One photog's not so great experience with Apple

Old September 17th 18, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default One photog's not so great experience with Apple

In article , -hh
wrote:

Plus there's the much-discussed replacement iPhone batteries that
Apple announced earlier this year, where they knocked back the
cost from $79 to $29, plus gave refunds for earlier repairs:

only because people don't understand how batteries work.

android phones have the same issues but you don't hear about it
anywhere near much (or not at all).

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-huawei-nexus-6p-class-action/
Many users were reporting issues with the Nexus 6P shutting down
randomly, even when the battery was showing up to 60% charge. Other
users reported endless bootloops and battery drain.*

https://www.androidauthority.com/sam...ttery-problem-
dead-charge-825899/
Samsung acknowledges charging issues with Galaxy Note 8 and S8 devices
Old September 18th 18, 12:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 12:58:18 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I was even reading reviews of the Apple stores in my area,
and the reviews are at best 50/50 between very bad and very good. I am
now having serious doubts about getting an iMac or Macbook.

people like to complain. very few people post about good service.

the person in the above link got a couple of lemons in a row ...

Five lemons in a row when you considered the replacements. Then there
2018 MacBook Pro which went to a family member.

some people have bad luck. **** happens. other people have good luck,
maybe winning the lottery. most people are in the middle somewhere.

apple sells hundreds of millions of products per year. do you really
think the majority of them are defective?

meanwhile,
https://www.consumerreports.org/lapt...t-surface-lapt
ops-and-tablets-not-recommended-by-consumer-reports/
Microsoft Surface Laptops and Tablets Not Recommended by Consumer
Reports
The problem is predicted reliability, with estimated two-year
breakage rates of 25 percent.

... and
because of that, he thinks every apple product must be bad. he also
believes the price myth, using made up numbers and not matching specs.

he wanted to rant to get some web traffic, which is money in his pocket.

What makes you think he made it up? If what he wrote is not correct he
can be sued for gazillions.

the price comparisons were made up.

But what about the reliability problems? They are much more important.

nothing was substantiated. they're
completely fabricated numbers to further the myth that macs are more
expensive, which they aren't.

With Apple Care, I was looking to pay around $5,000 for this laptop,
compared to $3,000-$4,000 for a comparable high-end PC.
It has a beautiful screen and a beautiful design, but even then,
you¹d only spend $4,000-$5,000 on the PC side for the equivalent of
$7,000 worth of Apple hardware.

he is claiming a $2000 premium for a mac, without saying which mythical
pc can match it. the comparison is bogus. he's even comparing a macbook
*laptop* to a 'high end pc' and not another laptop. he's full of ****.

it's nothing more than an apple sucks rant to get clicks. sadly, it
worked and he's profiting from it.

more stuff he got wrong:
he said the buttons moved on the iphone x. they didn't.

he doesn't know the difference between a mouse, trackpad and cursor:

But he knows when the damned thing doesn't work. You have to
acknowledge that.

For example, the mouse would regularly stutter; as I would move the
trackpad, my mouse and keyboard would freeze temporarily as you can
see in this video

one doesn't 'move the trackpad'. the trackpad stays where it is, with
one or more fingers moving across it and/or pressing into it, which
causes the onscreen cursor (what he's incorrectly calling the mouse) to
move.

he's very confused.

You are quibbling.

also keep in mind that the 'stuttering' could easily be explained if an
external mouse was plugged in (which it probably was).

he showed it not booting with a usb-c cable plugged in, which is almost
certainly because the usb-c cable or the device at the other end of the
cable is non-compliant. note that he doesn't show anything other than
the cable and the mac.

a lot of usb-c cables are crap:
https://bensonapproved.com
All USB Type-C (USB-C) Cables and Accessories are not created
equal. Some will charge most efficiently, others might just fry your
battery. Google Chromebook engineer and Caped Cable Crusader Benson
Leung has been testing USB Type-C (USB-C) cables off Amazon, and it¹s
not just the no-brand products that have been failing.

You are guessing.

I have
time to think about this, but that Huawei Matebook X is becoming very
tempting. I am tired of Windows, but I do know it after all these
years, and when it has problems, I can at least fix it myself. If I
have problems with a Mac anything, I will be lost.

once you gain familiarity with macs (or ipads for that matter), you'll
know to fix whatever goes wrong, which will be less frequent than with
windows, and easier to fix too.

That was past. The experience of the article is now (more or less).

huh? wtf are you talking about?

Time line. I agree that on historical experiences Apple products were
reliable. The article descibes lack of reliability with present
products (in the 'now' if you like).

