Sunny 16 rule?

Old August 30th 04, 01:07 AM

In message ,
Alan Browne wrote:

From time to time you will see postings that suggest the
manufacturers do not follow the ISO sensitivity very well.

Which could mean that claims of noise at specific ISOs are meaningless.

If camera A has the same noise at ISO 200 that camera B has at ISO 100,
who's to say that they both not really ISO 140, and have the same noise?
--

John P Sheehy

Old August 30th 04, 01:11 AM

In message ZisYc.110794$Lj.34249@fed1read03,
"Mark M" wrote:

"Ken Scharf" wrote in message
Does the "sunny 16" exposure rule apply to
digicams?

Only as a rough guide.
You will discover that it is often too dark with either digital or slide
film.
You'll have to experiement with your camera.
As for my 10D, 16 is usually too dark.
F11 is closer--but then it varies a lot due to atmospheric conditions and
other factors.

The best-looking unaltered exposures of the embedded JPEGs (and
default-processed RAW files) of scenes taken under seeming "sunny f16"
conditions with my 10D work out to be "sunny f10", on the average.
--

John P Sheehy

Old August 30th 04, 02:19 AM
Peter Irwin

grim wrote:
"Peter Irwin" wrote
You do realise that 7% is just under one tenth of a stop?

A seven percent variation in light is really pretty tiny.

Yeah, which is why I said it's just one variable among other more important
ones to consider when using the "sunny 16" rule. Atmospheric haze, altitude,
dryness of the air, angle of the sun above the horizon, reflections, etc.,
etc., etc.

It is remarkable how often the rule is within a half stop of the
reading from an incident light meter. The angle of the sun
above the horizon makes less difference than you would think
except for the first two hours after sunrise and the last two
hours before sunset. Haze is something you have to judge and allow
for. Reflections are covered under the "light sand or snow" f/22
part of the rule, of course the same correction must be applied
to cloudy bright, so cloudy bright on light sand or snow should
be f/11.

7% here, 10% there, 20% elsewhere... it all makes for a "rule" that is a
pretty poor "rule". The sun isn't nearly as dependable as Roland implies.
I'd throw out the rule and use the camera's light meter.

Using a light meter is a really good idea, but I think if you
gave the rule a fair test you would be surprised how close
it will get you under bright sky conditions.

Peter.