"White box" lenses

Old May 13th 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Henry Olson

Default "White box" lenses

On Wed, 12 May 2010 19:57:22 +0000 (UTC), Ray
wrote:

B&H lists some lenses available in a white-box version at a significant
cost saving -- $30 for the lens I was looking at. They have a note
that says

"White Box merchandise comes supplied in a plain white box, instead of
the manufacturer's colorful packaging. It is not a returned or
refurbished item. It still includes all the manufacturer's
accessories."

Does this mean the lens and warranty are exactly the same as the non-
white-box version? Or do manufacturers reserve their not-quite-rejects
for white-box status? $30 seems like a lot to save by getting a plain
box.

This may be the future of internet marketing for many. I am finding this
more and more with ebay dealers. You can buy a nice digital-caliper with a
cheap plastic case in the original printed box for $39 from a dealer. Or
you can buy the digital-calipers (identical item) from the same dealer sent
in a bubble-pack mailer with just the instruction sheet included for $5.
That is not the only example (one of thousands), but you get the idea. I
value function more than form. I'll buy the ones in bubble-pack mailers
with just the instruction sheet included. The packaging is just waste in
time, effort, shipping costs, and will eventually be thrown out anyway.

Having said that, I would never buy anything from B&H anymore. They have
destroyed any good reputation they once had. Search the net, you'll
probably find the same item far less expensive in the original packaging
from a reputable dealer, if pretty packages are what you desire.

Old May 13th 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray[_5_]

"Peter" wrote:

Check with B&H directly about the warranty and any other questions
you may have. Here you may expect to get a lot of BS.

I always expect that on Usenet. But I will check with B&H for
clarification on the warranty.

--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)
Old May 13th 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ray[_5_]

"No spam please" wrote:

Good afternoon Ray.

I've bought a "white box" lens from a retailer (here in the UK)
that I know well and can trust.

My lens was split from a body-plus-lens kit. It came with the
manufacturer's warranty and instructions. The actual white box and
packing was similar to the manufacturer's own, colourful, box for
the lens.

I found two benefits in buying a white box lens:

1. It was originally sold with a body and was cheaper than the
same lens sold separately (that is, not as a part of a kit).

2. At the time I bought the lens it was not in stock as a
"separate" lens.

Hope this is of some help. I'd happily buy another "white box"
lens to save money - so long as I could trust the retailer and the
lens came with the warranty and instructions.

Being split from a kit makes perfect sense for the white box; I should
have thought of that. Thanks.
--
Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)