Eric Stevens
Old September 18th 18, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 17, 2018, MC wrote
(in article ):

-hh wrote:

But please entertain us with how I'm supposedly "envious",
particularly in light of how I've expressed frustration at the lack
of a viable new Mac Pro to replace my current ones...as well as how
for my workflow use case, a Windows PC would save me ~$2K per seat.
Sure, OS X is nice, but is it still ~$2K worth of nice?

It seems that "Apple envy" is the only comback these two Apple fanbois
have in their armoury when it comes to describing anybody who even
slightly disses their beloved Apple. They must lay awake all night
fretting that anyone should dare cast negative comment.

As an Apple user, I have no issue with folks who choose to use other operating
systems. However, It seems that there are individuals who relish announcing
negative reports regarding Apple products when they have no flesh in the game.
This is particularly irritating when my experience has been counter to any of
the reported issues. I had an iPhone 6+ which has never had any of the battery
issues (my step-daughter is using it now, still without issue, and I am now
using an iPhone 8+). I have used Apple computers since 1983, and iMacs, and
various Apple laptops since 1998. They have been the trouble free host to
Lightroom, Photoshop, and other photography related apps in all the time I have
used them. Personally I see much of the reporting of the imminent demise of
Apple products as unwarranted FUD.

As for “Apple envy”, that is not my argument. I would say that it is more a
case of Apple ignorance as means of justifying choices users of other systems
have made.

They do say that those in denial are the one to bite hardest in the
hope all it will all go away. In this instant, denial that Apple are
becoming very ordinary in the tech world and that they are still paying
a premium for the privilage to stay on the Apple mediocrity carousel.

....and yet in all the time I have used Apple products I have not experienced any
of this “Apple mediocrity”, and I have been more than happy to pay that
“premium" for my smooth, and trouble free Apple experience. So on my part
there has been nothing to deny. That was not my experience using Windows
machines at work, nor was it the experience of co-workers using Windows.

As I have said elsewhere, I have not had to use a Windows machine since I
retired in Feb. 2009, and for that I am thankful.

Savageduck

Old September 18th 18, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , MC
wrote:

It seems that "Apple envy" is the only comback these two Apple fanbois
have in their armoury when it comes to describing anybody who even
slightly disses their beloved Apple. They must lay awake all night
fretting that anyone should dare cast negative comment.

nope. dissing isn't the problem.

it's *false* comments, especially ones made out of ignorance, that are
the problem.

apple does a lot of things wrong, but the haters never seem to figure
out what they are. all they can manage is spewing the same old boring
and known to be false myths, like price.

They do say that those in denial are the one to bite hardest in the
hope all it will all go away.

that would describe you. you'd prefer if those refuting your bogus
claims would just go away because you don't want to be embarrassed any
further than you already have.

In this instant, denial that Apple are
becoming very ordinary in the tech world and that they are still paying
a premium for the privilage to stay on the Apple mediocrity carousel.

even more false comments.

there is no price premium nor is there anything mediocre about apple.

it's actually the opposite:
https://www.jamf.com/blog/debate-ove...acs-are-535-le
ss-expensive-than-pcs/
...With more employees choosing Mac than ever before, the company now
has 90,000 deployed (with only five admins supporting them), making
it the largest Mac deployment on earth.
...IBM found that not only do PCs drive twice the amount of support
calls, theyre also three times more expensive. Thats right,
depending on the model, IBM is saving anywhere from $273 - $543 per
Mac compared to a PC, over a four-year lifespan. And this reflects
the best pricing weve ever gotten from Microsoft, Previn said.
Multiply that number by the 100,000+ Macs IBM expects to have
deployed by the end of the year, and were talking some serious
savings.

tl;dr - ibm is paying a premium to use windows pcs, several million
dollars worth.
Old September 18th 18, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

What makes you think he made it up? If what he wrote is not correct he
can be sued for gazillions.

the price comparisons were made up.

But what about the reliability problems? They are much more important.

what about them?

he got a string of lemons. he was unlucky. very unlucky.

certainly you don't think a sample size of one person is in any way
indicative of more than 1 billion apple customers worldwide, do you?

more stuff he got wrong:
he said the buttons moved on the iphone x. they didn't.

he doesn't know the difference between a mouse, trackpad and cursor:

But he knows when the damned thing doesn't work. You have to
acknowledge that.

you have to acknowledge that much of it is due to his own incompetence.

apple gave him a homepod for his troubles, which they did not have to
do, and he even ****ed that up. there's not a lot to get wrong, but yet
he managed to get it wrong.

