Scanning photos onto one's hard drive - why are the photos clearerthan the scan

Old February 19th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Scanning photos onto one's hard drive - why are the photos clearerthan the scan

Hi,

Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
sharp than looking at the photo itself.

I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels.
I import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0

I wonder if it's something to do with older scanner technology (it's a 5
year old scanner at least) or just a reality of scanning photos with
consumer scanners. I assume that $1000 scanners used by ad agencies
don't have this problem.

If this is the wrong group to posts this to, does anybody know of a
newsgroup that would be able to help?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Patrick
Old February 20th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Patrick Briggs" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
sharp than looking at the photo itself.

I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels. I
import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0

I wonder if it's something to do with older scanner technology (it's a 5
year old scanner at least) or just a reality of scanning photos with
consumer scanners. I assume that $1000 scanners used by ad agencies don't
have this problem.

If this is the wrong group to posts this to, does anybody know of a
newsgroup that would be able to help?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Patrick

Your problem results from a scan that doesn't have enough pixels.
Jim

Old February 20th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Patrick Briggs wrote:
Hi,

Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
sharp than looking at the photo itself.

I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels.
I import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0

I wonder if it's something to do with older scanner technology (it's a 5
year old scanner at least) or just a reality of scanning photos with
consumer scanners. I assume that $1000 scanners used by ad agencies
don't have this problem.

I assume you are scanning prints? if so then be aware that very few
prints will have a lot of detail at 600 dpi. If you want a good test
of the scanner scan a section of a dollar bill, these have very high
resolution and should show you what you scanner is capable of.

Scott

Old February 20th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
On 19 Feb 2006 16:43:52 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Scott W"
wrote:
If you want a good test
of the scanner scan a section of a dollar bill, these have very high
resolution and should show you what you scanner is capable of.

Have you actually tried to do this lately? My guess is the answer is no.

Why would you guess that, it is an easy and fast test of a scanner.

Scott

Old February 20th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" wrote in message

wrote:
If you want a good test
of the scanner scan a section of a dollar bill, these have very high
resolution and should show you what you scanner is capable of.

Have you actually tried to do this lately? My guess is the answer is no.

Why would you guess that, it is an easy and fast test of a scanner.

Put a $20 in your scanner and see why.

Indeed. Forbidden image. Photoshop may also have the security code as well

Old February 20th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,

wrote:
If you want a good test
of the scanner scan a section of a dollar bill, these have very high
resolution and should show you what you scanner is capable of.

Have you actually tried to do this lately? My guess is the answer is no.

I've scanned old photos at 600dpi. The limitations of the film become
apparent at the scale - very few are well-focussed. There will also be a
fair amount of scattering which will reduce the apparent sharpness.
Scanning pre-WW2 stamps will also make a good test subject - before the
Postal Bureau started printing their low-res offset litho stamps.
Old February 20th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 14:31:49 -0800, Patrick Briggs
wrotc:

Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
sharp than looking at the photo itself.

I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels.
I import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0

A 1100 pixels across the mointor!!
I assume it to be more or less 11 inch measured across, that makes
your photo viewing at the monitor at roughly 100 dpi only!!

Old February 20th 06, 08:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Patrick Briggs wrote:
Hi,

Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
sharp than looking at the photo itself.

I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels. I
import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0

I wonder if it's something to do with older scanner technology (it's a 5
year old scanner at least) or just a reality of scanning photos with
consumer scanners. I assume that $1000 scanners used by ad agencies
don't have this problem.

Do you really mean that you imported the scanned image into Adobe
Acrobat 6.0 and then printed it???.....How very droll.
Scan it into a photo editor like Adobe Elements, Photoshop, Irfanview
etc. Then print it without resampling it. Use your printer's highest
quality setting. Your printer driver will resample the image to match
the printer's optimum output.
Remember, the image from your printer cannot possibly contain more image
information than the original. Your scanner and your printer would both
have to be PERFECT just to reproduce the same image quality as the original.
Bob Williams

Old February 20th 06, 11:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Patrick Briggs" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
sharp than looking at the photo itself.

I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels.
I import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0

Assuming you get other aspects corrected, how about a touch of USM to
sharpen up your image ? You might need Photoshop for this.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Old February 20th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Patrick Briggs wrote:
Hi,

Does anybody understand why when one scans photos off an Epson 1200
Perfection (not accurate I think) scanner the results are slightly less
sharp than looking at the photo itself.

I'm scanning at 600 dpi and resizing the picture to 1100 x 700 pixels. I
import the picture into Adobe Acrobat 6.0

That's an odd procedure. First of all, there is no gain in
amoage quality by scanning a print at more than 300 ppi.
Then you reduced the nuber of pixels below 300 ppi, assuming
that the original print was larger than