Is Your Browser Color Managed?

Old May 29th 17, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Is Your Browser Color Managed?

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

http://nofilmschool.com/2017/02/smal...ted-dci-p3-17-
inch-
monitor

And my two new Dell UP2516Ds have Adobe RGB, sRGB, REC709 and DCI-P3.
They also have two additional profiles which I can calibrate. None of
that proves any particular profile to be that of the future.

only because dell is a follower, so they need to guess as to where the
industry is going.

So does Apple.

apple is in no way a follower. they lead the industry and everyone else
copies what they do, sometimes rather blatantly.

And please don't claim that their use of DCI-P3 makes
them a leader:

i didn't say *that* made them a leader.

that spec was not created by Apple.

irrelevant.
Old May 29th 17, 10:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 28 May 2017 20:40:27 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

http://nofilmschool.com/2017/02/smal...ted-dci-p3-17-
inch-
monitor

And my two new Dell UP2516Ds have Adobe RGB, sRGB, REC709 and DCI-P3.
They also have two additional profiles which I can calibrate. None of
that proves any particular profile to be that of the future.

only because dell is a follower, so they need to guess as to where the
industry is going.

So does Apple.

apple is in no way a follower. they lead the industry and everyone else
copies what they do, sometimes rather blatantly.

And please don't claim that their use of DCI-P3 makes
them a leader:

i didn't say *that* made them a leader.

that spec was not created by Apple.

irrelevant.

Then how, in the context of DCI-P3, can Apple be said to be not a
follower?

Eric Stevens
Old May 29th 17, 01:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| Then how, in the context of DCI-P3, can Apple be said to be not a
| follower?

Apple doesn't follow. They patent. Samsung came
out with a full-face screen. Apple patented it. But
we can't entirely blame Apple. There's got to be
some kind of corruption at the patent office that
allows companies to obtain and enforce ridiculous
patents, time and again. Though Apple are brazen
and seem to fully believe what nospam does --
that they're unmitigated creative geniuses. Just
recently they simply refused to pay Qualcomm for
their patents. Tim Cook complained that Qualcomm
wanted a profit-percentage fee:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...isn-t-to-apple

(Qualcomm took it to court and a settlement
was reached but not made public.)

Yet Apple demands big settlements from Samsung,
based on mickey mouse patents, while using Samsung
parts. Which is not to say that Samsung is an angel.
Just that Apple is the only company with an irrational
fanbase who think Apple is an angel.... A patent-troll
angel exploiting 3rd-world slave labor and refusing to
pay corporate taxes, but somehow an angel,
nevertheless.

There was a funny, famous story about this in the
early days. Steve Jobs had a tantrum at Bill Gates,
claiming Gates had stolen Apple's GUI idea, despite
the fact that Gates was actually in accord with an
agreement they'd made. Gates pointed out that
they'd both actually stolen the idea from Xerox:

http://fortune.com/2011/10/24/when-s...duction-visit/

The difference was that Gates knew that while Jobs
lived in a fantasy of grandeur, thinking he was the
enlightenment of the modern world because he made
the prettiest toys.

Old May 29th 17, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

And my two new Dell UP2516Ds have Adobe RGB, sRGB, REC709 and DCI-P3.
They also have two additional profiles which I can calibrate. None of
that proves any particular profile to be that of the future.

only because dell is a follower, so they need to guess as to where the
industry is going.

So does Apple.

apple is in no way a follower. they lead the industry and everyone else
copies what they do, sometimes rather blatantly.

And please don't claim that their use of DCI-P3 makes
them a leader:

i didn't say *that* made them a leader.

that spec was not created by Apple.

irrelevant.

Then how, in the context of DCI-P3, can Apple be said to be not a
follower?

because they're the only company to deploy it on almost every product.
Old May 29th 17, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| Then how, in the context of DCI-P3, can Apple be said to be not a
| follower?

Apple doesn't follow.

true.

They patent.

so what? lots of companies as well as individuals patent stuff. nothing
wrong with that.

Samsung came
out with a full-face screen. Apple patented it.

nonsense, nor is that even patentable just by itself.

But
we can't entirely blame Apple. There's got to be
some kind of corruption at the patent office that
allows companies to obtain and enforce ridiculous
patents, time and again.

it's not corruption, it's incompetence.

the patent office issues patents for things that shouldn't be
patentable.

however, that's an entirely different issue and has nothing to do with
apple.