For example, the mouse would regularly stutter; as I would move the
trackpad, my mouse and keyboard would freeze temporarily as you can
see in this video

one doesn't 'move the trackpad'. the trackpad stays where it is, with
one or more fingers moving across it and/or pressing into it, which
causes the onscreen cursor (what he's incorrectly calling the mouse) to
move.

he's very confused.

You are quibbling.

nope.

he can't even get the basics correct.

he also didn't say what app he was using and it's hard to tell what it
is (even at full 720p resolution), other than it's not anything apple
wrote.

apple has no control over what third party software developers do
(another myth busted), and if that app locks up for a few seconds,
that's a problem with that particular app, not apple.

he is very light on details, obviously hiding key information.

of course, if he really wanted to get to the bottom of it, he would
check the logs and track down the problem, but he didn't. he just wants
to rant and get the clicks.

he showed it not booting with a usb-c cable plugged in, which is almost
certainly because the usb-c cable or the device at the other end of the
cable is non-compliant. note that he doesn't show anything other than
the cable and the mac.

a lot of usb-c cables are crap:
https://bensonapproved.com
All USB Type-C (USB-C) Cables and Accessories are not created
equal. Some will charge most efficiently, others might just fry your
battery. Google Chromebook engineer and Caped Cable Crusader Benson
Leung has been testing USB Type-C (USB-C) cables off Amazon, and it1s
not just the no-brand products that have been failing.

You are guessing.

since he refuses to give any details, guessing is all anyone can do.

a defective usb-c cable could easily cause what he experienced, and
while it's not the only possibility, it's by far the most likely.

i have had *two* defective hard drives that when connected, prevented
the computer from booting (one was a mac the other was a linux box).

it's clear he has an axe to grind, so i wouldn't be at all surprised if
some of it was staged.

I have
time to think about this, but that Huawei Matebook X is becoming very
tempting. I am tired of Windows, but I do know it after all these
years, and when it has problems, I can at least fix it myself. If I
have problems with a Mac anything, I will be lost.

once you gain familiarity with macs (or ipads for that matter), you'll
know to fix whatever goes wrong, which will be less frequent than with
windows, and easier to fix too.

That was past. The experience of the article is now (more or less).

huh? wtf are you talking about?

Time line. I agree that on historical experiences Apple products were
reliable. The article descibes lack of reliability with present
products (in the 'now' if you like).

nope. it describes the experience of one single person, someone who
unfortunately got a string of lemons.

his experience also has nothing to do with day to day problems that
come up in normal use.

again, you don't seriously think a sample size of one is in any way
indicative of more than 1 billion apple customers worldwide, do you?

apple has some of the highest customer satisfaction rates in the
industry. nothing is perfect, but overall, their products are *very*
reliable.
Old September 18th 18, 01:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , -hh
wrote:

Now some people will try to blame
Intel for this (see below), but that doesn't excuse bugs in the OS,
or defective motherboards (see iPhone 8 recall), and the all-too-many
other recent examples of Apple shipping "beta" quality products.

those are separate issues, especially the iphone 8, which doesn't use
an intel x86 processor. some versions have an intel baseband but that's
entirely different.

That Apple is having such problems across all of their product
lines ... including those without Intel CPUs ... means that the
common problem isn't one supplier (Intel), but at Apple.

apple isn't having such problems across all of their product lines.

apple has some of the highest customer satisfaction rates in the
industry, which could not happen if there were widespread problems.

part of that is intel's fault, who is continually late with new chips.

That none of the other big PC OEMs .. Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc, manifest
having
the same problems coping with Intel makes it all clear that this isn't an
"Intel Problem", but an Apple problem.

oh yes they do.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/debian-...kylake-kaby-la
ke-processors-have-broken-hyper-threading/

No, because the claim was that Intel was unable to meet delivery
schedules for new chips, so noting that there's also been problems
with hyperthreading fails to substantiate that original claim.

yes it does. apple isn't going to use chips with known issues.

microsoft did it and it bit them in the ass.

It could be because...[Microsoft Surface]
For example, the Mac mini hasn't gotten a hardware
update for four (4) years. Its CPU is Intel's 5th
Generation "Haswell", and since then, Intel has shipped:

6th Gen - Broadwell (1Q2015)

7th Gen - Skylane (4Q2015) & Kaby Lake (3Q2016)

8th Gen - Coffee Lake (1Q2018) ... which are in the MacBook Pro's which
Apple finally updated in July, a full quarter later than their
competition,
who first shipped back in April.

the difference in the various generations is not that much and the mini
doesn't sell in huge numbers anyway.

That's lame excuse-making for the world's biggest by market cap corporation.

