Depth of field - two of them?

Old January 16th 19, 01:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

Default Depth of field - two of them?

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 00:27:07 -0000, Jeff wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in
news
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctqungbvve...field.jpg?dl=0
This is a snapshot of Startrek The Next Generation, Season 6, Episode
26. It appears to have two planes of focus, one centred on the right eye
of the man in the foreground, and one on the right side of the chest of
the man in the background. Two cameras with superimposing? Or some
effect put in afterwards?

Going by the still and not seeing the video I would assume the Borg is a
chromakeyed background since the lighting is quite different on them.

Are you sure? What makes you say the lighting is different?
Old January 16th 19, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 11:24:42 -0000, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 16 January 2019 00:27:10 UTC, Jeff wrote:
"Commander Kinsey" wrote in
news
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctqungbvve...field.jpg?dl=0
This is a snapshot of Startrek The Next Generation, Season 6, Episode
26. It appears to have two planes of focus, one centred on the right eye
of the man in the foreground, and one on the right side of the chest of
the man in the background. Two cameras with superimposing? Or some
effect put in afterwards?

Going by the still and not seeing the video I would assume the Borg is a
chromakeyed background

No the Borg are a cybernetic organism that assimilates other lifeforms and technologies into their own collective consciousness.

Resistance is futile. :-)

Well to some extent anyway.

I doubt they can manipulate the focussing of themselves.
Old January 17th 19, 09:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 22:27:28 +0000, Andy Blanchard
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 00:50:09 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

Cool! Especially this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheim...odel_train.jpg
I'm surprised this isn't used more often.

It's used more often that you might think, and you'll find examples of
both tilt (tipping the lens up or down) and swing (turning it left or
right) as with the train or ST:TNG still if you know what to look for.
Tilt is often used for purely creative effects or extreme depth of field
for long-distance shots, swing is mostly used for keeping two characters
(or whatever) in sharp focus like this is really the only usage I've
noticed for swing. Swing is a pretty good solution for scenarios where
the director wants a deep depth of field but lighting conditions mean
high ISOs and/or wide apertures.

The limiting factor is more the camera used and what mount options are
available as realistically, you need Canon EF or Nikon F mount, although
there are a few other options for TS-E/PC lenses. Now that DSLR lenses
are being used more for broadcast video the options for tilt/shift
lenses have gone up and I expect to see much more usage.

In the days of plate and cut-film cameras, most such cameras had the
ability to employ a number of such adjustments. Only the more
expensive 'technical' cameras offered the full range. See for example
https://s23527.pcdn.co/wp-content/up...pg.optimal.jpg
or http://tinyurl.com/y72s28qo

Eric Stevens
Old January 17th 19, 01:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

wrote:

[...]

I remember them, when we had a proper photographer at the research labs.

How much for a full plate sensor though!
Old January 17th 19, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

wrote:

[...]

I don't know about full plate, but how about this?
http://largesense.com/files/1514/9071/3222/Banner1e.jpg

Eric Stevens
Old January 18th 19, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

wrote:

[...]

7.5MP? Not particularly good, or am I missing something?
Old January 18th 19, 01:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in
news
On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 00:27:07 -0000, Jeff wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in
news
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctqungbvve...field.jpg?dl=0
This is a snapshot of Startrek The Next Generation, Season 6, Episode
26. It appears to have two planes of focus, one centred on the right eye
of the man in the foreground, and one on the right side of the chest of
the man in the background. Two cameras with superimposing? Or some
effect put in afterwards?

Going by the still and not seeing the video I would assume the Borg is a
chromakeyed background since the lighting is quite different on them.

Are you sure? What makes you say the lighting is different?

Data more directly lighted mainly from the left, Borg diffused slightly
biased from the right.
Like I said this is just from the still. I don't know if the video would show
them interacting in a way that showed they were being filmed at the same
time.
Old January 18th 19, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Commander Kinsey

On Fri, 18 Jan 2019 00:30:03 -0000, Jeff wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in
news
On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 00:27:07 -0000, Jeff wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in
news
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctqungbvve...field.jpg?dl=0
This is a snapshot of Startrek The Next Generation, Season 6, Episode
26. It appears to have two planes of focus, one centred on the right eye
of the man in the foreground, and one on the right side of the chest of
the man in the background. Two cameras with superimposing? Or some
effect put in afterwards?

Going by the still and not seeing the video I would assume the Borg is a
chromakeyed background since the lighting is quite different on them.

Are you sure? What makes you say the lighting is different?

Data more directly lighted mainly from the left, Borg diffused slightly
biased from the right.

Good point, I hadn't noticed that. But there are several lights in the room.

Like I said this is just from the still. I don't know if the video would show
them interacting in a way that showed they were being filmed at the same
time.

They were interacting. Whether they were filmed simultaneously I can't tell.
Old January 18th 19, 04:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 17, 2019, Commander Kinsey wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 00:50:09 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

Cool! Especially this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheim.../File:Tilt-len
s_photo_of_model_train.jpg
[...]

https://s23527.pcdn.co/wp-content/up...hnical_large_f
ormat-1.jpg.optimal.jpg
or http://tinyurl.com/y72s28qo

I remember them, when we had a proper photographer at the research labs.

How much for a full plate sensor though!

I don't know about full plate, but how about this?
http://largesense.com/files/1514/9071/3222/Banner1e.jpg

7.5MP? Not particularly good, or am I missing something?

Yup, you are missing something. That is 75-micron pixel size, not 75MP.
However, the actual photo resolution is 12 MP @ 3888 x 3072, and it is B&W
only, and you will get images that only a large area sensor can produce.
....and it only costs $106,000 without a lens.

http://largesense.com/gallery/

http://largesense.com/products/8x10-large-format-digital-back-ls911/

https://youtu.be/CgpioaDb3Fs

Savageduck

Old January 18th 19, 11:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

Ha! :-) I hope you have found it worthwhile coming to this group!

--
David B.