NiMh batteries drain too quickly

Old June 27th 04, 07:46 PM
Giorgio Preddio

Default NiMh batteries drain too quickly

Vito Cavallo wrote in message ...
I recently purchased a Minolta Dimage S414. I have tried different NiMh
batteries with various results. I was wondering if someone can tell me if
my problems are normal.

I tried Olympus 1200mah batteries and I can get about 10 pictures before
camera won't work.

I tried new SunPak 2100mah batteries and I also get about 10 pictures before
the battery status is low and the camera dies.

I now have new Eveready 1450mah batteries and these last about 40 pictures.

Is this normal? Shouldn't NiMh batteries last more that 10 pictures?
How is it that the lower power Evereadys last longer than the 2100mah
SunPak?

Should I discharge the NiMh before I use them?

Do you think my camera is defective?

Thanx

You will find that the mainstream manufacturers' digital cameras tend
to waste battery power in a rampant manner. Consider the Sigma/Foveon
platform instead. Not only will you get the most efficient battery
consumption out there, but you will see notches of improvement in
image quality. The Sigma SD10 is simply the best camera ever made.

Check out this thread:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B255549A8

Old June 27th 04, 08:11 PM
Alan Browne

Giorgio Preddio wrote:

platform instead. Not only will you get the most efficient battery
consumption out there, but you will see notches of improvement in
image quality.

diagonal lines certainly look notched with the Foobarveon.

--
--e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.--

Old June 27th 04, 10:28 PM
Sapper

I have the exact same camera. I reccomend the Energizer rechargable NiMh
2300mAh batteries. Giver them a long deep charge. Also, to lengthen
battery life turn off the LCD screen and use the viewfinder, get faster
memory, avoid using the flash if it is not needed and set your image size no
higher than you need it.
-Sapper

om...

Old June 27th 04, 10:45 PM
Alan D-W

"Giorgio Preddio" wrote in message
om...

You will find that the mainstream manufacturers' digital cameras tend
to waste battery power in a rampant manner. Consider the Sigma/Foveon
platform instead. Not only will you get the most efficient battery
consumption out there, but you will see notches of improvement in
image quality. The Sigma SD10 is simply the best camera ever made.

Thank you Preddiot, Professor of Pornography and owner of 4 SD10s and an
SD10.

Old June 28th 04, 02:57 AM
kosh

one of 2 problems...

1. less likely.... poor battery charging method..... hence not getting the
most of the potential..

this happened with both sets of different power batt's.... leads me to
believe...

2. some sort of problem with the camera causing a drain.

kosh

Old June 28th 04, 03:47 AM
Sander Vesik

In rec.photo.equipment.35mm Giorgio Preddio wrote:
You will find that the mainstream manufacturers' digital cameras tend
to waste battery power in a rampant manner. Consider the Sigma/Foveon
platform instead. Not only will you get the most efficient battery
consumption out there, but you will see notches of improvement in
image quality. The Sigma SD10 is simply the best camera ever made.

Check out this thread:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B255549A8

Anybody reading this newsgroup for any length of time knows there is
no sense or point to your posts and tnhat they contain no information

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old June 28th 04, 09:49 AM
Justin Thyme

"kosh" wrote in message
one of 2 problems...

1. less likely.... poor battery charging method..... hence not getting the
most of the potential..

I suspect this is actually the most likely problem.
If he is charging NiMH batteries with a NiCd or Alkaline charger then this
could very likely be the cause. When NiMH batteries reach full charge they
will have a slight voltage drop - a good charger will detect this and switch
off at that point. If a NiCd charger is used, it will probably work just off
a timer, or will charge to 1.2V, or will try to charge indefinitely. NiCd
chargers either undercharge NiMH batteries or overcharge them - both are
bad. The other thing with NiMH batteries is that new batteries take a
couple of charge cycles to come up to full power, so if the OP was just
sticking brand new batteries in his charger then in the camera, it is quite
possible that he would get these sort of results. I've found that with a new
set of batteries, the 2nd and subsequent charges will typically last 3-5
times longer than the first charge.

this happened with both sets of different power batt's.... leads me to
believe...

2. some sort of problem with the camera causing a drain.

If NiMH's are fully charged, and discharged in the time it would normally
take to do 10 shots, then they would be damned hot coming out of the camera.
If they are hot, then it is a fault in the camera draining too fast. If they
aren't hot, then either the camera isn't correctly detecting when they are
empty, or the batteries weren't fully charged to begin with.

kosh