Though Apple are brazen
and seem to fully believe what nospam does --
that they're unmitigated creative geniuses. Just
recently they simply refused to pay Qualcomm for
their patents.

for very good reason too.

you clearly don't understand what's going on with qualcomm. they are
very well hated in the industry, and justifiably so.

Tim Cook complained that Qualcomm
wanted a profit-percentage fee:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/artic...able-to-qualco
mm-isn-t-to-apple

nope.

what qualcomm wants is a percentage of the price of the *entire*
*product*, not just the parts from qualcomm.

in other words, if the user chooses an iphone with more memory, thereby
increasing the price they pay, qualcomm wants a higher royalty payment,
even though the additional memory has nothing to do with qualcomm.

put simply: qualcomm wants a percentage of stuff that isn't from
qualcomm.

consider this: a company licenses a gps chip for an in-car navigation
system to both porsche and honda. should that company get 10x royalty
for the porsche, for the very same part, because the porsche costs 10x
as much as the honda?

that's clearly bull****.

qualcomm is also trying to extort patent licensing fees for frand
patents.

qualcomm is almost certainly going to lose.

a summary:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/business/apple-vs-qualcomm-news/

and a legal analysis:
http://www.fosspatents.com/2017/05/qualcomm-requests-us-preliminary.htm

(Qualcomm took it to court and a settlement
was reached but not made public.)

absolutely wrong. the battle has just begun and is getting worse.

Yet Apple demands big settlements from Samsung,
based on mickey mouse patents, while using Samsung
parts. Which is not to say that Samsung is an angel.

so why don't you rant about samsung?

note that samsung didn't pay *their* patent royalty payments to
microsoft. as expected, you let it slide.

also, samsung smart tvs spy on people, samsung spoofed benchmarks,
samsung copied a vacuum cleaner company (and many others), and how can
anyone ignore that their ceo went to jail.

not a peep from you about any of that.

https://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/0...pay-microsoft-
or-else-software-giant-sues-samsung/
Samsung was late in making*a patent royalty payment to Microsoft over
the Android phones it sells, and today that led to the predictable
result: a lawsuit.
Microsoft has hundreds of patents that it says must be paid for by
anyone who makes Android phones. It's kept those patents secret,
although recently a Chinese government website revealed*what those
patents are.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31296188
Samsung is warning customers about discussing personal information in
front of their smart television set.
The warning applies to TV viewers who control their Samsung Smart TV
using its voice activation feature.
When the feature is active, such TV sets "listen" to what is said and
may share what they hear with Samsung or third parties, it said.

http://boingboing.net/2015/10/02/dieselgate-for-tvs-samsung-ac.html
The European Commission is probing whether Samsung televisions'
sensed when they were being tested for energy efficiency and changed
their power consumption to get better ratings than they deserved.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...cuses-samsung-
vacuum-cleaner-rip-off
Dyson is suing Samsung Electronics over claims that the South Korean
company "ripped off" its vacuum cleaner technology.
The British engineering company, which also pioneered "blade" hand
dryers, has accused Samsung of copying its technology in the steering
system on its latest vacuum cleaner.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-so...sung-group-idU
SKBN15V2RD
Samsung Group chief Jay Y. Lee was arrested on Friday over his
alleged role in a corruption scandal rocking the highest levels of
power in South Korea, dealing a fresh blow to the technology giant
and standard-bearer for Asia's fourth-largest economy.

Just that Apple is the only company with an irrational
fanbase who think Apple is an angel.... A patent-troll
angel exploiting 3rd-world slave labor and refusing to
pay corporate taxes, but somehow an angel,
nevertheless.

nonsense.

that same 'slave labor' made your computers, clothes and most other
stuff you own.

except that apple is doing more to address that problem than any other
company.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/samsung-in...hild-labor-abu
se-at-chinese-factory
In a scathing undercover report issued last night, activist group
China Labor Watch detailed a litany of alleged abuses, including
employing workers as young as 14, at Samsung supplier HEG's factory
complex in mainland China.
Overall, CLW concluded that "working conditions at HEG are well below
those general conditions in Applešs supplier factories." It looks
like Samsung could have a controversy brewing.

apple does not refuse to pay corporate taxes. if you're referring to
the legal loopholes that lots of companies use, you would need to also
call out microsoft, google, facebook and dozens of other companies. but
you won't.

