Canon mirrorless let-down (maybe)

Old July 20th 12, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

Default Canon mirrorless let-down (maybe)

On 21/07/2012 12:41 a.m., RichA wrote:
I'd much rather they produced something like the SLR-looking thing in
the lower picture than the bland black thing in the top pictures. I
don't know if that image is real, but it looks too spartan and
boring. I don't see the back of it, but I doubt anyone will be
thrilled if everything is "touch-screen" driven.
It looks even more stripped-down than their top P&S camera!!

http://www.canonrumors.com/

If the images are real, then the 43mm filter thread can be used to
measure the shutter opening at just under 15mm width, and the sensor
would be a little smaller than the opening.
Have Canon made any announcement about format?
Looks like Canon's "EF-M" format could be about the same as the Nikon
"CX" format in the 1 series.

Old July 21st 12, 03:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 21/07/2012 12:35 p.m., RichA wrote:
On Jul 20, 6:04 pm, Me wrote:
On 21/07/2012 12:41 a.m., RichA wrote: I'd much rather they produced something like the SLR-looking thing in
the lower picture than the bland black thing in the top pictures. I
don't know if that image is real, but it looks too spartan and
boring. I don't see the back of it, but I doubt anyone will be
thrilled if everything is "touch-screen" driven.
It looks even more stripped-down than their top P&S camera!!

http://www.canonrumors.com/

If the images are real, then the 43mm filter thread can be used to
measure the shutter opening at just under 15mm width, and the sensor
would be a little smaller than the opening.
Have Canon made any announcement about format?
Looks like Canon's "EF-M" format could be about the same as the Nikon
"CX" format in the 1 series.

So not as large as their DSLRs? Looks like they are possibly playing
the same (don't cannibalize DSLR sales) as Nikon then. So much for
"killing off" m4/3rds or especially Sony. Even Samsung APC stuff
might survive.

It looks like that's the case.
Nothing "wrong" with CX format, just that different formats have
different advantages and disadvantages.
For existing larger format N & C dslr users, I expect for many the
disadvantages will outweigh the advantages.
But better to cannibalise your own sales, than to have your lunch eaten
by a competitor. I think both N & C have made a tactical mistake, but
they know their market much better than I do, so we wait and see.
If they see that they've made a mistake, then I expect that they'll be
able to roll out aps-c (or even 35mm) milc models very quickly.

Old July 21st 12, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wally

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:04:09 +1200, Me wrote:

On 21/07/2012 12:41 a.m., RichA wrote:
I'd much rather they produced something like the SLR-looking thing in
the lower picture than the bland black thing in the top pictures. I
don't know if that image is real, but it looks too spartan and
boring. I don't see the back of it, but I doubt anyone will be
thrilled if everything is "touch-screen" driven.
It looks even more stripped-down than their top P&S camera!!

http://www.canonrumors.com/

If the images are real, then the 43mm filter thread can be used to
measure the shutter opening at just under 15mm width, and the sensor
would be a little smaller than the opening.

Using the implied proportions, then the width of the camera would be
about 66 mm, which is very small indeed.

Old July 21st 12, 06:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 21/07/2012 2:52 p.m., Wally wrote:
On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:04:09 +1200, Me wrote:

On 21/07/2012 12:41 a.m., RichA wrote:
I'd much rather they produced something like the SLR-looking thing in
the lower picture than the bland black thing in the top pictures. I
don't know if that image is real, but it looks too spartan and
boring. I don't see the back of it, but I doubt anyone will be
thrilled if everything is "touch-screen" driven.
It looks even more stripped-down than their top P&S camera!!

http://www.canonrumors.com/

If the images are real, then the 43mm filter thread can be used to
measure the shutter opening at just under 15mm width, and the sensor
would be a little smaller than the opening.

Using the implied proportions, then the width of the camera would be
about 66 mm, which is very small indeed.

Yes indeed thanks - something is wrong!
Okay - now look at the 4th photo down - of the lens itself, and the lens
cap can be assumed to be sitting in the filter thread. I'd assumed that
the filter thread was in the outer lens barrel.

Some very good news, remeasure based on this, and it looks like Canon
have put an APS-c sensor in this camera! (about 22mm wide)
It's also more credible as a 22mm f2 lens wouldn't be very interesting
on a smaller format, but could be part of a nice little system at APS-c
format.

Canon will kill Nikon's one system in the water if this is any good.

Old July 21st 12, 09:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

The future is clearly mirrorless, but if Canon and Nikon don't embrace
it because they want to protect their DSLR business they'll end up like
Kodak, who didn't embrace digital in order to protect their dying film
business or like Nokia who never understood that the market was moving
towards user-friendly smartphones.

This could be the beginning of the end of the dominance of Nikon and
Canon in the interchangeable lens camera sector. The future here could
belong to other players such as Olympus, Panasonic, Sony or even Samsung
who don't have much to lose in the dying DSLR business.
--

Alfred Molon
Old July 21st 12, 10:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
rwalker

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:27:02 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

This could be the beginning of the end of the dominance of Nikon and
Canon in the interchangeable lens camera sector. The future here could
belong to other players such as Olympus, Panasonic, Sony or even Samsung
who don't have much to lose in the dying DSLR business.

Is the DSLR really dying?
Old July 21st 12, 09:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article ,

Is the DSLR really dying?

It will be a slow death. The mirrorless offering is still at the
beginning, but classical DSLRs will for sure disappear sooner or later.

You keep saying this.
However, for that to happen several huge technological leaps need
to be made. Whether that'll happen before or after flying cars,
holiday trips to the moon colonies or driving (i.e. with a human
at the wheel) being illegal --- or at all --- is open to debate.

-Wolfgang
Old July 22nd 12, 11:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Kotroczo

wrote:

This could be the beginning of the end of the dominance of Nikon and
Canon in the interchangeable lens camera sector. The future here could
belong to other players such as Olympus, Panasonic, Sony or even Samsung
who don't have much to lose in the dying DSLR business.

Is the DSLR really dying?

With good electronic viewfinders becoming available, and on-sensor phase
AF, what is the point of keeping the flappy mirror?

--
Illegitimi non carborundum
Old July 22nd 12, 12:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Lichtenstein

wrote:

This could be the beginning of the end of the dominance of Nikon and
Canon in the interchangeable lens camera sector. The future here could
belong to other players such as Olympus, Panasonic, Sony or even Samsung
who don't have much to lose in the dying DSLR business.

Is the DSLR really dying?

With good electronic viewfinders becoming available, and on-sensor phase
AF, what is the point of keeping the flappy mirror?

Could you please elaborate? My understanding, which may be limited, was
that EVF cameras had to use the contrast-based AF rather than the faster
phase detection AF found in mirror box cameras. Has the technology now
changed to permit phase detection AF in EVF cameras? If so, I have not
seen anything to that effect, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Of course, you're not referring to SONY's translucent mirror technology
which does use phase detection AF, are you?