Particularly since in the meantime, there's been other companies who sell
similarly small form factor desktop PCs who _have_ been able to keep their
hardware designs up-to-date.

macbooks and imacs were recently updated, which are about 90% of mac
sales.

the imac pro is well ahead of what pcs have to offer at similar prices.

nothing comes close to the performance of the latest iphones. even last
year's iphones were beating the competition.

rumours suggest an october event, where new macs and ipads will be
announced, possibly other stuff.

in other words, an updated mini with coffee lake wouldn't be that much
better than what exists now.

Where "not much faster" is ~35% CPU and ~50% higher memory bandwidth.
Even before considering also having higher core counts available.

what matters is real world performance.

this year's macbook pro versus last year's macbook pro versus the 2015
is not *that* much.

We can similarly look at the Intel Xeon line for the Mac Pro, which
has gone five (5) years without any hardware refreshes. Anyone
really want to claim that Intel hasn't released _any_ Server/
Workstation CPUs in five years?

apple admitted they made a mistake with the trashcan mac pro.

Way back in April 2017, so where the **** is its replacement already?

18 months is not very long.

apple's product cycles are 2-3 years.

Keep in mind that it only took Apple six (6) months to ship "Yikes!".

that wasn't a complete redesign and an entirely different era.

they've been working on a redesigned mac pro, which will probably be
announced next year sometime.

No, they've *said* that they're working on it. And there still isn't
any firm release date, so it is classical vaporware.

are you accusing apple of making false and misleading statements?

Apple has left open their barn doors so wide that they could announce
on Christmas Day 2019 ... and claim that they're not "late".

they never announced a date for the next mac pro, so it can't be late.

The MacBook Air isn't a spring chicken either; its running on
a Broadwell CPU from 2015, and its last "update" was merely a
cull of base specifications to options, and decreasing the
manufacturing line from six discrete models to two.

except that it's still selling quite well. not everyone needs
top of the line.

Try keeping your excuses consistent:
* the mini isn't being updated because it isn't selling well
* the air isn't being updated because it _is_ selling well

they're not excuses and it's two different products.

i said the air *was* updated, just not at the same price point, so they
kept the old air around, which is an extremely popular product.

its replacement is the retina macbook, except that they can't
make that at the macbook air price point yet, so they're keeping
both, for now.

Amazing how other manufacturers are able to sell both MB and MBA
classes of machine for roughly half what Apple charges. Sure, we
can say that its the OSX secret sauce that makes it worth paying
more, but this much more...not really.

not with the same specs, they aren't.

apple kept the 2012 non-retina macbook around for a few years because
users kept buying them. they also kept the ipad 2 around for a few
years because users kept buying them too.

Those were for .edu sales...and the early retina display models had
a pretty steep price markup, which motivated some customers to sidestep
them, just as is being done of late with the non-touchbar MBP's.

nope. there was no restriction on who could buy them.

edu did buy a lot because of the price, but so did non-edu customers.

Meantime, the MacBook & iMac have gone 400+ days since last
refresh and could use the already-shipping Coffee Lake CPUs
currently being sold in the MBP's. About the only rational
justification for not having already released them is that
the world's biggest corporation by Market Cap can't afford to
have enough people to walk & chew gum at the same time, so
they're staggering their rollouts (and drawing down existing
inventory too), even though from a calendar schedule standpoint,
it means that Apple has already missed the back-to-school sales
bump and is now also quite likely to miss the Christmas sales
bubble (again) too.

Yup, its all Intel's fault! /S

i said partly intel.

While trying to imply that it was the majority fault. So then,
care to put a percentage on it? 10%, sure, but no way in hell
is it more than 25%.

yes way in hell. apple can't ship what intel can't make, and in the
volumes apple needs.

and keep in mind that there's a processor change brewing.

Yeah, I've heard those rumors too. Knowing how Apple likes
to vertically integrate, there's chance, but the problem with
it is that it takes 2+ years for the software vendors to all
provide updates to make a new workflow actually better; BTDT x3.

nonsense. for most developers, it's little more than recompiling and
testing.

ios apps are already compiled for x86 and arm.

for apps on the app store, developers won't even need to do the first
part because apple's bitcode can build the appropriate binary on the
fly.

more complex apps may need additional work, but certainly not 2-3 years
worth.

obviously, anything that relies on specifics about the x86 instruction
set or hardware will need more effort, but very, very few apps fall
into that category.

apple's a11 and a12 chips in their iphones are benchmarking in the
range of macbooks, in some cases better, and that's with a chip
designed to run on a small battery in a pocket sized device.