There was a funny, famous story about this in the
early days. Steve Jobs had a tantrum at Bill Gates,
claiming Gates had stolen Apple's GUI idea, despite
the fact that Gates was actually in accord with an
agreement they'd made. Gates pointed out that
they'd both actually stolen the idea from Xerox:

apple didn't steal anything from xerox.

http://fortune.com/2011/10/24/when-s...of-weird-seduc
tion-visit/

The difference was that Gates knew that while Jobs
lived in a fantasy of grandeur, thinking he was the
enlightenment of the modern world because he made
the prettiest toys.

the difference is that you can't see beyond your hate and ignorance.
Old May 29th 17, 04:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"nospam" wrote

| what qualcomm wants is a percentage of the price of the *entire*
| *product*, not just the parts from qualcomm.

| that's clearly bull****.

http://patentlyo.com/patent/2016/08/...v-samsung.html

"Apple has filed its merits brief defending the longstanding
principle of profit-disgorgement as a remedy for design
patent infringement. [AppleResponse]
The statute states that an adjudged infringer "shall be liable
to the owner to the extent of his total profit."

Bull****, indeed.

Samsung using rounded corners? Then all of their
profit should go to Apple. I'm surprised that a man
of the world such as yourself isn't familiar with that
particular debacle.

| (Qualcomm took it to court and a settlement
| was reached but not made public.)
|
| absolutely wrong. the battle has just begun and is getting worse.

Sorry, yes, you may be right. I think I'm
remembering the Nokia case.

| Yet Apple demands big settlements from Samsung,
| based on mickey mouse patents, while using Samsung
| parts. Which is not to say that Samsung is an angel.
|
| so why don't you rant about samsung?

I'm happy to. I see a number of nasty, patent
trolling tech companies that are all trying to own
the whole shebang. You see the same thing,
except that you exempt Apple.

This is always the response from
Apple cultists: Why don't you pick on other
companies? I often criticize Google, Facebook,
Microsoft. Lots of people criticize them. I
wouldn't buy a Google product any more than
I'd buy an Apple product. You just don't notice.
Because you're an Apple cultist.

I don't know much about Samsung. (Aside
from the fact that they've provided much of
Apple's hardware in the past.)
Though I do have a faulty BlueRay player from
Samsung. I used to look for their brand name. Now,
not so much. Their BlueRay player regularly pops
up a big, blocking panel about 20 minutes into
non-BlueRay DVD movies from the library of Netflix.
A company called Cinavia, which has faulty DRM
embedded into the Samsung player, tells me I
don't have a right to view the DVD. Maddening.
So I'm loathe to buy another Samsung product.

Then again, Sony is famous for their nasty
malware. LG makes spyware TVs and I once
got a faulty CD drive from them. (How can they
screw up a CD drive?) So, who you gonna trust?
I used to like Panasonic. I don't know if they're
even still around. The only brand I'm certain I'll
never buy is Apple. (Well, and Amazon. Like
Walmart, I prefer not to do any business at all
with them. I don't want to support their
corporate business model.)

In terms of cellphones, I don't really think of
Samsung as a company. It's the two mega-sleaze
entities -- Google and Apple. Just as a Windows
computer is mostly about Microsoft rather than
Dell or HP, an Android phone is mainly a Google
product in terms of usage.

| also, samsung smart tvs spy on people

And LG and Vizio. And Comcast has filed for
patents on it. Nasty stuff. But I don't see how
that exonerates Tim Cook and his band of
price gouging, tax evading, lock-in practicing
patent trolls.

| Microsoft has hundreds of patents that it says must be paid for by
| anyone who makes Android phones.

Last I heard it was only 6. But you're right.
Microsoft is making *in the billions* annually
by strongarming Android device makers. It's
outrageous. I don't understand why they all
buckled.

So, with all this you're trying to say it's
proof that Apple are the good guys? Cultist
logic. Kill the messenger and blame everyone
else: "So what if Jim Jones killed all those people.
Stalin did much worse." Well, yes. You'd be
technically right in saying that... except for
the "so what" part and the gross irrelevance
of the argument.

Old May 29th 17, 05:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| what qualcomm wants is a percentage of the price of the *entire*
| *product*, not just the parts from qualcomm.

| that's clearly bull****.

http://patentlyo.com/patent/2016/08/...v-samsung.html

"Apple has filed its merits brief defending the longstanding
principle of profit-disgorgement as a remedy for design
patent infringement. [AppleResponse]
The statute states that an adjudged infringer "shall be liable
to the owner to the extent of his total profit."

that's about samsung, not qualcomm.

try to restrict your babbling to one case at a time.

Bull****, indeed.

yep.

