"Ideal" Camera/computer bag for travelling

Old April 26th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default "Ideal" Camera/computer bag for travelling

I am looking for a camera bag for travelling that has the following
characteristics:

1) room for dslr with 2-3 lenses, extra battery, flash, charger,
computer/video cables and various sundries (perhaps a monopod)
2) room for laptop with charger and sundries
3) room for various other electronic needs (conversion plugs,small
digital p+s)
4) detachable beltpack for camera stuff
5) laptop in separatable pack that could be repurposed as a daypack

I have seen various packs from Tamrac, Lowepro and others (Roots used
to have one that is no longer available?) that handle the computer/dslr
combo and a few (Lowepro,Crumpler) that have the detachable camera
beltpack and separate pack (not large enough for a laptop from what I
can tell?).

Is there anything out there that satisfies all my needs?

Old April 26th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Brian Sullivan wrote
(in article
. com):

I am looking for a camera bag for travelling that has the following
characteristics:

1) room for dslr with 2-3 lenses, extra battery, flash, charger,
computer/video cables and various sundries (perhaps a monopod)
2) room for laptop with charger and sundries
3) room for various other electronic needs (conversion plugs,small
digital p+s)
4) detachable beltpack for camera stuff
5) laptop in separatable pack that could be repurposed as a daypack

I have seen various packs from Tamrac, Lowepro and others (Roots used
to have one that is no longer available?) that handle the computer/dslr
combo and a few (Lowepro,Crumpler) that have the detachable camera
beltpack and separate pack (not large enough for a laptop from what I
can tell?).

Is there anything out there that satisfies all my needs?

Perhaps, but they vary based upon the size of those loosely
described "2-3 lenses". The part about detaching the laptop
into a separate pack though I'm not sure I've seen anywhere.

You might start by taking a look at the various "CompuTracker"
packs from LowePro. Here's a good place to look at them:

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Back...tebook_camera/

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

Old April 26th 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Perhaps, but they vary based upon the size of those loosely described "2-3 lenses".

They would be smallish -- I have a Nikon D50 with a kit lens and low
end 70-300 currently and am looking at a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8. I would like
to have a 18-200 VR but probably that is not in the budget right now.
Regardless though I would expect the whole kit would be easily carried
in a beltpack type.

Old April 26th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Brian Sullivan" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Look he www.kgear.com. They have everything you mentioned but a complete
setup like you mention will be some what pricey. This page will show you
how it all works: http://www.kgear.com/p/P450.html.

The nice thing is you can put all the parts together ala cart so you can get
only what you need. Plus it's very modular so you can take only what you
need. If you go this route I'd suggest a couple of shoulder straps along
with a holster for you camera. This way you can slap on a couple of lens
cases and a shoulder strap and make a nice shoulder bag when needed.

I'm using their belt system (like it very much) and I'm seriously giving
consideration to adding a backpack. On day I hope to get back to some
serious hiking and I'll need it.

--

Rob
"A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"

Old April 29th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Brian Sullivan wrote:
Perhaps, but they vary based upon the size of those loosely described "2-3 lenses".

They would be smallish -- I have a Nikon D50 with a kit lens and low
end 70-300 currently and am looking at a 50mm 1.4 or 1.8. I would like
to have a 18-200 VR but probably that is not in the budget right now.
Regardless though I would expect the whole kit would be easily carried
in a beltpack type.

I was advised that Kinesis is "the way to go" for a beltpack and I now
am inclined to agree with that advice.

For 'small' lenses such as these, I have a Lowepro "Off Trail 2" that
might work for you. I picked it up last year only to find that it
didn't fit my 77mm diameter lenses at all. I've been meaning to ship
to to B&H to sell it as used equipment (even though its still NIB), but
if you think you might be interested, drop me a note offline.

In any event, if you're looking for a "backpack" for Laptop+SLR for
airline carry-on, you'll probably have some limitations with this also
being a beltpack type. It can be made to work if the beltpack can
easiliy be disassembled and split between the backpack and your
luggage. I'll see if I can get around to taking a photo of my setup
later this weekend.

-hh