urgent opinion needed digital lens with film camera

Old May 9th 08, 07:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nicholas

Default urgent opinion needed digital lens with film camera

Going to a dusty place on holiday in the morning. Don't want to change lens
on my D80 whilst out there. Recovered my Nikon F60 from the attic and are
thinking of using that with the SIGMA 12-24mmD DG HSM.

What are the likely results going to be?

Old May 9th 08, 07:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

"nicholas" wrote:
[Subject: digital lens]

There ain't no such thing as a digital lens. All lenses are purely
optical, no 'digital' involved in the processing of the image at all.

Going to a dusty place on holiday in the morning. Don't want to change lens
on my D80 whilst out there. Recovered my Nikon F60 from the attic and are
thinking of using that with the SIGMA 12-24mmD DG HSM.

Is this a full frame or a reduced image circle lens?

What are the likely results going to be?

If it is a full frame lens then you shouldn't have any problems.

If it is a reduced image circle lens then you will probably have at
least some vignetting at at least some focal lengths.

jue
Old May 9th 08, 08:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nicholas

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
"nicholas" wrote:

There ain't no such thing as a digital lens. All lenses are purely
optical, no 'digital' involved in the processing of the image at all.

Going to a dusty place on holiday in the morning. Don't want to change
lens
on my D80 whilst out there. Recovered my Nikon F60 from the attic and are
thinking of using that with the SIGMA 12-24mmD DG HSM.

Is this a full frame or a reduced image circle lens?

What are the likely results going to be?

If it is a full frame lens then you shouldn't have any problems.

If it is a reduced image circle lens then you will probably have at
least some vignetting at at least some focal lengths.

jue

Hi,not sure about the meaning of image circle lens/full frame lens, however,
the lens is described as being suitable for a full frame camera.

Old May 9th 08, 10:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alex Monro

nicholas wrote:

Hi,not sure about the meaning of image circle lens/full frame lens,
however, the lens is described as being suitable for a full frame
camera.

Yes, the DG part of the lens designation is Sigma's notation for a lens
having full 24x36mm frame coverage, together with improved coatings to
reduce flare and ghosting when used with digital sensors.

It should work fine with your F60.
--
Alex Monro
Exeter, UK
Old May 9th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
XxYyZz

"nicholas" wrote in message
Going to a dusty place on holiday in the morning. Don't want to change lens
on my D80 whilst out there. Recovered my Nikon F60 from the attic and are
thinking of using that with the SIGMA 12-24mmD DG HSM.

What are the likely results going to be?

I'm surprised that you don't know the answer to that already! To quote you
from another post: "I am 63+ and have spent my entire LIFE in photography at
all levels of the practice. My little finger contains more knowledge about
photography than Coe has in his entire body."

Old May 9th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 5/9/08 2:16 PM, in article ,
"Yoshi" wrote:

"George Kerby" wrote in message

The word "Sigma" equates with fecal matter.

And you claim 63+ years of expertise?

No, I think the description "fecal matter" more aptly describes your reply.

Well, you *are* the scat expert.

Old May 10th 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

XxYyZz wrote:

"nicholas" wrote in message
Going to a dusty place on holiday in the morning. Don't want to change lens
on my D80 whilst out there. Recovered my Nikon F60 from the attic and are
thinking of using that with the SIGMA 12-24mmD DG HSM.

What are the likely results going to be?

I'm surprised that you don't know the answer to that already! To quote you
from another post: "I am 63+ and have spent my entire LIFE in photography at
all levels of the practice. My little finger contains more knowledge about
photography than Coe has in his entire body."

Hello, XxYyZz:

Nope, you're mistaken, as "nicholas" and Nicholas
aren't the same person.

(Please, see my earlier reply to George Kerby ,
for further info.)

Cordially,
John Turco
Old May 11th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

"Yoshi" wrote:

"George Kerby" wrote in message

The word "Sigma" equates with fecal matter.

And you claim 63+ years of expertise?

No, I think the description "fecal matter" more aptly describes your
reply.

Well, you *are* the scat expert.

You introduced the subject. You are obviously fanscinated by it. Now shut
up before I have you removed from usenet.

Whoa. I must have struck a nerve with Smegma-Boy! OK, Yoda, blow hard now...