Compress different parts of a pix by different amounts?

Old October 5th 07, 07:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
mike

Default Compress different parts of a pix by different amounts?

I don't know the proper terms, but here's the idea.
Take a big pix at high resolution (eg spectators at a football game).
Use a combination of pixel scaling and compression to
get a highly compressed picture, small file size, picture 1.
Print picture 1.
Print the original picture.
Take scissors and cut out small parts of the high resolution
(eg a face)
pix and glue them on Picture 1 in the right places.

Wanna do that digitally.

I want small file size. I want the big picture for context.
I want high resolution in a few small parts of the picture.
I'd like to render the picture on a windows PC without extra stuff.
Would be nice to be able to put the pix on a website and have
a standard PC browser render it correctly. I want it freeware.

Ideas?
Thanks, mike

--
Return address is VALID!
Old October 5th 07, 07:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Bartram

"mike" wrote

I don't know the proper terms, but here's the idea.
Take a big pix at high resolution (eg spectators at a football game).
Use a combination of pixel scaling and compression to
get a highly compressed picture, small file size, picture 1.
Print picture 1.
Print the original picture.
Take scissors and cut out small parts of the high resolution
(eg a face)
pix and glue them on Picture 1 in the right places.

Wanna do that digitally.

Don't know if this is exactly what you mean, but XAT.COM Image Optimizer has
a 'magic compression' setting that only selects areas of unchanging colour
and density and hammers those while leaving the intricate areas alone. I use
it for compressing files to below a certain size for uploading to a website,
and it seems to work well. I think the older versions are now freeware, or
the current ones are available for trial.

Paul

Old October 5th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JL

Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 (12) does it but not freeware.
And it creates the html code for including in the webpage.

Using PSP, you cut the image in rectangles and apply a different compression
rate to each different rectangle.

You may download the trial version (30 days) on www.corel.com. The trial
version is the complete version but limited in time.

Cordialement,
Jean-Luc ernst
www.digigrey.com

ZGkNi.28388$Ww5.2186@trnddc03...

Old October 5th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mike

Paul Bartram wrote:
"mike" wrote

[...]

Thanks for the tip.
I tried it. In an uncontrolled experiment on one picture, I found it
to be ineffective.
Started with an 800KB jpg at 98% quality level.
Loaded that into the xat program. With the quality slider at 50% and
"magicness slider at 50% the
output file size was about what I got with Irfanview.
Maximum magicness reduced the file size a few percent.
Minimum magicness increased the file size 20%.
If you just move the magicness slider, you do see a difference in file
size, mostly on the bigger end.
But when compared to Irfanview, it's not very impressive.
You get more benefit from reducing the quality level a point.

For the pictures I tried, it's not very magic.

As I described in the original question, the crowd picture
is gonna be very busy. I don't expect anything automatic to
work.
I think I need to compress MANUALLY SELECTED areas differently.
I remember tripping over such a program once, but have no idea the
context or location. And my freeware constraint is likely to be
a show-stopper.
mike

--
Return address is VALID!
Old October 5th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
mike

JL wrote:
Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 (12) does it but not freeware.
And it creates the html code for including in the webpage.

Using PSP, you cut the image in rectangles and apply a different compression
rate to each different rectangle.

You may download the trial version (30 days) on www.corel.com. The trial
version is the complete version but limited in time.

Thanks, but 326MB download, $99 and HUGE system requirements put it
out of the range of feasibility. I'll build a system to try it,
tomorrow when the download finishes... just for fun, but it won't be
practical for me.

Anything lighter weight that will run in win2k available?
mike

Old October 5th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

On Oct 5, 2:18 am, mike wrote:
[...]

I suppose if you wanted the maximum result, you need to create two
layers. The bottom layer is the entire picture. Take that image and
reduce it's size (in dpi) but keep it the same position in your
software. Usually a screen is 72 dpi, so say, for the sake of
argument you reduce it to 36 dpi. That's 1/4th the size. Then take
the top (full resolution) image and cut out everything but the faces.
Then merge the layers and export as a jpg. I believe that will let
your compression software work better because you're gotten rid of
lots of detail.

Alternatively, you could set your colors in the "low res" area to, say
8 color, and keep the faces at full color and reduce the data that way.

Old October 5th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Oct 5, 1:18 am, mike wrote:
[...]

Many compression schemes, like the one used in JPEG and others, DO
compress some parts of an image more than others.

Old October 5th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike S.

In article eqqNi.6420$n92.5987@trnddc06, mike wrote:
Paul Bartram wrote:
"mike" wrote

[...]

JPG Wizard from Pegasus Imaging lets you manually select areas and group
them according to the amount of compression (versus the rest of the
image). V2 is payware but there is a "last freeware" copy of V1.x floating
around somewhere.

Old October 5th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Paul Bartram wrote:
"mike" wrote

[...]

Jpeg compression does that. You can help it along by masking out the
detailed areas and blurring the unimportant areas, then the compression
will be stronger in the blurred areas. Probably even non-lossy
compression (png?) would work with that trick.

--
Paul Furman Photography
http://edgehill.net
Old October 5th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin[_2_]

mike wrote:
[...]

In an image editor like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, you can
select parts of the photo and blur them. All parts of an
image must have the same number of pixels per inch, but they
don't have to be equally sharp. Another way to make one
part of the image stand out is to leave it in color while
making the rest grayscale.