uhhelpful posts when Apple
respondents are involved is provided in this factual summary thread:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.sys.mac.system/HS86K5NJBgU/zcn_LvqcBgAJ
Old March 31st 18, 05:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.mac.apps
nospam

In article , Andreas
Rutishauser wrote:

5. Free licensed copy of Adobe Illustrator:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/4948-adobe-creative-suite-free.html

and you think a Mac user will be happy with a Windows copy of CS2?

Go figure...

they wouldn't be any happier with a mac version of cs2, since it's
powerpc only...