Dear Sony...specks of dirt INSIDE my Sony Alpha lens!

Old December 18th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Dear Sony...specks of dirt INSIDE my Sony Alpha lens!

I just noticed them - this is a supposedly new lens! I can see them through the
objective, they are stuck on the next element... (18-200)

This is the SECOND Sony lens, the first one was defective and the focus motor
jammed... so I won't return it... who knows what will be screwed up next time!

I'm sure they don't affect the pictures, since they aren't on the focus plane
and are too small to affect light, but... maybe Sony should apply their
dust-shaker to the lens as well... or the craniums of their management...

No more Sony products!

( I just discovered there is no firewire cable in the box with my new Sony DV
camcorder... it is a $125 option!!! A 4-wire 6 foot cable!!! The dam camera was
only $400 !!!!!!! )

bye bye Sony... you're not only thieves, you are incompetent...

I guess I'll look at the Canons coming next year... February I think...

BTW Did you know Sony buys TV technology from Samsung?
Old December 18th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Geir Eivind Mork

skrev:

I just noticed them - this is a supposedly new lens! I can see them through the
objective, they are stuck on the next element... (18-200)
This is the SECOND Sony lens, the first one was defective and the focus motor
jammed... so I won't return it... who knows what will be screwed up next time!

For a lot of reasons there are manufactor errors in every consumer
product along the line. I've had cellphones that was a dud from the day
I got it to even lenses that didn't rotate. For the number of posts i've
read about the quality of the lenses I've not seen anything like this.
The lenses that didn't work where one non-usm canon lense that my sister
got on her rebel years ago and a minolta lense I got which looked like
had a fall in the store. I would assume there is a great deal of
possibility that the sony lense in question had suffer a fall somewhere
on the way to you thus jamming the lense elements.

I'm sure they don't affect the pictures, since they aren't on the focus plane
and are too small to affect light, but... maybe Sony should apply their
dust-shaker to the lens as well... or the craniums of their management...

You know you could spend that energy on returning it again. Third times
a charm. You're just an unlucky customer, just like I felt when I spent
three months sending my cellphone back and forth from the service shop
just because I waited 8 days and not 7 before returning it since it
never worked flawlessly. And 8 days mean it has to go to service three
times before I get a replacement.

No more Sony products!

Should I stop buying every product from a manufacturer that somewhere on
the way annoyed me I wouldn't be buying anything anymore. I once had a
sony recever that costed a fortune but had the reciving strength of a
cheap radio. But it lived up in other areas, the sound quality was
suberb when I got a bigger antenna. Much better than my old radio.

Just as a comparison. How many times have windows failed you? And still,
you probably use windows anyway, along with other microsoft products
like office. Or your car? I've got friends whos german cars keep failing
on them, and they still buy german cars. (I'm europeian by the way)

( I just discovered there is no firewire cable in the box with my new Sony DV
camcorder... it is a $125 option!!! A 4-wire 6 foot cable!!! The dam camera was
only $400 !!!!!!! )

Where on earth do you shop?
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...asterid=393123

lowest is $12.88. 1m variat but pricegrabber didn't have others.

bye bye Sony... you're not only thieves, you are incompetent...

That was quite a mature statement.

I guess I'll look at the Canons coming next year... February I think...

What if you get a faulty camera or lense from canon? It's just as likely
to happend?

BTW Did you know Sony buys TV technology from Samsung?

Did you know that Sony and Samsung has a joint venture on LCD
production? And Sony put quality issues first and foremost. Oh, in
contrast to your sidenote I actually include references:

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...+entertainment

Still a big world there out to find new things to hate. I have had bad
batchs of diet coke. Maybe I'll start to hate coca cola company cause
they might accidently slip a bad batch through. And sometimes the bread
I buys have slightly overbaked parts. Maybe I should start to hate the
city bakerys. Or I could be sensible and realize that the world isn't
perfect, sometimes a problem occurs. And if you're unlucky it happends
to you again. But that's why they have replacement policys.

