What's the problem?

Old May 4th 17, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default What's the problem?

On 2017-05-04 15:56:57 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

This photo was taken last night on my Nikon D300 using Ch continuous.
Captured on a compact flash card.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv51k2snum...03-40.dng?dl=0

Just one of the sequence, and just one of all exposures, has this
problem. Same thing happened before shooting another game.

No loss to me as it wasn't an image I'd use, and other captures are
fine.

I'm wondering, though, if the problem is a compact flash card about to
go or a in-camera problem.

What is the CF card rating, and brand?

How many shots are in each of the sequences with a corrupt file, and
how many in clean sequences?

How old is the CF file?

Where in the sequence is the corrupted file; start, middle, or end?

I suspect that buffer isn't clearing and writing to the CF card fast
enough. It could be the card, it could be the buffer, but my money is
on the card. I would conduct an experiment to see if the problem is
repeatable. Shoot several 2-3 second Ch bursts or until the buffer
stalls, and check.

I would be most suspicious of the CF card and the time might have come
to retire it.

Savageduck

Old May 4th 17, 05:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-04 15:56:57 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

This photo was taken last night on my Nikon D300 using Ch continuous.
Captured on a compact flash card.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv51k2snum...03-40.dng?dl=0

Just one of the sequence, and just one of all exposures, has this
problem. Same thing happened before shooting another game.

No loss to me as it wasn't an image I'd use, and other captures are
fine.

I'm wondering, though, if the problem is a compact flash card about to
go or a in-camera problem.

What is the CF card rating, and brand?

How many shots are in each of the sequences with a corrupt file, and
how many in clean sequences?

How old is the CF file?

....er, how old is the CF card?

Old May 4th 17, 05:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Probably the card. It's a 8gb Pro-Master card. The local camera
store sells this brand. I've had it for two years, but the problem is
very recent.

toss it.

I've got a 2gb SanDisk Extreme III card that I'll switch to after
baseball season. Only one more game in the season.

stick with quality name brand cards purchased from reliable sources
(e.g., b&h). if you buy from amazon, you could get a counterfeit.

I'm a low volume shooter normally, and even in baseball I seldom shoot
over 150 (RAW) frames. That's the only time I shoot Ch continuous or
Cl continuous.

that could be what's triggering it. the card can't handle it. or just
that the card failed.

I download after every shoot and format the card in-camera.

that makes no difference.
Old May 4th 17, 05:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-04 16:24:13 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Thu, 4 May 2017 09:09:26 -0700, Savageduck

On 2017-05-04 15:56:57 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

[...]

I have not heard of Pro-Master.

As to the problem being recent, is it limited to Ch shooting?

I've got a 2gb SanDisk Extreme III card that I'll switch to after
baseball season. Only one more game in the season.

You need to buy a couple of new CF cards. Go to Amazon and order either
a SanDisk or Lexar CF card with at least a 160 MB/s write speed. Even
that SanDisk Extreme III card is old and with read/write speed of
20MB/s is probably not fast enough to clear the buffer efficiently.

I'm a low volume shooter normally, and even in baseball I seldom shoot
over 150 (RAW) frames. That's the only time I shoot Ch continuous or
Cl continuous.

Just buy at least one faster card now.

I download after every shoot and format the card in-camera.

OK! However, that is not the cause, or a solution for your problem.

Savageduck

Old May 4th 17, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-04 15:56:57 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

[...]

That SanDisk Extreme III was new in 2004.

Old May 4th 17, 05:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS[_2_]

On 2017-05-04 15:56:57 +0000, Tony Cooper
said:

[...]

Pro-Master is a brand sold by a consortium of camera stores. Every
product is re-branded. They sold a lot of rebranded lenses over the
years, consumer-level ones. But there were a few good ones that they
sold such as the Tokina 12-24mm AT-X lens.

Old May 4th 17, 06:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

I've got a 2gb SanDisk Extreme III card that I'll switch to after
baseball season. Only one more game in the season.

You need to buy a couple of new CF cards. Go to Amazon and order either
a SanDisk or Lexar CF card with at least a 160 MB/s write speed. Even
that SanDisk Extreme III card is old and with read/write speed of
20MB/s is probably not fast enough to clear the buffer efficiently.

don't get them from amazon. the chance of getting a fake is high.

order from b&h, and it'll ship today if you do it in the next couple of
hours.
Old May 4th 17, 06:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-04 17:01:07 +0000, nospam said:

Savageduck wrote:

I've got a 2gb SanDisk Extreme III card that I'll switch to after
baseball season. Only one more game in the season.

You need to buy a couple of new CF cards. Go to Amazon and order either
a SanDisk or Lexar CF card with at least a 160 MB/s write speed. Even
that SanDisk Extreme III card is old and with read/write speed of
20MB/s is probably not fast enough to clear the buffer efficiently.

don't get them from amazon. the chance of getting a fake is high.

order from b&h, and it'll ship today if you do it in the next couple of
hours.

I usually buy from B&H or Adorama. I have bought SDHC cards from Amazon
in the past and all have been genuine SanDisk or Lexar.

Savageduck

Old May 4th 17, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-05-04 15:56:57 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

[...]

....and we don't have any idea of the read/write speed of the Pro-Master
CF card.

....and there are always opinions:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3268372

Old May 4th 17, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

You need to buy a couple of new CF cards. Go to Amazon and order either
a SanDisk or Lexar CF card with at least a 160 MB/s write speed. Even
that SanDisk Extreme III card is old and with read/write speed of
20MB/s is probably not fast enough to clear the buffer efficiently.

don't get them from amazon. the chance of getting a fake is high.

order from b&h, and it'll ship today if you do it in the next couple of
hours.

I usually buy from B&H or Adorama. I have bought SDHC cards from Amazon
in the past and all have been genuine SanDisk or Lexar.

with amazon, there's a rather significant risk it could be counterfeit,
despite amazon claiming they're cracking down on it.

fake memory cards are common (not just from amazon, ebay is another
source of fakes) and sandisk even has a webpage on how to check
(although a good faker could use that as a guide).

with b&h or adorama, the item won't be counterfeit unless *they* got
scammed didn't realize it. while not impossible, that's *very* unlikely
and if that did happen, sales would be halted the moment customers
noticed (a day at the most, probably just hours), so the window of
opportunity is rather small.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...many-genuine-a
pple-products-on-amazon-are-fake
San Francisco (AP) -- Apple says it has been buying Apple chargers
and cables labeled as genuine on Amazon.com and has found nearly 90
percent of them to be counterfeit.

90% of 'genuine' chargers are actually fake. not an acceptable risk.