What's the problem?

Old May 4th 17, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gray_Wolf

Default What's the problem?

On 5/4/2017 12:23 PM, Savageduck wrote:
[snip]
Pro-Master is a brand sold by a consortium of camera stores. Every product is
re-branded. They sold a lot of rebranded lenses over the years,
consumer-level ones. But there were a few good ones that they sold such as
the Tokina 12-24mm AT-X lens.

...and we don't have any idea of the read/write speed of the Pro-Master CF card.

...and there are always opinions:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3268372

Here's a neat little app for checking HD speed, SD cards and even CDROMs.
Detects errors and can run continuous and generate a log file. It helped me
solve some intermittent HD problems

http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=20

Old May 4th 17, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , gray_wolf
wrote:

Pro-Master is a brand sold by a consortium of camera stores. Every
product is
re-branded. They sold a lot of rebranded lenses over the years,
consumer-level ones. But there were a few good ones that they sold such as
the Tokina 12-24mm AT-X lens.

...and we don't have any idea of the read/write speed of the Pro-Master CF
card.

...and there are always opinions:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3268372

Here's a neat little app for checking HD speed, SD cards and even CDROMs.

cdroms are read-only and dependent on the speed of the *drive* not the
disc.

Detects errors and can run continuous and generate a log file. It helped me
solve some intermittent HD problems

http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=20

that's a bad idea for a memory card.
Old May 5th 17, 03:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
nospam wrote:

90% of 'genuine' chargers are actually fake. not an acceptable risk.

Fake Chargers upset you? Here's a fake Ferrari! $63 million!!

http://www.cnbc.com/2014/07/31/a-63-...ake-expert-say
s.html
--
teleportation kills
Old May 5th 17, 07:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 04/05/2017 17:24, Tony Cooper wrote:
[]
I download after every shoot and format the card in-camera.

After formatting the card, check it in h2testw:

https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539

There is an English menu.

The re-format in camera.
--
Cheers,
David
Old May 5th 17, 07:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
David Taylor wrote:

On 04/05/2017 17:24, Tony Cooper wrote:
[]
I download after every shoot and format the card in-camera.

After formatting the card, check it in h2testw:

https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539

There is an English menu.

The re-format in camera.

I discovered a fake card with that one. Only happened me once but it was
annoying...
--
teleportation kills
Old May 6th 17, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2017-05-04 16:24:13 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Thu, 4 May 2017 09:09:26 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-05-04 15:56:57 +0000, Tony Cooper
said:

This photo was taken last night on my Nikon D300 using Ch continuous.
Captured on a compact flash card.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv51k2snum...03-40.dng?dl=0

Just one of the sequence, and just one of all exposures, has this
problem. Same thing happened before shooting another game.

No loss to me as it wasn't an image I'd use, and other captures are
fine.

I'm wondering, though, if the problem is a compact flash card about to
go or a in-camera problem.

What is the CF card rating, and brand?

How many shots are in each of the sequences with a corrupt file, and
how many in clean sequences?

How old is the CF file?

Where in the sequence is the corrupted file; start, middle, or end?

I suspect that buffer isn't clearing and writing to the CF card fast
enough. It could be the card, it could be the buffer, but my money is
on the card. I would conduct an experiment to see if the problem is
repeatable. Shoot several 2-3 second Ch bursts or until the buffer
stalls, and check.

I would be most suspicious of the CF card and the time might have come
to retire it.

Probably the card. It's a 8gb Pro-Master card. The local camera
store sells this brand. I've had it for two years, but the problem is
very recent.

I have not heard of Pro-Master.

According to a long time photo dealer I know, who sells a lot of
Pro-master items, Pro-Master is a brand name for a slew of no-name
products, many of which are of uncertain quality.

He stocks the line to sell to people who want cheap, and have little
concern for quality.
Surprised that RichA didn't chime in an say that.

As to the problem being recent, is it limited to Ch shooting?

I've got a 2gb SanDisk Extreme III card that I'll switch to after
baseball season. Only one more game in the season.

You need to buy a couple of new CF cards. Go to Amazon and order either
a SanDisk or Lexar CF card with at least a 160 MB/s write speed. Even
that SanDisk Extreme III card is old and with read/write speed of 20MB/s
is probably not fast enough to clear the buffer efficiently.