No wonder why the hippies talked about peace out. People have too much
hate, and not to mention too much brand pride. I own Minolta equipment
and should reccomend Sony to everybody, but still I've reccomended
olympus, nikon and canon as well as sony to my friends. Just because not
everyone have the same needs or focus like I do.
Old December 18th 06, 06:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 04:45:07 +0100, Geir Eivind Mork
wrote:

skrev:

I just noticed them - this is a supposedly new lens! I can see them through the
objective, they are stuck on the next element... (18-200)
This is the SECOND Sony lens, the first one was defective and the focus motor
jammed... so I won't return it... who knows what will be screwed up next time!

For a lot of reasons there are manufactor errors in every consumer
product along the line. I've had cellphones that was a dud from the day
I got it to even lenses that didn't rotate.

cell phones cost $25.... not $500....

For the number of posts i've
read about the quality of the lenses I've not seen anything like this.
The lenses that didn't work where one non-usm canon lense that my sister
got on her rebel years ago and a minolta lense I got which looked like
had a fall in the store. I would assume there is a great deal of
possibility that the sony lense in question had suffer a fall somewhere
on the way to you thus jamming the lense elements.

What about the other lens with dirt inside??

I'm sure they don't affect the pictures, since they aren't on the focus plane
and are too small to affect light, but... maybe Sony should apply their
dust-shaker to the lens as well... or the craniums of their management...

You know you could spend that energy on returning it again. Third times
a charm.

stupid cliche...

You're just an unlucky customer, just like I felt when I spent
three months sending my cellphone back and forth from the service shop
just because I waited 8 days and not 7 before returning it since it
never worked flawlessly. And 8 days mean it has to go to service three
times before I get a replacement.

No more Sony products!

Should I stop buying every product from a manufacturer that somewhere on
the way annoyed me I wouldn't be buying anything anymore.

The more crap companies I put on my list, the better the quality of my purchases
become.

I once had a
sony recever that costed a fortune but had the reciving strength of a
cheap radio. But it lived up in other areas, the sound quality was
suberb when I got a bigger antenna. Much better than my old radio.

Just as a comparison. How many times have windows failed you? And still,
you probably use windows anyway, along with other microsoft products
like office.

There are no alternatives, except Linux, and I don't have time to learn it...
whereas all cameras are functionally the same...

Or your car? I've got friends whos german cars keep failing
on them, and they still buy german cars. (I'm europeian by the way)

I guess they're just stupid... I don't buy cars from the country I live in, I
buy cars that are reliable.

( I just discovered there is no firewire cable in the box with my new Sony DV
camcorder... it is a $125 option!!! A 4-wire 6 foot cable!!! The dam camera was
only $400 !!!!!!! )

Where on earth do you shop?

Sony... where the camera came from...

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser... =n32080n32081

see the I-link cable... $119 before 15% tax...

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...asterid=393123

lowest is $12.88. 1m variat but pricegrabber didn't have others.

bye bye Sony... you're not only thieves, you are incompetent...

That was quite a mature statement.

Thank you, it was a true statement as well.

I guess I'll look at the Canons coming next year... February I think...

What if you get a faulty camera or lense from canon? It's just as likely
to happend?

Don't think so, I never heard of Canon supplying 2 bad lens's in a row to one
customer. Have you? Well?

BTW Did you know Sony buys TV technology from Samsung?

Did you know that Sony and Samsung has a joint venture on LCD
production? And Sony put quality issues first and foremost. Oh, in
contrast to your sidenote I actually include references:

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbi...+entertainment

Still a big world there out to find new things to hate. I have had bad
batchs of diet coke. Maybe I'll start to hate coca cola company cause
they might accidently slip a bad batch through. And sometimes the bread
I buys have slightly overbaked parts. Maybe I should start to hate the
city bakerys. Or I could be sensible and realize that the world isn't
perfect, sometimes a problem occurs. And if you're unlucky it happends
to you again. But that's why they have replacement policys.

unlucky? another stupid cliche.... maybe you could write a book of fables... I
don't believe in luck... it has so basis in science.

No wonder why the hippies talked about peace out. People have too much
hate,

I don't hate Sony, I just dis-respect them. I don't even hate you!

and not to mention too much brand pride. I own Minolta equipment
and should reccomend Sony to everybody, but still I've reccomended
olympus, nikon and canon as well as sony to my friends. Just because not
everyone have the same needs or focus like I do.

