Beseler 45 neg carriers questions

Old September 2nd 04, 11:58 AM
Stephan Goldstein

Default Beseler 45 neg carriers questions

I just got a nice used 45MXII (thanks Jim!) and now have some questions.

1. Does anyone have any direct experience comparing the 4x5 Negaflat
carrier vs. the 4x5 anti-Newton glass carrier? The Negaflat is a nice
idea, it holds the negative under tension...

2. There are a couple of glass carriers listed in the documentation that
came with this unit - 8346 for 6x6, 8347 for 6x9 - but the info is
not clear whether these are regular or anti-Newton. Neither of these
carriers are listed on the current Beseler catalog web page (dated
2000 or 2001 IIRC) so I guess they're discontinued. Does anyone
out there know which glass these have?

To reply by email you'll need to insert a 0 (that's the number zero)
between the d and the 1 of my posting address. Easier to reply to
the group, then others can learn as well.

Thanks.

Steve
Old September 2nd 04, 01:45 PM
LR Kalajainen

Stephan Goldstein wrote:

[...]

Can't tell you about the numbered negative carriers you mentioned, but
I've had the anti-Newton ring glass one for years and have never had a
problem with it. Because I print with a diffusion color head and use a
static brush on both the glass carrier and negative, I rarely get dust
spots and have never had newton rings.

Larry

Old September 2nd 04, 10:17 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Stephan Goldstein wrote (in part):

I just got a nice used 45MXII (thanks Jim!) and now have some questions.

1. Does anyone have any direct experience comparing the 4x5 Negaflat
carrier vs. the 4x5 anti-Newton glass carrier? The Negaflat is a nice
idea, it holds the negative under tension...

I have and use a 4x5 (only size made?) Negaflat. Also called "Negastretch"
and "Negascratch" by those who know. It does not stretch the negatives
noticeably, but keeps them tight, similar to a drumhead or a beadsheet on
a bed made by a U.S.Marine.

It does scratch the edges of the negatives along the 5" edges slightly for
a millimeter or two in from the edge of the film. I.e., it slightly
intrudes into the image area. I never compose that tight to the edges, but
if you have the affectation of printing the borders of the negatives onto
your prints, the scratches might show; I am not su the edges of the
holder might hide the scratches.

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 17:10:00 up 5 days, 2:25, 4 users, load average: 0.30, 0.15, 0.10