Samsung using rounded corners? Then all of their
profit should go to Apple. I'm surprised that a man
of the world such as yourself isn't familiar with that
particular debacle.

i'm *very* familiar with the apple v. samsung lawsuit.

there's *much* more to it than rounded corners.

samsung openly *admits* they copied apple. they didn't have much
choice, really, as their own internal documents explicitly said to copy
what apple is doing.

the issue is how large of a fine samsung should pay.

during the original trial, the judge held up an iphone and a samsung
phone and samsung's own counsel could not tell which was which. that's
bad.

one would think that samsung's own lawyers, of all people, would be
able to immediately point out the differences. after all, that's why
they were in court, trying to argue that it *wasn't* a direct copy.

one of many reasons why samsung lost.

and it ain't just apple that samsung copies either. i linked about
dyson, but here's another, although older:
http://www.dailymobile.net/2009/01/0...vs-samsung-inn
ov8-2/

and another:
http://fortune.com/2016/05/24/chinas...in-patent-show
down/
(Reuters) - Huawei said on Wednesday it has filed lawsuits against
Samsung claiming infringement of smartphone patents, in the first
such case by the Chinese firm against the world's biggest mobile
maker.
Huawei has filed lawsuits in the United States and China seeking
compensation for what it said was unlicensed use of fourth-generation
(4G) cellular communications technology, operating systems and user
interface software in Samsung phones.

| Yet Apple demands big settlements from Samsung,
| based on mickey mouse patents, while using Samsung
| parts. Which is not to say that Samsung is an angel.
|
| so why don't you rant about samsung?

I'm happy to. I see a number of nasty, patent
trolling tech companies that are all trying to own
the whole shebang. You see the same thing,
except that you exempt Apple.

i don't exempt anyone.

compared to you, who focuses on anti-apple propaganda and universal
hatred.

keep in mind that apple gets sued more than they sue others. the patent
trolls go after companies like apple because they have lots of cash.

This is always the response from
Apple cultists: Why don't you pick on other
companies? I often criticize Google, Facebook,
Microsoft. Lots of people criticize them. I
wouldn't buy a Google product any more than
I'd buy an Apple product.

google doesn't sell a whole lot of stuff, so there's not really much to
buy.

with google, *you* are the product.

You just don't notice.
Because you're an Apple cultist.

ad hominem.

I don't know much about Samsung. (Aside
from the fact that they've provided much of
Apple's hardware in the past.)

samsung provides some components to apple, such as memory (commodity
product) and the fabrication of apple-designed parts.

apple is moving away from using samsung, such as tsmc, for chip fab.
Old May 29th 17, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"nospam" wrote

| http://patentlyo.com/patent/2016/08/...v-samsung.html
|
| "Apple has filed its merits brief defending the longstanding
| principle of profit-disgorgement as a remedy for design
| patent infringement. [AppleResponse]
| The statute states that an adjudged infringer "shall be liable
| to the owner to the extent of his total profit."
|
| that's about samsung, not qualcomm.

No, you didn't read it fully. It's about Apple trying
to get all Samsung profits, rather than just what
might be calculated to be the profit derived from
Samsung's alleged infringement of Apple's alleged
unique idea. Exactly what you were complaining
about from Qualcomm.

Old May 29th 17, 06:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| http://patentlyo.com/patent/2016/08/...v-samsung.html
|
| "Apple has filed its merits brief defending the longstanding
| principle of profit-disgorgement as a remedy for design
| patent infringement. [AppleResponse]
| The statute states that an adjudged infringer "shall be liable
| to the owner to the extent of his total profit."
|
| that's about samsung, not qualcomm.

No, you didn't read it fully. It's about Apple trying
to get all Samsung profits, rather than just what
might be calculated to be the profit derived from
Samsung's alleged infringement of Apple's alleged
unique idea.

apple is not trying to get all of samsung's profits.

Exactly what you were complaining
about from Qualcomm.

nope to that too.
Old May 29th 17, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| http://patentlyo.com/patent/2016/08/...v-samsung.html
|
| "Apple has filed its merits brief defending the longstanding
| principle of profit-disgorgement as a remedy for design
| patent infringement. [AppleResponse]
| The statute states that an adjudged infringer "shall be liable
| to the owner to the extent of his total profit."
|
| that's about samsung, not qualcomm.

No, you didn't read it fully. It's about Apple trying
to get all Samsung profits, rather than just what
might be calculated to be the profit derived from
Samsung's alleged infringement of Apple's alleged
unique idea.

[---]

The Samsung Tab2, i have one was offered to the general public way
before the iPhone 6.

Samsung Tab2 2012:

http://www.clove.co.uk/samsung-galaxy-tab-2-101

iPhone 6 2014: