Your opinion -Canon 18-55 f3.5 -5.6 kit lens owners

Old December 18th 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
asdf3b

Default Your opinion -Canon 18-55 f3.5 -5.6 kit lens owners

Greetings! Does any one have any opinion on this kit lens? With thanks.
Old December 18th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dwight

"asdf3b" wrote in message
Greetings! Does any one have any opinion on this kit lens? With thanks.

Personally, I think it's a good general-purpose lens. I'll take it, if I can
only take one lens (usually for convenience). But it doesn't spend a lot of
time on my camera. For the most part, I've got the 50mm f/1.8 on board.

Still, as I've read here many times before, I rarely have the lens I need at
the time I need it. But the kit lens covers a lot of ground. It's not great,
but good.

dwight

Old December 18th 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article
,
asdf3b wrote:

Greetings! Does any one have any opinion on this kit lens? With thanks.

Everybody bitches about it, but the images I've seen aren't bad. No,
it's not "L" glass, but it's certainly usable.
Old December 18th 07, 06:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

asdf3b wrote:
Greetings! Does any one have any opinion on this kit lens? With thanks.

Like the others have said, it's a perfectly usable lens. It's basically
about a $100 lens, and as long as you don't expect more than that from
it, you won't be disappointed.
Old December 18th 07, 07:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

asdf3b wrote:
Greetings! Does any one have any opinion on this kit lens? With thanks.

It sux -- much worse than the Nikon and Pentax equivalents --
but Canon owners will tell you it's acceptable.
Old December 18th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
dwight

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message
asdf3b wrote:
Greetings! Does any one have any opinion on this kit lens? With thanks.

It sux -- much worse than the Nikon and Pentax equivalents --
but Canon owners will tell you it's acceptable.

Ah, see now, if I owned all three - as you do - then I would be able to
compare Canon to Nikon to Pentax. But that wasn't the question, was it?

dwight

Old December 18th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

Joseph Meehan wrote:
. ..
asdf3b wrote:
Greetings! Does any one have any opinion on this kit lens? With thanks.

It sux -- much worse than the Nikon and Pentax equivalents --
but Canon owners will tell you it's acceptable.

Ah, see now, if I owned all three - as you do - then I would be able
to compare Canon to Nikon to Pentax. But that wasn't the question, was
it?

dwight

I don't know Bill, but I find that most people who make those
comments related to this lens, have not really looked at results. I
suspect some have not even looked at the lens.

Let me repeat. I don't know Bill, nor do I know how he reached his
opinion.

No Joe, you don't know Bill. But you and I and no doubt everyone else
knows someone like Bill. Prior to your post I was going to ask if Bill
actually owned the lens.
Dave Cohen
Old December 18th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
BD

On Dec 17, 7:05 pm, asdf3b wrote:
Greetings! Does any one have any opinion on this kit lens? With thanks.

The results for this lens varied for me, with focal length and
aperture - image imperfections are more visible with the lens at the
shortest focal length (18mm) and at its wider aperture setting.

The most apparent imperfection, IMO, is the amount of chromatic
aberration around the edges. It can be corrected to a degree in post,
but I'd certainly say it's the weakest lens that they manufacture.

Very useable, very portable, very handy - just don't expect perfection
in the output.

Old December 19th 07, 06:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Tuthill

Dave Cohen wrote

No Joe, you don't know Bill. But you and I and no doubt everyone else
knows someone like Bill. Prior to your post I was going to ask if Bill
actually owned the lens.

A friend took this lens (on a Rebel) down the Grand Canyon, and I was
shocked by its flare. Sharpness isn't bad, but the Canon G7 produces
better images over a wider zoom range. Consumer Reports rated this low.
The Nikon 18-55 is much better, according to them.
Old December 19th 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mr. Strat

In article , Bill Tuthill
wrote:

A friend took this lens (on a Rebel) down the Grand Canyon, and I was
shocked by its flare. Sharpness isn't bad, but the Canon G7 produces
better images over a wider zoom range. Consumer Reports rated this low.
The Nikon 18-55 is much better, according to them.

Consumer Reports doesn't know an F/stop from an F-sharp.