Possible to extract high resolution b/w from a raw file?

Old May 16th 11, 09:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Possible to extract high resolution b/w from a raw file?

In article , Mxsmanic
wrote:

the industry is moving to mobile devices, namely tablets.

I'm not sure who "the industry" is, but I'm still surrounded by desktops.

then you need to get out more.

there can be a dramatic difference, depending on the app.

That is true even among apps for the same platform.

that contradicts your earlier statement that there's more software on
windows, which would mean there is a reason to run windows apps on a
mac.

No. You run Windows apps on Windows. Running them on a Mac makes no sense.

actually it makes a lot of sense.

tell that to those who buy macs *just* for final cut pro, aperture, or
many other apps on the mac that are *not* available on windows.

There are only a handful of end users doing this. They are a minority even
among Mac users.

*far* more than a handful.

some people even buy a mac to run windows, not os x, because they like
the hardware better.

It's the same hardware.

no it is definitely not.

growth leads to dominance and your numbers make no sense. apple's
revenue last quarter was $24.67 billion (with a b) and net profits of
$5.99 billion. microsoft's revenue was $16.43 billion with $5.23 net
income. for a company that has such a tiny market share, they're raking
in the cash.

They aren't raking it in from sales of desktops, where they have a tiny market
share.

they're raking it in from a variety of things, including desktops,
laptops and mobile devices. read their financial reports.

wait for what?

The future evolution of the market.

that's vague and meaningless.
Old May 16th 11, 10:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 16 May 2011 07:25:19 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Eric Stevens writes:

Nevertheless they paid the inventor for the rights to utilize the
patent. Without them the inventor would be trampled penniless into the
ground by those who would steal his ideas.

Once the patent is sold, the inventor makes nothing.

He can only sell it once.

What happened to "goodbye," by the way?

That discussion is dead.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old May 16th 11, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Mxsmanic wrote:
nospam writes:

there very definitely was, which is why microsoft got sued for abuse of
monopoly and lost.

A lot of companies get sued for a lot of things,

for example Microsoft got sued for software piracy. Got
convicted, too. It was a clear case.

and they may win or lose, and
whether they win or lose may have no relation to reality.

And you may even be right, but that would be stretching
things.

-Wolfgang
Old May 16th 11, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Mxsmanic wrote:
tony cooper writes:

There were many software developers who were much more generous and
sharing of their product's innards. I can't bring any to mind because
their companies are not in existence anymore. I'm sure those people
are happy with new occupations.

It's hard to pay the rent by being generous and sharing.

Well, MS surely suffers because people write software for
Windows. Sometimes even very excellent software.

Microsoft didn't succeed because Gates was a shark. They succeed
because they created products that people wanted to buy. The
shark-like business practices just stopped the remoras from latching
on.

Every company does it.

Red Hat (and quite a lot of others). Some go as far as
giving away the source code and letting others use it, add
features and fixes and sell commercial support, bundling,
update services, etc. Of course, they cannot become
price-gouging monopolies like MS.

-Wolfgang
Old May 16th 11, 03:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Mxsmanic wrote:
nospam writes:

nope. on intel macs, windows is fully supported by apple via boot camp.
for older macs, apple had a port of linux for a while called mklinux.
third parties ported freebsd and others.

Can you buy a Mac with no OS, and then install the OS of your choice on the
machine?

I had to pay the Windows tax on a non-Microsoft system.
Do you have to pay the Mac tax on a non-Apple system?

-Wolfgang
Old May 16th 11, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Mxsmanic wrote:
Eric Stevens writes:

It's not at all like that. Its more like selling a suit and being
forced to sell a particular brand of shoes to go with it.

What percentage of customers complained about having PCs with Windows
preloaded on them?

About 95% of all Windows users complain about Windows.

Freely? From Bill Gates?

Yes. Write a check, get a copy of the OS. Anyone can buy it. You can install
it on any PC.

Sure. Any colour^WPC that's black^Wintel-compatible.

Kindly look at the list of system types Linux runs on.

-Wolfgang
Old May 16th 11, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Mxsmanic wrote:
Eric Stevens writes:

That's a bit like insisting that you buy a keyboard whether you want it or
not.

Sure, I'd *love* a keyboard with my burger and fries, thank you!

It reminds me of that decision against Microsoft that required that
manufacturers be allowed to sell systems without (I think) Internet Explorer.
Nobody actually wanted one.

So how comes so many people use Firefox instead of IE?

It would be commercial suicide to not have the commercially dominant
operating system available for sale.

It's the other way around: the operating system is commercially dominant
because it is freely available for sale.

Apple's systems are also freely available for sale. (By your
own definition: anyone can buy it.)

Linux is also freely available, for sale and for free, so by
your reasoning it should be even more dominant than Windows.

The problem was in those days
that MS would not sell you MS-DOS unless (a) you installed it in every
machine you made and (b) installed no other operating system.

I never heard users complain about it.

I never saw you. Thus you don't exist.

They can do what they like with the stuff that they make.

Unless their name is Microsoft, apparently.

Unless they are a monopoly or act illegal, yes.

-Wolfgang
Old May 16th 11, 03:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Mxsmanic wrote:
Eric Stevens writes:

That's a bit like insisting that you buy a keyboard whether you want it or
not.

Thank you, I have a *very* good keyboard that's worked 20 years
now. (And a couple more good keyboards.) I see no need to buy
a cheaply made one that'll be a pain to use in 6 months.

-Wolfgang
Old May 16th 11, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sun, 15 May 2011 17:03:18 -0700, nospam
wrote:

t3500), they only offer 1 of several versions of windows. i don't see a
'none' button, or even a linux button.

They are not in the kit business. They only sell complete and
functioning computers.

That sounds as if computer with Linux or *BSD were non-functioning.

Some might even say that computers with Windows are
non-functioning.

-Wolfgang
Old May 16th 11, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Mxsmanic wrote:
nospam writes:

totally wrong

Look at the source code.

URL?

so what? what matters is if it can run on the hardware the person has.

If it can run on any hardware, then it will always run on whatever hardware
the person has.

I happen to have an XO. Will Windows run on it?

nothing is perfect, stuff *does* go wrong.

I've never needed support on a Microsoft OS.

I've never needed seatbelts either.
Nor support for Linux.

-Wolfgang