I don't have brand pride... I own Canon, Minolta, Nikon, Sony, Samsung, Maymiya
Sekor and other cameras... I have cameras going back to the 40s, but I would
never trust a company that supplied TWO DEFECTIVE $500 LENSES and then asked for
$120 for (as you point out) a $20 cable!

Anyway, it's Xmas time which is supposed to be a time for peace, so peace to
you, and don't take my jumping up and down so seriously!

Bob
Old December 18th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bob

I have yet to see a lens that's totally dust speck free
Every single Nikon lens I have (12) has at least a speck of dust . every
single Pentax lens(6) I have has the odd speck of dust.
Do I lose sleep over it.. ...No. Do I shoot through loads of sky light
light filters -- No

I have shot through glass with a rub mark or the odd light scratch.. The
images are more than acceptable

If you have dust in your lens or the odd scratch please let me know I will
take them off your hands for a small fee. that way you can sleep

What you should be worried about is dust on the sensor

Old December 18th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

Lionel wrote:
On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:53:05 -0500, wrote:

I just noticed them - this is a supposedly new lens! I can see them through the
objective, they are stuck on the next element... (18-200)

This is the SECOND Sony lens, the first one was defective and the focus motor
jammed... so I won't return it... who knows what will be screwed up next time!

Don't get me started on Sony's (lack of) quality control & (poor)
construction. I've been burned by them on VCRs & laptops, & sure as
hell wouldn't anything as expensive as a DSLR from them. Pretty much
any of the other big name brands (except Sigma) would be a safer bet.

That's funny, because Sigma actually made many of the more reliable and
very expensive DSLRs for the other brands in the early days, and are the
only company in Japan hand-building DSLRs. Now they only build their own
(but don't tell any 4/3rds system owners where a lot of their camera
comes from, as well as their lens). Their own DSLR is extremely reliable
and consistent, free from back focus or front focus errors, because it's
not mass produced. It also tends to come with built-in sensor dust
because of the way it's assembled, but that is quite easily removed.

Sadly it's also seriously overpriced as a result.

David
Old December 18th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jon B

wrote:

( I just discovered there is no firewire cable in the box with my new Sony
DV camcorder... it is a $125 option!!! A 4-wire 6 foot cable!!! The dam
camera was only $400 !!!!!!! )

There never (or very rarely) is a firewire cable in the box, especially
not on the budget $400 camcorders, and normally the manufacturers own
cable cost's a small fortune. But of course any old 6-4pin wire is a few
$/£ from the local computer store.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
Old December 18th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

wrote:
[...]

Do you know why you might find dust inside? Because some of the
factories the Third World countries literally have no air conditioning
so they operate in a windows open
situation with the attendent dust and bugs coming right into the
production floors.
Where was the lens made, Thailand or China?

Old December 19th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:25:26 -0000, "bob" wrote:

I have yet to see a lens that's totally dust speck free
Every single Nikon lens I have (12) has at least a speck of dust . every
single Pentax lens(6) I have has the odd speck of dust.
Do I lose sleep over it.. ...No. Do I shoot through loads of sky light
light filters -- No

I have shot through glass with a rub mark or the odd light scratch.. The
images are more than acceptable

If you have dust in your lens or the odd scratch please let me know I will
take them off your hands for a small fee. that way you can sleep

What you should be worried about is dust on the sensor

Like I said, I don't worry about seeing the dust on the picture - I won't... but
it's just the principal of the thing... and these aren't just dust specs... they
are BIG! But what else could they have botched?

Old December 19th 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tom Ross

On 18 Dec 2006 10:03:33 -0800, "RichA" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Silly me, I thought it was a rebagged Minolta lens.

You seem to be implying the Sony 18-200mm is manufactured in an Third
World sweatshop that does not have air-conditioning and demonstrates a
complete lack of quality control? Do you know this for a fact? Or are
you, once again, just making it up.

TR

Sony Alpha bmoag Digital Photography 5 October 27th 06 06:57 AM
New Sony Alpha 10MP DSLR with K-M lens mount Tony Polson Digital SLR Cameras 16 June 3rd 06 05:28 AM
Dear Sony ... Alan Browne Digital SLR Cameras 5 March 17th 06 12:17 AM