Personal Evaluation of Panasonic DMC-FZ10

Old June 27th 04, 08:14 PM
Pete

Default Personal Evaluation of Panasonic DMC-FZ10

Hi All:

I recently replaced my trusty Olympus C-720 with an FZ10. What an
improvement! The FZ10 is a truly fabulous camera.

But no camera is perfect, and I do think the FZ10 has a couple of quite
serious problems. The older C-720 actually does better in a number of
respects.

I created a web page that discusses all this in detail. If you're
interested, it's at:

http://www.seanet.com/~pgm/panasonic.htm

Your feedback is encouraged.

Pete
Old June 27th 04, 08:37 PM
Andrew MacPherson

In article ,
(Pete) wrote:

Your feedback is encouraged.

If I hadn't recently cracked and bought a Canon S1 IS instead that page
would have been very helpful :-) Thanks anyway.

Andrew McP
Old June 27th 04, 09:37 PM
Phil Wheeler

Pete wrote:
Hi All:

I recently replaced my trusty Olympus C-720 with an FZ10. What an
improvement! The FZ10 is a truly fabulous camera.

But no camera is perfect, and I do think the FZ10 has a couple of quite
serious problems. The older C-720 actually does better in a number of
respects.

I created a web page that discusses all this in detail. If you're
interested, it's at:

http://www.seanet.com/~pgm/panasonic.htm

Your feedback is encouraged.

Pete,

How did you get that hummingbird to pose for two identical shots with
the two different cameras? I can seldom get even one shot of a hummingbird!

Nice review and valuable to anyone considering the Panasonic. Would be
nice to see how it compares to the Canon S1 IS (also has IS).

Phil

Phil

Old June 28th 04, 01:57 AM
Pete

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:37:19 GMT, Phil Wheeler wrote:

How did you get that hummingbird to pose for two identical shots with
the two different cameras? I can seldom get even one shot of a hummingbird!

Phil:

As the "small print" reveals, they're actually photos of a printed
hummingbird calendar. You're right that I'd never get 2 shots the same with
real birds!

The solution I've found to getting single good shots of HBs is to hang a
feeder that has a perching rail around the perimeter. This encourages them
to sit still while feeding. Take your pics from about a foot from the
feeder. They are fearless!

I posted an example from my Oly C-720 at

www.seanet.com/~pgm/jsw_p6060680.jpg

Pete
Old June 28th 04, 02:07 AM
Phil Wheeler

Pete wrote:

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 20:37:19 GMT, Phil Wheeler wrote:

How did you get that hummingbird to pose for two identical shots with
the two different cameras? I can seldom get even one shot of a hummingbird!

Phil:

As the "small print" reveals, they're actually photos of a printed
hummingbird calendar. You're right that I'd never get 2 shots the same with
real birds!

Thought it was something like that.

The solution I've found to getting single good shots of HBs is to hang a
feeder that has a perching rail around the perimeter. This encourages them
to sit still while feeding. Take your pics from about a foot from the
feeder. They are fearless!

I posted an example from my Oly C-720 at

www.seanet.com/~pgm/jsw_p6060680.jpg

Very nice, Pete.

Phil

Old June 28th 04, 01:52 PM
Andrew Morris

Your feedback is encouraged.

If I hadn't recently cracked and bought a Canon S1 IS instead that page
would have been very helpful :-) Thanks anyway.

Andrew McP

Andrew,

do you have an issues with the Canon S1 IS?

Cheers,

Andrew

Old June 28th 04, 03:26 PM
Andrew MacPherson

In article ,
y (Andrew Morris) wrote:

do you have an issues with the Canon S1 IS?

I contributed to a recent thread with my thoughts on the camera. Hopefully
http://tinyurl.com/3cwpf will show you that.

It's not a perfect camera, and I'm not a big fan of the EVF or indoor
autofocus, but it's a very capable and flexible little package and I don't
regret buying it... I just regret I don't have the camera that will arrive
two generations down the line yet :-)

Andrew McP