Tiresomely. Windows might go the way of PS. The "rental economy" strikes again

Old August 14th 18, 09:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Tiresomely. Windows might go the way of PS. The "rental economy" strikes again

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61443795

Not really suprising as adobe have gone this way and essentailly Apple have
too you buy the device and get **free updates** for the 'life' of the product
which is one reason why Apple devices are a bit more expensive to buy.

nonsense. the price of apple products has absolutely nothing whatsoever
to do with updates and are comparable to prices of similar competing
products, plus android and windows also have free updates, for devices
that often cost *more*.
Old August 14th 18, 04:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 14/08/2018 09:57, nospam wrote:
In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61443795

Not really suprising as adobe have gone this way and essentailly Apple have
too you buy the device and get **free updates** for the 'life' of the product
which is one reason why Apple devices are a bit more expensive to buy.

nonsense. the price of apple products has absolutely nothing whatsoever
to do with updates and are comparable to prices of similar competing
products, plus android and windows also have free updates, for devices
that often cost *more*.

I'm not sure if this is the point that either of you are
making/disputing, but doesn't Apple provide some quite decent software -
Pages, Garageband, Keynote and so on - that you don't get with Windows?

--
Cheers, Rob
Old August 14th 18, 05:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Not really suprising as adobe have gone this way and essentailly Apple
have
too you buy the device and get **free updates** for the 'life' of the
product
which is one reason why Apple devices are a bit more expensive to buy.

nonsense.

You'rer talking ****.

nope. that would be you, as usual.

Apple doesn;t charge for updates or upgrades to new OS's so the cost must be
included in the price of the device.

nor does microsoft or google.

updates to windows 10 and android are free.

in fact, today is patch tuesday and another free update will be
available.

the price of apple products has absolutely nothing whatsoever
to do with updates and are comparable to prices of similar competing
products,

That can;t be compared that easily.

Software doesn't get written for free.

nobody said it did.

plus android and windows also have free updates, for devices
that often cost *more*.

how about free upgrades how free was windows 7 windows 8 and now windows 10

how free was macos 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 and 10.7?
iphone os even had a paid upgrade.

check on amazon and then see how much the last few Apple OS's are.

Why can't I have a free copy of windows for my mac ?

whoosh.

Old August 14th 18, 05:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

MS doesn't opertate like this as it charges for a new OS and office depending
how you want to pay for it.

windows 10 updates are free.
Old August 14th 18, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 14/08/2018 17:08, nospam wrote:
In article , RJH wrote:

Not really suprising as adobe have gone this way and essentailly Apple
have
too you buy the device and get **free updates** for the 'life' of the
product
which is one reason why Apple devices are a bit more expensive to buy.

nonsense. the price of apple products has absolutely nothing whatsoever
to do with updates and are comparable to prices of similar competing
products, plus android and windows also have free updates, for devices
that often cost *more*.

I'm not sure if this is the point that either of you are
making/disputing, but doesn't Apple provide some quite decent software -
Pages, Garageband, Keynote and so on - that you don't get with Windows?

yep, also for free.

Well, I'd have to agree with Dave on this - it's not free. If Apple
didn't provide the software, then I'd have thought their computers would
be cheaper.

--
Cheers, Rob
Old August 14th 18, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , RJH wrote:

Not really suprising as adobe have gone this way and essentailly Apple
have
too you buy the device and get **free updates** for the 'life' of the
product
which is one reason why Apple devices are a bit more expensive to buy.

nonsense. the price of apple products has absolutely nothing whatsoever
to do with updates and are comparable to prices of similar competing
products, plus android and windows also have free updates, for devices
that often cost *more*.

I'm not sure if this is the point that either of you are
making/disputing, but doesn't Apple provide some quite decent software -
Pages, Garageband, Keynote and so on - that you don't get with Windows?

yep, also for free.

Well, I'd have to agree with Dave on this - it's not free.

they are free.

If Apple
didn't provide the software, then I'd have thought their computers would
be cheaper.

you thought wrong.

macs and iphones are competitively priced, often cheaper than the
alternatives.

also, pcs didn't go up in price with windows 10 updates being free.
Old August 14th 18, 08:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

On 14/08/2018 18:35, nospam wrote:
In article , RJH wrote:

[...]

I thought differently :-)

I think it's a culture thing. I have a group of friends who constantly
celebrate 'freebies'. We go to pubs where they claim they get a 'free
pint' if they buy 4. It's not free. They had to buy 4 to get it. And
then add insult because they didn't want 5 in the first place. But
somehow manage to cram it in ;-)

Same as the BOGOF syndrome - with a similar (if more benign) waste
dimension. I wonder how many people actually use Mac WP etc software?

Somebody, somewhere, pays. It is not free. If you want to think the
software's free, be my guest.

But you'd be wrong :-)

--
Cheers, Rob
Old August 14th 18, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , RJH wrote:

[...]

no, you thought wrong.

apple's product prices did not increase to cover the cost of pages,
garageband, keynote and the operating system when they all became free.

put another way, if apple were to start charging for that, the prices
of the computers and phones would not decrease.

I think it's a culture thing. I have a group of friends who constantly
celebrate 'freebies'. We go to pubs where they claim they get a 'free
pint' if they buy 4. It's not free. They had to buy 4 to get it. And
then add insult because they didn't want 5 in the first place. But
somehow manage to cram it in ;-)

did the price of 4 pints go up to cover the cost of the free 5th from
when it wasn't ree? or is it just a promo, to get more customers? hint:
the latter.

many stores offer free samples of food and even wine. you don't need to
buy anything to partake. someone could be a mooch and go store to store
munching on the free samples and even getting a bit of a buzz. the idea
is that you buy whatever it is they're sampling, but you don't have to.
Old August 15th 18, 01:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

MS doesn't opertate like this as it charges for a new OS and office
depending
how you want to pay for it.

windows 10 updates are free.

And annoying.

true.

They aren't an option unless you go through a convoluted
process to stop them

bad idea

and they balk at installing if you have any kind of
safety program running, which most do.

use the built in windows security.