HP OJ d145 color ink out error replace color ink cartridge message

Old October 19th 06, 10:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,rec.photo.digital
Aluxe

Default HP OJ d145 color ink out error replace color ink cartridge message

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:17:52 GMT, Jette Goldie wrote:

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 05:44:56 GMT, Deborah Pace wrote:
Does anyone know what the HP OfficeJet D145 message means
"Color ink out. Replace color ink cartridge."

I'm really in a bind as the printer won't work.
I've tried two different color ink cartridges (all filled to the brim).
Doesn't ANYONE in HP land know what this Hewlett Packard office jet printer
error really indicates?

Deb

Do what I do when I get that hewlett packass color ink out message.
Actually, I always get black ink out but it's the same thing.
Just shut the hewlett packard office jet printer off.
Pull the power cord.
Let it sit a day or two.
Always in my case, the color ink out or black in out message is gone.
Until it reappears for no good reason a month, a week, a year later.
I have never figure out why that message comes up as I always keep the ink
sponges soaking wet with good quality ink (better than the crap hewlett
packard puts in as oem ink that's for sure!).
Old October 22nd 06, 04:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,rec.photo.digital
Aluxe

What I think happens, at least with my HP printer, is that you can only
TEMPORARILY turn off the color ink drop counting!

Someone at HP can tell us if this is true ... but what I think happens is
you turn off the color and black ink checking with the double-arrow 456 and
double-arrow 389 sequence ... BUT ... (and this is a big but) ...

What you think you turned off, secretly turns itself back on the very next
time you reboot your HP printer! Yup.

What seems to happen is:
- You turn off color and black ink checking
- You print a few pages and then at some point, power down the printer
- When you power the printer back up, the ink checking is back on
- But you don't know that (how can you tell)
- So, even though you fill the cartridges to the brim
- The printer is counting drops and saying it's empty at some point
- Notice that if HP REALLY wanted to tell how much ink was there
- They'd use a more reliable and cheaper method (of which there are many)

Point is, the system is rigged so that you have to turn off the ink drop
checking EVERY SINGLE TIME you turn the HP printer on.

If you ask me, HP printers aren't worth the hassle!
Old October 22nd 06, 04:56 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,rec.photo.digital
Bob Headrick

"Aluxe" wrote in message

What seems to happen is:
- You turn off color and black ink checking
- You print a few pages and then at some point, power down the printer
- When you power the printer back up, the ink checking is back on
- But you don't know that (how can you tell)
- So, even though you fill the cartridges to the brim
- The printer is counting drops and saying it's empty at some point
- Notice that if HP REALLY wanted to tell how much ink was there
- They'd use a more reliable and cheaper method (of which there are
many)

I would love to hear about a "more reliable and cheaper method" of
detecting the amount of ink remaining.... I suspect you do not have a
clue about how these things work, or why the printer should/would care
about remaining ink.

- Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old October 22nd 06, 08:13 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,rec.photo.digital
Tony

Aluxe wrote:
[...]

The printer is simply protecting the printhead (your printhead). If ink is not
supplied to the printhead then it will fail, this is true of all inkjet
printheads regardless of who the manufacturer is. This printer uses separate
printheads and ink containers, if it used combined heads and ink containers
then this would not be an issue.
It seems to me that you are making a slightly paranoid assumption. HP does not,
to my knowledge, build trickery into their printers.
Tony
Old October 22nd 06, 04:24 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,rec.photo.digital
Ben Myers

It all depends on what one means by the word "trickery." Just like the
meaning of the words "is" and "sex". Is it trickery to design inkjet printers
with small cartridges that need regular and expensive replacement? Is it
trickery to embed circuits in the cartridges to prevent refilling?

.... Ben Myers

Old October 22nd 06, 09:13 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,rec.photo.digital
Aluxe

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 02:13:28 -0500, Tony wrote:
The printer is simply protecting the printhead (your printhead).
This printer uses separate printheads and ink containers
If ink is not supplied to the printhead then it will fai
HP does not ... build trickery into their printers.

