HELP installing USB CF card reader in XP Pro

Old August 26th 04, 08:30 PM
Martin Francis

Default HELP installing USB CF card reader in XP Pro

"schuetzen - RKBA!" wrote in message
new system I built with SATA HDDs, etc
installed a Dell reinstallation disk of XP Pro
found and d/l - installed SP1a
etc

CAN NOT get the card reader (PQI) to install to read the 300D photos.
every time I download the driver from PQI, it tells me that if I am trying

install to XP, it is not necessary and and turns itself off. I saved it

to the
HDD and cannot get driver manager to look at the .rar

The reaer came with a CD several years ago but all it was, was USB drivers
needed for 98SE.

is there something I can change in regedit to change that yellow question

mark??

frustrated.

Okay, here's how a current card reader works with XP:

1) plug it into the USB.
2) open My Computer.
3) a new drive or drives should have appeared, i.e. e: f: g: h:. Just treat
it like a big floppy drive.

- no installation neccessary.

AFAIK Win XP won't let you install any old Win 98 USB drivers. If the above
doesn't work for you, your reader isn't XP compatible (join the club) and
you'll need a new one. They aren't too expensive- in fact, if you built your
own system I recommend an internal unit for a spare 3.5" bay.

no, and yes...."

Old August 26th 04, 09:02 PM
Ken Weitzel

Big Bill wrote:

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:31:09 -0500, schuetzen - RKBA!
wrote:

new system I built with SATA HDDs, etc
installed a Dell reinstallation disk of XP Pro
found and d/l - installed SP1a
etc

CAN NOT get the card reader (PQI) to install to read the 300D photos.
every time I download the driver from PQI, it tells me that if I am trying to
install to XP, it is not necessary and and turns itself off. I saved it to the
HDD and cannot get driver manager to look at the .rar

The reaer came with a CD several years ago but all it was, was USB drivers
needed for 98SE.

is there something I can change in regedit to change that yellow question mark??

frustrated.

chas

I agree with Ed.
Buy a new reader (they're cheap); the fact that XP won't recognize the
reader you have is an excellent indication it's not using standard USB
protocol. By design, a USB flash RAM reader shouldn't need a driver to
be recognized by WinXP.

Hi...

Might be worth one last ditch effort...

From control panel delete the question mark item(s);
the shut down. Power up again and let windows
re-install it.

If that doesn't work; boot into safe mode. Go back
and again delete the question mark items (there may
be more of them) Shut down again, power up and
let windows do it's thing.

Ken

Old August 26th 04, 10:03 PM
Jim

"Martin" wrote in message

Just out of interest..

How does an internal unit connect to your motherboard?
Does your motherboard need to have specific (spare) ports or does it

hijack
the IDE or floppy ports?

The ones I have seen require a USB card with an internal USB port (internal
to the cabinet that is). I was really interested until I found that XP
recognized my old external card reader with no additional software. The
card costs about $35 at CompUSA...
Jim

Old August 26th 04, 10:13 PM
Ken Weitzel

Martin wrote:

"Martin Francis" wrote in message

"schuetzen - RKBA!" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Thanks.

Martin.

Hi Martin...

Some boards have card reader headers on them...

Ken

Old August 27th 04, 04:34 AM
Juergen

If you have a current MB 12 months old, there are headers for
connection of internal or front panel USB connections. Check your manual.
Win XP does not need drivers for USB to function. If you have an Old USB
1.1 (12Mb) reader don't waste your time get a USB 2 (400 Mb) reader.