"Live View" is leading to the inevitable conclusion (that most won't like)

Old August 22nd 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
k-man

Default "Live View" is leading to the inevitable conclusion (that most won't like)

On Aug 20, 9:36 pm, RichA wrote:
Video on DSLRs.

Oh, I thought you were going to say that live view would cause
traditional viewfinders to go away (like with many P&S's). Those had
better not go away.

Kevin

Old August 22nd 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Aug 21, 7:34 pm, peter kelsey
wrote:
RichA wrote:
On Aug 21, 4:48 pm, "Pete D" wrote:

"RichA" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Aug 21, 9:12 am, Andrew Haley
wrote:

RichA wrote:

Video on DSLRs.

___________________________
/| /| | |
||__|| | Please don't |
/ O O\__ feed |
/ \ the trolls |

Don't forget "man will never fly."

Bad comparison, how about you compare it to personal jet packs, yes it can
be done but of limited use to most photogs.

Maybe not a bad comparison. There is a good chance this will end up
on entry level DSLRs in the near future. Jet packs "never took off."

And "video on DSLRs" (much like "front wheel drive") is a "solution
to a non-existent problem".

So was more megapixels than 6 in entry level cameras.

Old August 22nd 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Toby

"RichA" wrote in message
ups.com...
Video on DSLRs.

Yes and no. Good video sensors have different requirements than good still
sensors..

It might be coming, but not soon, at least not professional quality.

Toby

Old August 22nd 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
just bob

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

"peter kelsey" wrote:

And "video on DSLRs" (much like "front wheel drive") is a "solution
to a non-existent problem".

Video on dSLRs _may_ be a solution to the problem of how to sell more
dSLRs. Even if it's not even slightly interesting to people who buy D200s
and 5Ds, if you can sell more dSLRs to parents with young kids, they'll be
cheaper for the rest of us. Maybe.

One problem for event organizers would be how to prevent me from taking
video when I am only credentialed for still photos only. There are much more
restrictions on media shooting video at sports event than stills.

Old August 23rd 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

RichA wrote:
Video on DSLRs.

If that floats people's boats then it doesn't matter, does it?

By cropping the frame or undersampling (ganged up multiple RGB's to be
one video pixel) to whatever the HD dimensions are (1080 x whatever) it
could give people more use out of their expensive lenses.

PJ's will begin to catch film as well as stills.

Progress is never achieved by repeating the past.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 23rd 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Aug 22, 8:21 pm, Alan Browne
wrote:
RichA wrote:
Video on DSLRs.

If that floats people's boats then it doesn't matter, does it?

By cropping the frame or undersampling (ganged up multiple RGB's to be
one video pixel) to whatever the HD dimensions are (1080 x whatever) it
could give people more use out of their expensive lenses.

PJ's will begin to catch film as well as stills.

Progress is never achieved by repeating the past.

Now, imagine if you could set the frame rate, so you end up with say
1/500th sec exposures every 1/30th of a second...In news photography,
how long would stills last?

Old August 23rd 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
k-man

On Aug 22, 12:19 pm, wrote:
In article . com,
says...

On Aug 20, 9:36 pm, RichA wrote:
Video on DSLRs.

Oh, I thought you were going to say that live view would cause
traditional viewfinders to go away (like with many P&S's). Those had
better not go away.

It does seem likely that *optical* viewfinders will be going away,
replaced by electronic viewfinders. Not rear LCD panels, but electronic
viewfinders that replicate optical viewfinders. Resolution and speed
are improving rapidly for EFVs, and they have some definite advantages
in low light, since the viewfinder is as bright as the final exposure,
not as dim as the room. For critical focus, EVFs have the option of a
magnified display -- like the center loupe on my old Rollei, but
electronic instead of mechanical.

Resolution isn't there yet, but as rapidly as displays are improving, I
would expect EFV resolution to equal ground glass resolution very soon.

--
is Joshua Putnam
http://www.phred.org/~josh/

I could see that happening and I think it would be OK -- outside of
the extra power consumption and one more component to break! Movie
cameras have that -- although a lot of times the display is down a
tunnel. I just want to be able to continue sticking my eyeball right
up to a viewfinder. I feel more immersed and involved in the picture
that way. With a "live view" setup, like with P&S, it's harder, at
least for me, to "feel" the picture as I'm taking it. Sure, view cams
and such also have a "live view;" but those are different.

Kevin

Old August 23rd 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Dyer-Bennet

wrote in
.net:

Resolution isn't there yet, but as rapidly as displays are
improving, I would expect EFV resolution to equal ground glass
resolution very soon.

Notice the LCD on the new Nikon D3 and D300? 3 inches -- and a bit
over 900,000 pixels. BIG jump!

--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/dd-b
Pics: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum, http://dd-
Old August 24th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
[]
Notice the LCD on the new Nikon D3 and D300? 3 inches -- and a bit
over 900,000 pixels. BIG jump!

Yes, that's VGA resolution, which was a pleasure to use on the EVF on the
Minolta A2 from a few years ago. Same resolution as the Epson
P2000/3000/5000.

David