5x7 film holder dimensions/dementia again

Old May 17th 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Default 5x7 film holder dimensions/dementia again

So now I'm taking the totally empirical approach. The hell with
"standards"[1].

Can anyone who has 5x7 holders out there measure them and give me the
dimensions? I'm looking for the following:

o Total length & width
o Exposure length & width
o Retaining tab location (distance from bottom of holder to top of
retaining rib)
o Distance between bottom of holder and bottom of exposure opening

I'm comparing these to the dimensions I found at
http://home.earthlink.net/~eahoo/page8/filmhold.html.

Many thanks for any who care to respond to this.

[1] Like they say, the nice thing about standards is that there are so
many to choose from!

Old May 18th 09, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John J

David Nebenzahl wrote:
So now I'm taking the totally empirical approach. The hell with
"standards"[1].

Can anyone who has 5x7 holders out there measure them and give me the
dimensions? I'm looking for the following:

Purchase one or two of the film-holders and measure them yourself.
Old May 19th 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 5/17/2009 7:08 PM John J spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

So now I'm taking the totally empirical approach. The hell with
"standards"[1].

Can anyone who has 5x7 holders out there measure them and give me the
dimensions? I'm looking for the following:

Purchase one or two of the film-holders and measure them yourself.

Well, John, I already kinda did that, if you read my earlier posts. I
have a bunch of E.K. holders, but I'm not sure how "standard" they are.
(I'm used to seeing holders made by Fidelity, Graflex, Lisco, etc.) So
do you know whether these could be called "standard" holders?

Besides, it'd be interesting to get dimensions for lots of different
holders and see how they compare.

Old May 19th 09, 03:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John Stafford

On 5/18/09 7:49 PM, in article
, "David Nebenzahl"

David Nebenzahl wrote:

So now I'm taking the totally empirical approach. The hell with
"standards"[1].

Can anyone who has 5x7 holders out there measure them and give me the
dimensions? I'm looking for the following:

Purchase one or two of the film-holders and measure them yourself.

Well, John, I already kinda did that, if you read my earlier posts. I
have a bunch of E.K. holders, but I'm not sure how "standard" they are.

I'll ask a friend of mine who shoots a lot of 5x7 if he can help us out
here. Fidelity holders are the same as the other late plastic holders.

Old May 27th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John Joseph

Peter wrote:
On May 17, 5:27 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
So now I'm taking the totally empirical approach. The hell with
"standards"[1].

Can anyone who has 5x7 holders out there measure them and give me the
dimensions? I'm looking for the following:

o Total length & width
o Exposure length & width
o Retaining tab location (distance from bottom of holder to top of
retaining rib)
o Distance between bottom of holder and bottom of exposure opening

I'm comparing these to the dimensions I found athttp://home.earthlink.net/~eahoo/page8/filmhold.html.

Many thanks for any who care to respond to this.

[1] Like they say, the nice thing about standards is that there are so
many to choose from!

I have a pot full of 5x7 and 13x18 holders. I have measured a few and
may measure more. I don't have real accurate scales. I can do, by
eye a little better than a 16th, I think.

Older style Linhof 13x18:
Retaining tab location - 7.625"
Thickness - 0.8"
Length - 9.8"
Width - 5.9"
Distance to exposure field - 0.6"
Exposure height - 6.88"
Exposure width - 4.8 or 4.9" depending; the opening for the slide is
wider than the rails for the film.

Fidelity Deluxe, plastic w/metal slide top 13x18:
Retaining tab location - 7.625"
Thickness - 0.5"
Length - 8.875"
Width - 5.9"
Distance to exposure field - 0.7"
Exposure height - 6.75"
Exposure width - 4.78 or 4.88" depending; the opening for the slide
is wider than the rails for the film.

Fidelity Deluxe, plastic w/metal slide top 5x7":
Retaining tab location - 7.625"
Thickness - 0.5"
Length - 8.875"
Width - 5.88"
Distance to exposure field - 0.68"
Exposure height - 6.75"
Exposure width - 4.87" only the opening for the slide as it holds
film.

Folmer Graflex, for Eastman wooden 5x7":
Retaining tab location - 7.69"
Thickness - 0.58"
Length - 8.44"
Width - 5.88"
Distance to exposure field - 0.7"
Exposure height - 6.75"
Exposure width - 4.92" only the opening for the slide as it holds
film.

I may try to measure some more, if I have time later.

That's awesome! I thank you from the bottom of my heart! Real information.

Old May 27th 09, 06:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 5/26/2009 7:02 PM Peter spake thus:

[...]

[snip]

Question: How often does one get exactly what they ask for on Usenet?
Answer: Hardly ever.

All by way of thanking you profusely for posting this information. It's
in my file. I start work on my back forthwith.

By the way, "a little better than a 16th" is exactly the standard of
accuracy I'm going by here, in order to accommodate the obvious
differences between film holder sizes.

Old May 27th 09, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
John Stafford

On 5/26/09 9:02 PM, in article
, "Peter"
wrote:
[...]

Wow, Peter. That's great information. Thanks for going through the trouble.

Gee, it's like Usenet was twenty-something years ago.

Old May 28th 09, 01:48 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 5/26/2009 7:02 PM Peter spake thus:

Fidelity Deluxe, plastic w/metal slide top 5x7":
Retaining tab location - 7.625"
Thickness - 0.5"
Length - 8.875"
Width - 5.88"
Distance to exposure field - 0.68"
Exposure height - 6.75"
Exposure width - 4.87" only the opening for the slide as it holds
film.

I've compiled all the sizes I have so far into a little table at
http://www.geocities.com/bonezphoto/...X7holders.html. Will keep it
updated as new data flows in.

Old May 28th 09, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 5/27/2009 7:37 PM Peter spake thus:

The only markings on mine are stamped in the wood. They say,

"5x7 EASTMAN FILM U.S. PAT. 2056144 1641420"

(MADE?) "IN U.S.A. BY FOLMER GRAFLEX CORP. FOR EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY"

The upper part has a metal piece on each side affixed to the wood with
four screws.

Interesting; one of the holders I got in that motley collection says
(stamped in the wood)

5X7 EASTKO FILM HOLDER (on top)
MADE IN U.S.A BY FOLMER GRAFLEX CORP. FOR EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY (on
bottom)

No patent #s, and no metal pieces for the dark slide holders.

There seem to be endless variations of these devices.

Old May 28th 09, 04:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 5/27/2009 7:37 PM Peter spake thus:

I note you used your own measurements on the Folmer Graflex/Kodak. I
wonder if the disparity is wear (mine show a noticeable amount) or a
different series.

Actually, looking over the chart, it seems that all the empirical
measurements agree pretty closely. The only disparity seems to be
between the "standard" for exposure height (7.010"), and the actual
openings, which are all 6.75.

Easy to allow for this: I'll simply make the exposure opening in my back
the size of the "standard". No harm, no foul. (I'll make the ground
glass larger as well, but mark the actual exposure opening in pencil on
the GG.)