Iford/Agfa/paradigm shift

Old August 30th 04, 11:01 PM
Argon3

Default Iford/Agfa/paradigm shift

With all of the scary news about the possibility of the demise of the silver
halide divisions of Agfa and Ilford, one must consider what might happen in the
future.

There are several smaller concerns that produce film and paper...I'm sure that
there is some possible overlap in my listing them: Maco, Efke,
Bergger...perhaps the decline of the "big guys" will see them rise to the
occaision and become more viable sources for those of us who are still using
conventional materials. If they've got the goods, then they become the source
and the business that would have gone to Ilford and Agfa will **** to
them...increased revenue, they increase their volume of production and add to
their product line, we still have a source for the materials necessary to
continue our work.

Both Konica and Fuji have been known to produce the odd black and white
products now and again...perhaps they will see the potential void in the market
and shift some of their priorities in order to capitalize on the Agfa/Ilford
pull-out.

In short, don't hit the panic button....things may change, prices may go up
(bet on that!) but materials will still be around. What may be a small
fraction of Ilford or Agfa's business may be a doubling or tripling of demand
for one of the currently smaller companies...perhaps it's time to start
shifting our attention over to alternative suppliers so that the transition
will be smooth when the time arrives.

Someday we may be sitting around coating our own plates like our photographic
ancestors did...are we committed and informed enough to be able to cope?

To paraphrase Charlton Heston: "They'll get my light meter when they pry it
from my cold, dead hand!"

argon
Old August 31st 04, 03:05 AM
Shelley

To paraphrase Charlton Heston: "They'll get my light meter when they pry
it
from my cold, dead hand!"

To paraphrase Charlton Heston: "If my only source of film is an outfit in
Croatia with all of its quality control problems, nobody will have to pry my
light meter from my cold, dead hand, I'll happily give 'em the damn thing
and stick with my Nikon D100."
..

Old August 31st 04, 03:14 AM
jjs

"Shelley" wrote in message

To paraphrase Charlton Heston: "If my only source of film is an outfit in
Croatia with all of its quality control problems, nobody will have to pry
my
light meter from my cold, dead hand, I'll happily give 'em the damn thing
and stick with my Nikon D100."

You don't know anything about QC in Croatia. Show me. Just friggin SHOW ME
evidence!

Old August 31st 04, 03:25 AM
Udie Lafing

If photo dies with the many assholes that seem to sometimes promulgate
it to be life it self I shall drop my camera, and pick up my paint brush
never to return.

There are many things better than photo, zushi, beer and naked women.
Not always in that order.

--
?
?

Old August 31st 04, 03:29 AM
Udie Lafing

"jjs" wrote:

"Shelley" wrote in message

To paraphrase Charlton Heston: "If my only source of film is an outfit in
Croatia with all of its quality control problems, nobody will have to pry
my
light meter from my cold, dead hand, I'll happily give 'em the damn thing
and stick with my Nikon D100."

You don't know anything about QC in Croatia. Show me. Just friggin SHOW ME
evidence!

Well there are those notch codes that were not stamped. And the Fb+plus
fog that exceeded .20
--
?
?
Old August 31st 04, 03:38 AM
jjs

"Udie Lafing" wrote in message

Well there are those notch codes that were not stamped. And the Fb+plus
fog that exceeded .20

How distressing. I've not had such bad luck. Are you sure the fog wasn't a
problem caused by yourself? Seriously, I do not want to believe that Efke
has such problems. Talk to us some more.