Still doesn't solve the Application software problem. And given how
Apple is struggling to get even their own core Apps up to 64 bit
clean before they EOL themselves, the prospects of a new CPU change
not being an utter disaster are pretty damn low.

nonsense.

an arm chip designed for a laptop or desktop, not limited to the
thermals, power and size constraints of a phone, would be much better.

If you set your bar low enough, anything is possible. So how
about an Apple ARM that can take on a Xeon class that would be
suitable for a Mac Pro desktop?

how about no straw men.

nobody is expecting arm chips to debut in a mac pro.

the most likely place is in a future macbook air or mac mini. the
latter could even be the size of the existing apple tv.

another part is that the industry has changed and desktops and laptops
have taken a back seat to mobile, and not just apple. the iphone is the
largest part of apple's revenue, so that's what gets the most
attention.

Yet the Mac still is more profitable than the iPad product line,
despite how the latter gets updates ... and advertising.

mobile is the future.

" PCs are going to be like trucks. They're still going to be around,
they're still going to have a lot of value, but they're going to be
used by one out of X people"
- Steve Jobs, 2010

yep

And what we're learning about how the public is applying mobile,
particularly under iOS, is that mobile is for content _consumption_
much more so than it is about content _creation_.

nope.

most people are consumers, regardless of platform.

however, those who do create can *easily* do so on ios.

ios is getting most of the attention.

As a consumption platform.

imovie, photoshop and thousands of other apps say nope.

aperture was a complete market failure.

the majority of mac users chose lightroom over aperture. products that
fail in the marketplace are normally canceled.

when aperture first came out, it was *very* slow. apple said not to use
it on anything slower than a powermac. its speed got better in later
versions but it still was slower than lightroom and also lacked the
seamless integration with photoshop and raw support wasn't as fast as
from adobe. apple cut the price of aperture more than once, but nothing
could save it. it's surprising it lasted as long as it did.

More excuse making, particularly since the bang-up job that Apple
did with Final Cut serves to illustrate what they can do in the way
of non-crappy software writing when it has leadership attention &
support.

it's not an excuse. lightroom won the battle from the very beginning
and apple decided their resources were better spent elsewhere.

photos is much better than iphoto and *significantly* faster. photos
was never intended to be a replacement for aperture, which is where
most of the complaints come from. its for casual users, not photo
enthusiasts.

photos is faster...but that's it. it still can't even do today what
iPhoto did back in 2015, particularly in terms of DAM.

nonsense. it handles larger libraries and muuuuuuch faster.

however, it's *not* a pro level tool. for that, get lightroom.

As such, it
wasn't even a decent replacement for iPhoto, let alone Aperture.
The only reason why photos hasn't gotten totally slammed is because
most customers today are iOS based casual users who've never used
anything better.

no, it's because casual users don't *need* anything better.

those who do need something better overwhelmingly chose lightroom over
aperture and never even considered iphoto or photos.
Old September 18th 18, 02:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 20:56:44 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

What makes you think he made it up? If what he wrote is not correct he
can be sued for gazillions.

the price comparisons were made up.

But what about the reliability problems? They are much more important.

what about them?

he got a string of lemons. he was unlucky. very unlucky.

certainly you don't think a sample size of one person is in any way
indicative of more than 1 billion apple customers worldwide, do you?

I hope not, but what are the odds against a single customer getting so
many lemons in a row?

--- long tail snipped ---

Please note. This is how I mark snips.

Eric Stevens
Old September 18th 18, 02:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 16:32:22 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Sep 17, 2018, MC wrote
(in article ):

-hh wrote:

[...]

I accept and understand all this. I can only hope that the reliability
of your new Apple purchase will be as good as your previus Apple
devices.

Eric Stevens
Old September 18th 18, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

What makes you think he made it up? If what he wrote is not correct he
can be sued for gazillions.

the price comparisons were made up.

But what about the reliability problems? They are much more important.

what about them?

he got a string of lemons. he was unlucky. very unlucky.

certainly you don't think a sample size of one person is in any way
indicative of more than 1 billion apple customers worldwide, do you?

I hope not, but what are the odds against a single customer getting so
many lemons in a row?

obviously not very high, but it's also not zero.
Old September 18th 18, 02:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 17, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 16:32:22 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Sep 17, 2018, MC wrote
(in article ):

-hh wrote:

[...]

So far, so good.

My new iMac with a 4.2GHz i7, 32GB DDR4, and a great 27” (5120 x 2880)
“Retina Display” has been my best Mac experience to date. For me it is
breathing new life into LR CCC, and PS CC. I have every expectation that it will
perform well.