"Healing Brush" and Capture NX

Old April 11th 08, 11:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
N[_5_]

Default "Healing Brush" and Capture NX

"Mike -- Email Ignored" wrote in message
In Photoshop, I often use the "Healing Brush Tool" to
make small alterations. It is excellent at "copying"
the neighboring texture into an area, with a near
seamless border. Is there anything like it in
Capture NX?

Mike.

Have you read through the book that came with the software?

Old April 11th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mathias Bauer

frederick wrote :

I'll wager you that a combination of NX (Auto CA correction) and PTLens
does a better job than DxO - and with far less user input. I'm saying
that without even trying DxO myself, and I could be wrong, but I fancy
my chances there quite highly

This is exactly what I observed. The CA correction of NX is superior to
the one of DxO - this can be seen easily by a quick comparison in 100%
view. Images automatically processed by DxO sometimes look a bit more
"crisp", but IMHO DxO just does just some more "normal" sharpening
(unsharp masking or the like) and bumps up the local contrast (for me
too much). As a side effect the noise is increased a bit. This is
visible especially in low ISO images.

The distortion correction of DxO is slightly better than in PTLens but
without a direct comparison of the images this is discernible only in
very critical cases.

DxO has a huge potential - it might become a great RAW converter in the
future. But many things in DxO are not "done" yet.

It would be great to have PTLens plugged into Capture NX - or have
automatic distortion correction in Capture NX also.

Ciao,
Mathias
Old April 11th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike -- Email Ignored

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 20:38:20 +1000, N wrote:

"Mike -- Email Ignored" wrote in message
In Photoshop, I often use the "Healing Brush Tool" to make small
alterations. It is excellent at "copying" the neighboring texture into
an area, with a near seamless border. Is there anything like it in
Capture NX?

Mike.

Have you read through the book that came with the software?

I got the software with my D3. There was no book for the software.
I looked at the help and didn't see anything relevant.

Mike.
Old April 11th 08, 02:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
adm

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 20:38:20 +1000, N wrote:

"Mike -- Email Ignored" wrote in message
In Photoshop, I often use the "Healing Brush Tool" to make small
alterations. It is excellent at "copying" the neighboring texture into
an area, with a near seamless border. Is there anything like it in
Capture NX?

Mike.

Have you read through the book that came with the software?

I got the software with my D3. There was no book for the software.
I looked at the help and didn't see anything relevant.

Mike.

There's a good eBook available on Capture NX:
http://www.luminescentphoto.com/capturenx.html

Like you, I got my copy with my camera (D300) and there was no printed
manual. I bet that there's a .pdf copy on the CD though.....although I can't
be bothered digging it out to look.

Old April 11th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mike -- Email Ignored

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:09:25 +0100, adm wrote:

[...]

There's a good eBook available on Capture NX:
http://www.luminescentphoto.com/capturenx.html

Like you, I got my copy with my camera (D300) and there was no printed
manual. I bet that there's a .pdf copy on the CD though.....although I
can't be bothered digging it out to look.

No pdf in any place anyone is likely to look; I'll look at the e-book.
Mike.