waterproof camera

Old May 29th 17, 12:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Nige Danton[_2_]

Default waterproof camera

Hi, I'm seeking recommendations for a waterproof camera. Waterproof for use
in a swimming pool, nothing deeper. I used to use a canon IXUS in a
waterproof case, but that camera died a while ago. I have a DSLR that I use
for regular photography. The Canon's results in the pool were ok, but I
recall that unless the photos were taken in bright sunlight and fairly near
the surface they were a bit underexposed. I've done some searching online
for a new camera but there seems to be a huge range of models with a wildly
different price range. So does anyone have recommendations? Budget less
important than a camera that does a decent job. Should I just get a
waterproof case for my DSLR (Nikon D7000)?

Thanks as always

--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l
Old May 29th 17, 12:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil[_9_]

On 5/29/2017 7:13 AM, Nige Danton wrote:
Hi, I'm seeking recommendations for a waterproof camera. Waterproof for use
in a swimming pool, nothing deeper. I used to use a canon IXUS in a
waterproof case, but that camera died a while ago. I have a DSLR that I use
for regular photography. The Canon's results in the pool were ok, but I
recall that unless the photos were taken in bright sunlight and fairly near
the surface they were a bit underexposed. I've done some searching online
for a new camera but there seems to be a huge range of models with a wildly
different price range. So does anyone have recommendations? Budget less
important than a camera that does a decent job. Should I just get a
waterproof case for my DSLR (Nikon D7000)?

Thanks as always

A lot depends on what you're planning to do with it besides get it wet.
I took my Olympus TG-4 to the Galapagos last year mainly because it was
durable and waterproof to 50 feet, so I had no worries about damaging it
when in the Zodiacs or climbing around wet volcanic rocks. 16mp, shoots
RAW, has several accessories, lenses, etc.

http://www.olympusimage.com.sg/product/compact/tg4/

The latest model is a TG-5, but I have no experience with that one.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old May 29th 17, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

Nige Danton Wrote:
Hi, I'm seeking recommendations for a waterproof camera.
Waterproof for use in a swimming pool, nothing deeper.

Shallow, clear, and basically freshwater. Got it.

I used to use a canon IXUS in a waterproof case, but that camera
died a while ago...The Canon's results in the pool were ok, but I
recall that unless the photos were taken in bright sunlight and fairly near
the surface they were a bit underexposed.

Sounds more like camera settings than water significantly attenuating , as
the latter results in more of a spectrum shift (and pools are all that deep to
cause all that much of a shift).

I've done some searching online for a new camera but there seems
to be a huge range of models with a wildly different price range.

Just wait until you start to price dSLR housings!

So does anyone have recommendations? Budget less
important than a camera that does a decent job.

Broadly, I'd say it comes down to the question of lighting, and if you
want it to be natural, or integral to the camera system, or if external
artificial lights are okay. If you want/need integral, then you're probably
starting to consider a housed dSLR so that you can have TTL as well as
an increased distance between light source and lens.

Before going that far, I'd recommending taking a look at the simple housings
for point-n-shoots; I know that Canon used to have a whole bunch on their website.
Similarly, there's a decent number of amphibians these days, and since you're not
using I it in sal****er, their seals should last a decent while (years) with minimal care.

Should I just get a waterproof case for my DSLR (Nikon D7000)?

If you need the strobes. Figure $2K for a pair, plus another $2K for an Ikelite housing
and one port ... and probably around another $1K in miscellaneous stuff. FYI, I'm not
up-to-date on the Nikon line, so if the D7000 is a couple of years old, I'd shop the used
housing market, or add a new body to my shopping list ...you don't really want to drop
$5K for a new housing system on an old camera.

Hope this helps,

-hh
Old May 29th 17, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
m-m

How about a GoPro?

It comes with a waterproof housing.

You can set it for stills or video.

Only problem is it's mostly wide angle.

In article
-september.

www.mhmyers.com
Old May 29th 17, 05:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , m-m
wrote:

How about a GoPro?

It comes with a waterproof housing.

You can set it for stills or video.

Only problem is it's mostly wide angle.

and that it's overpriced.
Old May 29th 17, 05:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

How about a GoPro?

It comes with a waterproof housing.

You can set it for stills or video.

Only problem is it's mostly wide angle.

and that it's overpriced.

Ah, but we know when something is claimed to be overpriced that we
must compare specifications. If GoPro was an Apple product, you'd
insist on this.

i'd insist on it no matter who made the product.

there are equivalent cameras to gopro for less money, with similar, if
not better specs.
Old May 29th 17, 06:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

How about a GoPro?

It comes with a waterproof housing.

You can set it for stills or video.

Only problem is it's mostly wide angle.

and that it's overpriced.

Ah, but we know when something is claimed to be overpriced that we
must compare specifications. If GoPro was an Apple product, you'd
insist on this.

i'd insist on it no matter who made the product.

there are equivalent cameras to gopro for less money, with similar, if
not better specs.

Your head would explode if any had the temerity to say "it's
overpriced" about an Apple product.

apple products are not overpriced.

the prices are comparable, if not *less* than similar spec products.
Old May 29th 17, 07:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

How about a GoPro?

It comes with a waterproof housing.

You can set it for stills or video.

Only problem is it's mostly wide angle.

and that it's overpriced.

Ah, but we know when something is claimed to be overpriced that we
must compare specifications. If GoPro was an Apple product, you'd
insist on this.

i'd insist on it no matter who made the product.

there are equivalent cameras to gopro for less money, with similar, if
not better specs.

Your head would explode if any had the temerity to say "it's
overpriced" about an Apple product.

apple products are not overpriced.

New iPhones are probably the most overpriced products on the market
today with the possible exception of the Koenigsegg CCXTR Trevita.

either you're an idiot or you're just trolling.

the samsung galaxy s8 and note 7 (before it was recalled) cost about
the same, if not more than a comparable iphone 7.
Old May 29th 17, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Monday, May 29, 2017 at 12:01:05 PM UTC-4, m-m wrote:
How about a GoPro?

It comes with a waterproof housing.

You can set it for stills or video.

I've had GoPro users tell me that the quality of its stills are
pretty underwhelming.

I have a JVC 1080p (with UW housing) that came out just
a year or so before the GoPro's did ... and yes, it takes nice
HD videos but only so-so stills. Put up against any of my
still centric UW cameras, the difference is quite noticeable.

Only problem is it's mostly wide angle.

Not necessarily a major problem in of itself, particularly since
WA often means an easy depth-of-field to work with, and with
UW lighting, one tends to want to be closer to the subject anyway.

-hh
Old May 29th 17, 08:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
m-m

In article , -hh
wrote:

I've had GoPro users tell me that the quality of its stills are
pretty underwhelming.

Don't think so.
Here's one example from a shaky drone:
http://mhmyers.com/new/IMG_5716.JPG