Hi Tony,
But, do you have an answer to the OP's question?
Seems to me I'm the only one who answered the original question.
If you have a better answer ... you should tell us what the message "Color
Ink Out" or "Black Ink Out" means because it certainly doesn't mean the ink
is out!

Note: I'll kindly respond to your "other" issues separately.
Old October 22nd 06, 09:23 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,rec.photo.digital
Aluxe

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 20:56:37 -0700, Bob Headrick wrote:
I suspect you do not have a clue about how these things work,
or why the printer should/would care about remaining ink.

Hi Bob Headrick,

I can see from the google record you are very experienced, albeit not in
this class of printers, so I take any response from you with much gravity.

However, even though you DO know what you are doing (and you know it well),
I still didn't see an answer to the original OP's question other than mine.

Seems to me, even though my knowledge obviously pales in comparison to that
of those others who posted replies, I seem to be the only one who came up
with an hypothesis as to why a "Color Ink Out" or "Black Ink Out" message
would be trying to tell us (bearing in mind there is no way it's actually
indicating how much ink is in the ink containers!).

If you, or anyone else, has a better hypothesis as to what this "Color Ink
Out" or "Black Ink Out" error is indicating, that would be useful.
Old October 22nd 06, 09:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,rec.photo.digital
Aluxe

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 20:56:37 -0700, Bob Headrick wrote:
What seems to happen is:
- You turn off color and black ink checking
- You print a few pages and then at some point, power down the printer
- When you power the printer back up, the ink checking is back on

Hi Bob Headrick,

I'm sorry for interjecting emotion into my previous helpful reply to the
poster and to you. Keeping back on technical topic, is there any way for
you to find out if my hypothesis is true?

1. Does the (456, or 789) turning off the ink drop counting on the
hpojd145 only work until the next power-on cycle?

2. How can a user tell for sure when the hpojd145 ink-drop counting is on
or off?
Old October 23rd 06, 05:38 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,rec.photo.digital
Tony

Aluxe wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 02:13:28 -0500, Tony wrote:
The printer is simply protecting the printhead (your printhead).
This printer uses separate printheads and ink containers
If ink is not supplied to the printhead then it will fai
HP does not ... build trickery into their printers.

Hi Tony,
But, do you have an answer to the OP's question?
Seems to me I'm the only one who answered the original question.
If you have a better answer ... you should tell us what the message "Color
Ink Out" or "Black Ink Out" means because it certainly doesn't mean the ink
is out!

Note: I'll kindly respond to your "other" issues separately.

I think your hypothesis is not founded in fact. If the printer reports ink out
or ink low it is quite simply because it believes that to be the case. If
cartridges have been refilled then there may well be a disconnect between the
actual levels of ink remaining and the printers ink usage tally. I am not
opposed to refilling but it is clear that the mechanisms that are used by some
printers to determine remaining ink is not compatible with refilling, this may
or may not be by design but I do not see why any manufacturer should change
their designs simply to assist people who want to refill. Having said that I do
not believe they should make it too difficult either, as in all things there is
a balance to be had.
This printer uses separate printheads and ink containers, it is of paramount
importance that the printer ensures that ink is available to the head in order
to avoid head damage. If the printer believes that ink is not available it will
attempt to protect the head, as indeed it should. I see no more complexity than
this in this issue.
Tony
Old October 23rd 06, 05:59 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,rec.photo.digital
Tony

I agree, it does depend on what is meant by trickery.
Providing small cartridges is something that I find annoying but I wouldn't
call it trickery since the detail is readily available from a variety of
sources.
Deliberately designing a printer and/or cartridges to thwart fair competition
gets close to my definition of trickery.
Trickery, in my opinion, is designing a printer that will not perform as
promised and a refusal to put it right. I have rarely heard of a case where HP
are guilty of this but I can provide a few examples where I think other
manufacturers are indeed guilty of this.
Tony