I'm a low volume shooter normally, and even in baseball I seldom shoot
over 150 (RAW) frames. That's the only time I shoot Ch continuous or
Cl continuous.

Just buy at least one faster card now.

I download after every shoot and format the card in-camera.

OK! However, that is not the cause, or a solution for your problem.

--
PeterN
Old May 6th 17, 01:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2017-05-04 15:56:57 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

[...]

Seems to be. I think the previous incident was in a burst sequence,
but I'm not sure. I deleted it.

When shooting baseball, I set the camera to Ch for all shots, and
quite often shoot multiple frames where I'd really need a single
frame. Just the finger a bit too long on the button.

I'll start shooting a sequence when I think the ball is nearing the
player and hope to get the ball in the frame in the air or in the
glove. Usually a 5 or 6 frame burst.

https://photos.smugmug.com/2017-Base...4-12-35-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/2017-Base...5-01-62-XL.jpg

I've got a 2gb SanDisk Extreme III card that I'll switch to after
baseball season. Only one more game in the season.

You need to buy a couple of new CF cards. Go to Amazon and order either
a SanDisk or Lexar CF card with at least a 160 MB/s write speed. Even
that SanDisk Extreme III card is old and with read/write speed of
20MB/s is probably not fast enough to clear the buffer efficiently.

I suppose I should, but the need for burst shooting is about over.

I'm a low volume shooter normally, and even in baseball I seldom shoot
over 150 (RAW) frames. That's the only time I shoot Ch continuous or
Cl continuous.

Just buy at least one faster card now.

I download after every shoot and format the card in-camera.

OK! However, that is not the cause, or a solution for your problem.

I understand that. I pointed that out because I thought someone was
going to bring up the smaller capacity 2gb card I'm going to switch
to. As a low volume shooter, 2gb is quite adequate even though I
shoot RAW. I've never come close to filling any card.

It's getting to the point where I have to buy a least a 16gb card to
get faster write speed. It doesn't hurt to have a larger capacity,
but it isn't something I need.

The Duck gave you a correct answer. About capacity, I recently grabbed a
1 gig for my D800, and it worked fine.

--
PeterN
Old May 6th 17, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 2017-05-04 15:56:57 +0000, Tony Cooper
said:

[...]

Well, it was the first CF card I bought. When my D300 came, it didn't
have a card and I wanted to try the camera right away. The Pro-Master
was the only CF card the store sold with as little as 8 gb. That was
what? Three years ago?

I ordered a second CF card later, but have used the Pro-Master and the
San Disk since swapping them out between shoots.

Any problems with my images seem to be operator-error until just
recently.

I can't complain.

Good. I have some Pro-Master folding sunshades, and they are fine. In an
emergency, I bought a Pro-Master battery charger, and it did not fully
charge my batteries. But then, the batteries are 2,900 Miah and could
only be charged to about 1,800, which was sufficient for that trip..

--
PeterN
Old May 8th 17, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 5/4/2017 10:49 PM, android wrote:
In article ,
nospam wrote:

90% of 'genuine' chargers are actually fake. not an acceptable risk.

Fake Chargers upset you? Here's a fake Ferrari! $63 million!!

http://www.cnbc.com/2014/07/31/a-63-...ake-expert-say
s.html

That's why I only buy Lamborghinis.

Old May 8th 17, 08:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

nospam wrote:

90% of 'genuine' chargers are actually fake. not an acceptable risk.

Fake Chargers upset you? Here's a fake Ferrari! $63 million!!

http://www.cnbc.com/2014/07/31/a-63-...ake-expert-say
s.html

That's why I only buy Lamborghinis.

Lamborghini, the low slung Italian tractor, owned by VW, and managed by
the Audi division. You should stick to the other upscale VW, Bugatti.
That is truly exotic and in limited production.

Ferrari (not to be confused with the F1 team Scuderia Ferrari) is after
all a FIAT/Chrysler (FCA) product.

However, if you care to be in the realm more exotic and exclusive then
you should get on the waiting list for a Koeningsegg, McLaren, or
Pagani.

Savageduck